Options

Safari Hat??

Do you consider a safari hat essential?

dorfm258896_143517_lg.jpg

I expect 'll be wearing the typical safari garb- with a dash of Deet/Permethrin for flavoring, but my mental self-image does not include a hat. Except when I was in the Navy, I have never worn a hat of any sort, including a ball cap, etc. It is just not me. While shopping for other trip essentials, I keep trying on ball caps, floppy and stiff safari hats, outback hats, cowboy/Stetson hats, fedoras, Panama hats, etc., etc. , even a pith helmet. I'm not really into fashion, and while the man in the mirror won't use the word "dork", it is just not a good look for me. I'm no Indiana Jones. Though it is thinning, I still have (mostly gray) hair on my head.

So, what is your take on wearing a safari hat? Is it really more than a fashion statement? Is the sun really that strong? Any recommendations? Back flap?

Thanks.

p.s. I haven't worn a hat since I retired this one:

big-u-u.s.-navy-officer-hat-for-commander-and-captain-3340.jpg?int

Comments

• Options
    Went on this tour and even though I am not a hat person either, it is essential.
  • Options
    We did this tour last year in January and found that the hats were quite necessary especially on the daily game drives. We bought Tilley hats that we could fold up or otherwise crush in our backpacks/duffel bags when we didn't need them. Have a great time!
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    Do you consider a safari hat essential?

dorfm258896_143517_lg.jpg

I expect 'll be wearing the typical safari garb- with a dash of Deet/Permethrin for flavoring, but my mental self-image does not include a hat. Except when I was in the Navy, I have never worn a hat of any sort, including a ball cap, etc. It is just not me. While shopping for other trip essentials, I keep trying on ball caps, floppy and stiff safari hats, outback hats, cowboy/Stetson hats, fedoras, Panama hats, etc., etc. , even a pith helmet. I'm not really into fashion, and while the man in the mirror won't use the word "dork", it is just not a good look for me. I'm no Indiana Jones. Though it is thinning, I still have (mostly gray) hair on my head.

So, what is your take on wearing a safari hat? Is it really more than a fashion statement? Is the sun really that strong? Any recommendations? Back flap?

Thanks.

p.s. I haven't worn a hat since I retired this one:

big-u-u.s.-navy-officer-hat-for-commander-and-captain-3340.jpg?int

Funny ... I retired that same hat. My wife and I both have Tilleys. Great hats that when worn properly will not blow off. The retaining device is a strap that goes behind your head an 'below' your jaw without being 'cinched' ... It is loose. And the hat itself is not sized to be tight on your head. You buy a size that allows room for two fingers flat against your forehead at the head band.
  • Options
    Yes, I consider a hat essential, the pic you posted is perfect, chin strap so it does not blow off and gives ear and neck protection and more insect protection if you go when more insects common. Hey and it protects against aging and skin cancer, that's why we former Brits look so young for our age, we didn't get much sun in jolly old England!
    But! If you walked by in that lovely hat in your second photo, I would certainly sit next to you at dinner!
  • Options
    "Where did you get that hat? Where did you get that tile?
    Isn't it a nobby one, and just the proper style?…"

I can see what you mean, British….;)
  • Options
    Ah! .. The George Spartels song. Stanley Holloway did a great version.

Good brain exercise Jan.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, Alan, you really do need a hat for this trip! I, too, hate hats and do look dorky in most of them. With that said, I started sporting one years ago when many of my sun-loving friends began having trouble from extended sun exposure. I then started wearing "jaunty" straw ones but could not easily pack them for travel. The travel ones stayed bent and misshapen and I looked as if I had fallen down a mine shaft! On a trip to Greece I tried a baseball cap, but it did not give me enough sun protection on the sides, and the sun there was soooo hot! So, next year, for the Galapagos trip, I bought a packable hat with an all-around brim that made me look like an inverted flower pot when I wore it. But, who was going to make fun of me??? The blue-footed boobies???
    When it came to Africa, I broke down and bought the Tilly hat that you picture. My husband had smarted up and has been using that hat for years (his is the model that has a vented strip near the crown). It is not cheap, but after this trip, I am so glad I had it. The sun protection is excellent. The mesh vent keeps one's head cool. And, most importantly you really need both the chin strap and the back strap. We encountered some fierce wind (in fact, my husband did not have the back strap secured and his blew off as the driver was maneuvering the truck to get a better view of cheetahs on the prowl...fortunately, he got the hat back). You spend a lot of time in open vehicles and it's tough to predict where the sun will strike. The Tilly hats are also washable which is a nice feature AND they are guaranteed. My husband's first hat shrunk when it was first washed and they replaced it!
    While the temperatures were fairly moderate while we were there (in the 80's), the sun was quite intense. As far as the neck...now, those with the neck cover are REALLY dorky hats!! My apologies to anyone who loves that style. My neck stayed protected with my buff, which I wore daily as the dust was so bad. Of course, the bee did get caught in my buff and stung me in the neck when I brushed it away...oh, well...nothing is perfect!! But, bottom line, Alan...bring a good hat!
    Joyce
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You guys and gals are great! A hat it is! Seems like Tilley is the hat of choice and they sure have a lot of models!

Sealord- yup, USNA followed by 22 1/2 years in aviation- EA-6B Prowlers plus the usual desk jobs in the Pentagon and afloat staff during Desert Shield.

British- An Officer and a Gentleman which was filmed near Whidbey Island, Washington where I was stationed (a couple of friends appeared as extras, one, a Marine had a speaking role!) and a few years later Top Gun sure boosted the image and perpetuated the myth of Naval Aviators. It had great transference for those of us who didn't look like Richard Gere or Tom Cruise, too! I got married in my dress whites.

Joyce- When I get a chance, I'll send you an email about the Galapagos. I'm not sure when we will go but it looks like the next US State Department posting for my daughter and son-in-law may be in South America next year. I am thinking about tacking a visit with them on one end of a Tauck Peru-Galapagos tour.

Speaking of dorky- today I tried on one of the hats with a back flap- my wife said the way the flap stuck out on each side of my head- like big, long ears- made me look like Jar Jar Binks! Ouch!

Of course the way I attract mosquitoes, I should get one of these

rotflm.gif

41bqot9KH2L.jpg

• Options
    Looks more like Scheherazade does Foreign Legion. But heck, anything beats being a mozzy buffet. I know all about that.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    You guys and gals are great! A hat it is! Seems like Tilley is the hat of choice and they sure have a lot of models!

Sealord- yup, USNA followed by 22 1/2 years in aviation- EA-6B Prowlers plus the usual desk jobs in the Pentagon and afloat staff during Desert Shield.

British- An Officer and a Gentleman which was filmed near Whidbey Island, Washington where I was stationed (a couple of friends appeared as extras, one, a Marine had a speaking role!) and a few years later Top Gun sure boosted the image and perpetuated the myth of Naval Aviators. It had great transference for those of us who didn't look like Richard Gere or Tom Cruise, too! I got married in my dress whites.

Joyce- When I get a chance, I'll send you an email about the Galapagos. I'm not sure when we will go but it looks like the next US State Department posting for my daughter and son-in-law may be in South America next year. I am thinking about tacking a visit with them on one end of a Tauck Peru-Galapagos tour.

Speaking of dorky- today I tried on one of the hats with a back flap- my wife said the way the flap stuck out on each side of my head- like big, long ears- made me look like Jar Jar Binks! Ouch!

Of course the way I attract mosquitoes, I should get one of these

rotflm.gif

41bqot9KH2L.jpg

AlanS ... small world. EKA3-B's at Whidbey just before RAG moved to Alameda. I took my handle (Sealord) from the voice callsign of the Oriskany ... my first duty station at sea in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Our Tilleys are the vented TM10 model. My wife liked mine so she just bought the same one.

Which trip are you doing?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Sealord wrote:
    AlanS ... small world. EKA3-B's at Whidbey just before RAG moved to Alameda. I took my handle (Sealord) from the voice callsign of the Oriskany ... my first duty station at sea in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Our Tilleys are the vented TM10 model. My wife liked mine so she just bought the same one.

Which trip are you doing?

You were a few years ahead of me. I actually started in Whales at Alameda in '72, went through the flight/nav portion of the rag and actually went on a CQ det to the Lex off Pensacola (now that was scarey!) before they booted us off because we were too hard on the arresting gear and they had big backlog of students. A number of us were shunted early to VAQ-135 where we ferried a few of our birds to the boneyard at D-a-v-i-s M-o-n-t-h-a-n before moving en mass to Whidbey for transition to EA-6Bs.

I'll look at the T-10.
  • Options
    Um, I think I know what you're talking about. ;) It's like reading German when you're travelling. If you take enough time with it you can get the gist of it. Sort of. I followed Einbahnstraße for ages before I worked out I wasn't going where I thought I was.

Happy Fleet Week!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Um, I think I know what you're talking about. ;) It's like reading German when you're travelling. If you take enough time with it you can get the gist of it. Sort of. I followed Einbahnstraße for ages before I worked out I wasn't going where I thought I was.

Happy Fleet Week!

Cheers,

Jan

Some coincidence ...i've been on that street in Frankfurt, but everyone else seemed to be leaving when I was just arriving. (;-)

I know ... it sounds like English but appears to be in code. I go to the Tailhook Convention in Sparks, Nevada every couple years, and even with 23 years in the Navy, I sometimes can only understand about half of what today's Naval Aviators are talking about. We should probably take this offline as it is a bit off topic. trijet0 at comcast dot net the 0 is the numeral zero. For AlanS ... which safari and date are you doing? I worked out of Hanger 39 from 1970 through 1973 so we may have actually met.
  • Options
    My Tilley has been with me for all 4 safaris as well as trips to Egypt / Israel and Russia. I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT! There was a time when HAIR was all I needed to combat the harshest of tropical sun rays; today, the HAIR has thinned to the point of offering no protection whatsoever. Yes, a hat is essential under the Equatorial sun.

Additionally, you might wish to stuff your "buff" in the little pocket inside the Tilley just in case you run into tsetse flies. Nothing can be more aggravating than the persistent tsetse....Leo M
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Safari hat additionally looks polished , yet most classy cap is floppy hat as it is awesome style articulation . My spouse dependably favour these sort of safari hat and I like the hats of designer forum . They are distinctive and have great gathering with them.
  • Options
    I found the hat on Duluth Trading Co's site.....men's and women's sizes (in safari type colors) for $29.50. I've heard other stories about hats blowing away, so it seems the strap is essential as well as the benefit of the ventilation mesh for comfort from the heat.
  • Options
    I'll cast two more votes for Tilley hats. Both my wife and I wear them. We live in Idaho on the sunny Snake River Plain. Those hats are always with us on our travels about the U.S. West. Ours have been washed multiple times and we've worn them from the Arctic Circle to the Cape of Good Hope. The "stampede straps" have come in handy often.

Allen R.
  • Options
    I hate wearing hats....any kind. I hated wearing my hat in the Navy too, but I had to. I didn't have the scrambled eggs on mine. I thought the "squid" hat looked stupid and was much happier when I was assigned to the Marine Corps (Corpsman) and got to wear their uniform. I couldn't wear USMC dress blues, but I could wear all the other uniforms which looked great. I never understood the Navy dress uniform that allowed my t-shirt to show at a formal affair. I went to a party at the German Embassy and the officers looked so nice in dress blues and there I was in "dress" blues with a t-shirt showing. I know they have changed the dress uniforms for enlisted folks now, which is a good thing.

To the point at hand......I (actually my sister got it for me) took a Tilley hat similar to the one pictured. It was necessary and worked great. I even wear it now when I am driving around in the convertible. It is floppy, easy to wash, and even has a manual and warranty. The strap is not a "chin" strap, it is to be worn behind the head. It works well in keeping the hat on your head. One of the early postings talked about the fitting and you need to have a hat that you can fit two fingers comfortably inside the headband when it is on. The people who sell it to you will know all of the fitting stuff, just trust them.

Enjoy the trip!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It seems like this thread was just resurrected with a post using auto-translation (from ?? to English). I don't know about the "awesome style articulation" :- ) mentioned in kerrycate's post, but I did get a Tilley.

Still 78 days, 23 hours and 11 min. to go (who's counting?), but yesterday I decided to dress out in my safari gear, Tilley and all but sans buff- I forgot to put it on (a bit out of focus):

Safari_garb.jpg
  • Options
    you look so dapper Alan! Don't forget to wear shoes!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Agree with the VERY dapper comment, Alan!! Perhaps the tilt to the side of your Tilley brings the word "dapper" to mind! No shoes? British, he must be practicing standing up on the Safari vehicle seats, for, as we know, Alan is a stickler for detail!! We also assume that this trial run, camera at the ready, means that you are waiting for that leopard in the maple tree out front to come down from his nap, or a lion to come dashing through the family room! Practice those close up shots of an animal on the run!! I frequently ran down my battery zooming in for a close up, losing the subject, zooming back out, finding it, then in again, etc. ! Apparently, I am not a very polished photographer! Another thing to consider, Alan, is a schematic for ALL of those pockets in your vest! Hate to have you need a battery change in the camera and then have to rifle through ten pockets before you find the replacement!!! Only kidding....well, maybe not!! Dying to read what others' reactions are to your "Safari Simulation"!
  • Options
    Yup, no shoes for the photo : ) I also forgot my "man purse"- actually it is a shoulder satchel type leather bag which worked out well for all my toys on our last trip- cameras and laptop during the flight).

Joyce- I'm bringing 3 camera's- GoPro just in case we get some up close action, Canon DSLR w/medium lens - my go to camera, and another Canon DSLR with telephoto lens so I don't have to swap lenses in the dusty environment.
  • Options
    Alan, I hope you get the best ever siting's of animals but only if you share a few incredible photos here!
    Yep, the tilted hat made me think of you looking dapper!
  • Options
    Definitely the best dressed "lion hunter" for Tauck this year!!!!
  • Options
    Hujambo!

There's still time to brush up on your Swahili, Alan, before you go. Here's a phrase for every safari occasion:

Gari langu linaloangama limejaa na mikunga which translates very neatly as:

My hovercraft is full of eels.*

Cheers,

Jan

*Thank you Monty Python. Where would we be without you? http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hovercraft.htm There are lots of other, really useful, phrases, too, mostly not as funny as this one, though.

Health warning: Those who do not appreciate satire should perhaps not follow the link to the actual sketch. Just sayn'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file