Options

Arriving for August 8th Safari

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    British wrote:
    You don't have to find another couple to join you on a tour of the Arusha Park, we did not want to go with anyone else, we wanted to be in control of when where and how, it will just cost more, Just wanted to clarify.
    Alan, did you really find the jetlag bad despite your business class flight, I'm interested since Jan and I generally appear to be the only ones who admit to feeling out of sorts with it and think it is worth arriving earlier to get the brightest and best before the tour begins, plus do some slow paced extra site seeing.

The difference in cost was minimal in view of what the main tour and air fare cost. We were prepared to do the Arusha Nat'l Park tour on our own, but two other people were able to join us as previously arranged. The four of us had a great time. The only issue we had was the gate attendant was new and it took him forever to process our park admission.

I wasn't bothered much by jet lag, especially since we arrived a little after noon the previous day. I think that made a big difference. Perhaps the jet lag was a bit worse than it could have been because just before we left for the airport in the US the nail on my little finger started hurting a tad- but it was barely noticable. By mid-Atlantic, however, I had a raging, throbbing infection which required a visit from a doctor at the Lake Duluti later that evening! Needless to say, I didn't get much quality sleep on the trip over. The business class seating in the Ethiopian Airlines 777-300 (and also in the 777-200 on our fight home) was a pleasant surprise, really much better than expected- fully horizontal lay-flat, not angle flat!

I was really very pleasantly surprised with ET overall and really want to thank those here who paved the way and posted their impressions- LLVicky, ndvb, Sealord, etc. The connecting flight from Addis Ababa to Kilimanjaro was on a new wide-body 787-8 Dreamliner, which was really a surprise for just a 2.5 hour flight! There were only 7 of us in Business class. You can't beat ET business fares, also. They recently joined Star Alliance so if you have miles it might save you even more. Addis Ababa's Bole airport (ET's home base) was underwhelming at best and a bit confusing, but we managed to connect with no problem on the way over and since we were experienced, it was even easier on the way home. I really didn't get a chance to check out coach, but from what I've read I probably wouldn't ride back there on such a long flight. But business class which ET calls "Cloud Nine," was great. There is a ton of leg room with the seat upright, enough that other passengers could be tempted to use the space as a cross-isle- it is that spacious! There was still plenty of room with the seat partially reclined/foot rest partially raised. In the fully-flat position, I (at 5'9") had at least 7" - 8" of leg room to spare! The biggest issue with that is while the entertainment system's seat-back-mounted monitors are comparatively very large, 16"+/- , they fell at a distance that made it nearly impossible for me to see clearly with or without my reading cheaters- but I managed : ). The pillows were crappy, however.

I suggest anyone thinking about Africa trips look into ET. They fly non-stop from Dulles and Toronto to Addis Ababa with a convenient connecting flight to Kilimanjaro. After stopping at Kilimanjaro, the flight continues to Zanzibar, then back to Addis so can probably be used for the Serengeti to Zanzibar tour. Additionally, they provide service to Jo'burg and will soon start service to Capetown so may be a viable option for the Zambia/Botswana/SA and the SA, Elegant Adventure tours.

Jet lag was worse on the return leg, this time partially due to the fact I had a bit of Africa's revenge- I ate the lettuce : ( .

• Options
    Maybe we will look at the airline for our Botswana as trip next uear. Thanks for your thoughts me photos Alan!
  • Options
    Alan, I am glad to hear your trip was a success!!!! It's great when a plan comes together and works.

This is a great tour and well run (thanks, Seth). The guides do a great job and Seth has things running like clock works.

ET flights are (were) great for me. Business class was comfortable and the service was top notch. Service in the Nairobi airport left something to be desired. I almost missed my flight after approaching the staff and asking if we were boarding for my flight and being told not yet. Then I noticed some people I knew were on the flight finally getting on and I asked if I should board. The response was a terse "We've been boarding for 45 minutes, you should already be onboard!" But, I made it and all went well from there.

Your pictures look great and I'm betting there are a couple thousand more to go through.

It is Thursday morning, 2 July, around 0930 here in London. My family has been here for a week and we are getting a little later start than usual. Yesterday was a SCORCHER!!!! We did the Wimbledon queues for a couple of hours and got pretty red from the sun. It took a bit out of them, especially the kids, but we enjoyed seeing the event, venue, and matches. We walked about 10 miles (which I've done daily, along with a few more miles) but it was the toughest 10 miles of the trip, for me. I was hot, hot, hot, sweaty, sweaty, sweaty. I was sweating like a sinner in church.

I'm amazed at how much the 7 and 8 year olds have enjoyed the museums, and sights. They loved Churchill's War Museum (which by the way, has made HUGE, WORTHWHILE changes since I last visited it). I figured they might get a bit bored, but not in the least.

Called the Queen, but she didn't return my messages....go figure. OK, off to the National Museum and National Portrait Museum for the morning....who knows what my daughter has planned for the afternoon.

Anyway, just wanted to make a quick stop and thank Alan for his posts on Africa and congratulate him on a great trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file