Options

Tauck Air

Has anyone booked their air through Tauck? Were the routing and aircraft pleasing? We want to book business class from California. Any tips or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure if you meant air specifically about this tour, if so I cannot help. If, have I booked air through Tauck before, the answer is yes many times for the following reasons. This is how it works with Tauck, they have contracts with specific airlines where they can get special 'deals' for business class in particular. Before we realized how it all worked, we did book our flights with them, but then we realized there were better routes and nearer airports and times that would suit our needs much better. But Tauck will book ANY flights for you at the market price on the day you book it with them, BUT you do not pay for that flight until you get your final bill, sixty days before your vacation, it may be 90 days for cruises, only taken land tours with them. So it is easier to change flights before then and in the event of cancelled or changed flights, you have the back up of Tauck to help you make changes. They cannot help if you book independently with them. These reasons make us book with them, but when and where we choose. It may be more important to you to maybe get a better price elsewhere. Only you know what is best for your situation.
  • Options
    Thanks, British! Your experience is quite helpful.
  • Options
    If you wanted to upgrade to economy plus seats you have to pay to for your air tickets at the time you book.
    Otherwise, you have to wait until Tauck books the ticket...60 days before departure. No payment advantage there.
  • Options
    HuskerBob wrote:
    If you wanted to upgrade to economy plus seats you have to pay to for your air tickets at the time you book.
    Otherwise, you have to wait until Tauck books the ticket...60 days before departure. No payment advantage there.

I beg to differ Husker Bob, we use Economy plus frequently these days and it makes no difference, you still do not pay until 60 days before. Our last tour was in September with Tauck and that was exactly what we did, unless things have changed?
  • Options
    We just came back from a cruise and booked/paid for our airfare back in May well before the final payment date for the cruise.

British, you're right that you still don't have to pay until Taucks final payment date (90 days for cruises) but according to the Tauck agent I spoke to they couldn't do economy comfort - only economy or business. I had to make the Economy Comfort upgrade with the airline directly and I could not do that until the ticket had been paid for. That also meant I couldn't pick our seats until then. Speaking of which..

Before picking your seats, I highly recommend a website called seatguru. You plug in the airline model number and it gives you a complete layout of seats along with reviews of them. I should have followed their advice instead of being overruled by my husband and not chosen the bulkhead seats on our outgoing flight. The reviews were right - the seats were uncomfortably narrow since the tray table has to go in the arm rest and they were close to a noisy kitchen and bathroom. Did much better on the return flight. Plus the upgrade along with Skypriority boarding helped us get through Delta's extra layer of security screening in Amsterdam faster than economy.

Hope Tauck changes its policy wrt to Economy Comfort.
  • Options
    My wife and I also booked our own flights to Budapest and Return from Amsterdam for our July 16th, 2016 trip on the Jewel. I also booked economy comfort because Tauck could not do that. I payed for the Delta flights when I made the reservation and selected my seats.

Claudia is correct. DO NOT BOOK the bulkhead seats. Even though you have a bit more leg room, you have less arm room and it is difficult to get stuff under your seat. We always book economy comfort seats when we fly long distance.
  • Options
    My travel agent told me that (and from experience) I would be "lucky" to find vacant comfort seats available that close (60 or 90 days) prior to departure. I also use Seat Guru to see what the aircraft seating looks like and selecting seats. If the aircraft changes before departure you may have some "talking" to do with the airline to retain good seats.
  • Options
    Marigoh must be very confused. But I will say again that we have flown economy plus, premium economy --the airlines vary the names with Tauck more than once. Maybe it is Delta that is the problem. We try to avoid Delta if we can based on a bad experience many years ago when we were a party of six including grandparents and they would not check us in and they were bumping people off the flight right and left, my inlaws were very upset, even though they boarded us in the end they never explained they wer trying to keep us together. We have never had that happen since and if we can we avoid Delta. On our last tour in September we flew premium economy, we asked Tauck to book us on The Luftahansa flight of our choice. We did notpay for the flights until 60 days before. Our friends joined us, they were first time Tauck customers and loved that they did not pay up front for the flights, especially as we booked a long time in advance.
  • Options
    Economy plus and premium economy are not the same thing.
  • Options
    Different terminology used by different airlines for their versions of "step-up" economy seats.
  • Options
    Good information and an answer to the question I was getting ready to post. If I understand correctly, I can contact Tauck when I find a business class flight with the times that suit us and they will book it at the going price that day. Then we don't pay for it until 60 days in advance. Correct?

If that's the case, I'll use Tauck since I feel more comfortable having all the reservations through them.

Another question is the amount of time needed to clear customs in Europe. A friend told me to allow at least three hours between flights but that seems like a long time.

We haven't flown much since we've been spending time taking car trips through the U.S.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the input. Since we are coming from California we believe we are going to bite the bullet and do business class. Anyone out there flown from California and loved the routing they took. How about preferred airlines by any of you reading this?
    I use seatgur.com, also. I notice that Virgin Atlantic has great reviews, however they seem the most expensive.
    From experience Premium Economy and Economy comfort do vary from aircraft to aircraft and airline to airline.
    Some are recliners and some are not much more than extra legroom and a foot rest. So do check Seat Guru!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Effie wrote:
    Good information and an answer to the question I was getting ready to post. If I understand correctly, I can contact Tauck when I find a business class flight with the times that suit us and they will book it at the going price that day. Then we don't pay for it until 60 days in advance. Correct?

If that's the case, I'll use Tauck since I feel more comfortable having all the reservations through them.

Another question is the amount of time needed to clear customs in Europe. A friend told me to allow at least three hours between flights but that seems like a long time.

We haven't flown much since we've been spending time taking car trips through the U.S.

Yes Effie, correct!
    I have travelled to and from Europe many times over many years. Forget the pre 9/11 days of getting to the airport at the last minute, those days are over for ever. Always allow 3 hours at the airport before your flight. That is also what Tauck recommends and when they take you back to the airport after your tour, you will be at the airport three hours before.
    I think it is a very good idea to leave three hours between connections in Europe. I have often found that some airports are more strict than in the US. You may find that you have to go through more than one security line, even for the same flight. If your first flight is delayed, you can soon find yourself sprinting to the next flight. For that reason alone I recommend shoes that you can run in over shoes that are easy to take off for security, in fact you often don't have to remove your shoes. Also, a carry on bag that you can easily run with. In addition, some airports have a security check point at the gate. This year alone I have been in long lines at Amsterdam. Madrid and Heathrow. Heathrow is a nightmare, you can easily take one and a half hours to negotiate security for a connecting flight. Twice in recent times my incoming flight has been delayed and I have missed connections going through their strict and long security lines.
    The worst I have ever seen was going for a flight in Dar Es Salaam Tanzania, there was a whole series of different security lines to get through for one flight, I am guessing about six to get through, boy were we glad we had plenty of time until our flight left.
    One good thing, many airports have great shops to browse in and free internet, that all helps to pass the time. We also enjoy guessing who on a flight might be a fellow Tauck passenger. Ah, the joys of travel!
    Oh dear, just re-read your post and you meant customs, well the strategy there is to march fast when you get off the plane and get to the head of the line, have your customs forms filled out in advance and do not be carrying any illegal items like fruit or bacon, yes the Brits try to smuggle bacon into the US! Whatever time you arrive in Europe for the start of a Tauck tour, early or late, your Tauck transport will be waiting for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Take a good look at Business Class on Air New Zealand, Flt 2 from LAX to LHR, then on to BUD on British Airways. ANZ is one fine airline with superb service. The BUD leg is about 1:30 from Heathrow. We booked business once again for about 2 grand less on each ticket than Tauck by going through an air consolidator through our travel agent. We have done ANZ from LAX to LHR and it is a great flight in business.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A comment about Virgin Business Class- supposedly good, especially their lounges, however if you are traveling with a companion, look closely at how the seats are arranged. Many of the business seats on Virgin aircraft make it difficult if not impossible to converse with your traveling companion.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The first time I ever flew business class was about 25 years ago, it was from England to Japan and it was awesome. Seats very far apart, champagne, home made chocolates, chocolate ices during the movies. The ticket included a free limo pick up from our home to London, about 100 mile journey. And a free manicure on the flight, (in those days it was not an everyday occurrence in England to get able to get a professional manicure) or at the airport before the flight, or a massage. I rarely fly business class but I still remember that journey as a fabulously indulgent experience. We used to use Virgin to fly to the US on vacation and our children loved the free goodie backpack. Sadly they do not use our local US airport or we would still be flying Virgin. Would love to know if they still include all those perks.
    I do think I could manage not talking to my traveling companion if it meant extra comfort!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Another Business Class cabin to be aware of- For medium haul flights within Europe, Africa, and middle east, Air France uses the Airbus A318, A319, A320, A321 series. They have the same standard Economy seat with limited pitch and recline and the same 3 - 3 seating plan throughout the entire plane. The only difference is that in the Business Class section they put tables over the middle seats! That way they can easily adjust the size of each cabin - good for them, bad for the Business Class traveler. We get to check it out in May as our connecting flight from Charles de Gaulle to Naples is on an A319. Oh, and they don't assign seats until check in!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the Air New Zealand tip from LAX to LHR. I will check it out, as well as Virgin Atlantic.

I have traveled business class on Air France on the 319 ..320 connecting within Europe and yes no true business class cabin. From Tououse we had no jet way and had to carry our carry on bags up the stairs into the plane.

British Airways has great prices, but the reviews are not good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file