New Tauck River Cruise attire guidelines

2»

Comments

• I'll bet the Aussies might be able to read the new forums, but like the Brits, now, can not post or PM. :/

• One of mine posts on this thread back in 2016 was "Unless someone is wearing something so horrible it's literally distracting you from the wonderful meal the ship's crew is serving you - who cares?". I stand by that.

The river cruise dressing has certainly gotten more casual since our first cruise in 2014 and even the crew dresses more casually. I have seen some interesting dressing though including a lady who showed up at a welcome dinner in a nice long dress and lace up canvas sneakers. A free spirit.

• I'm with you, AustinGirl. We enjoy dressing up, especially when traveling. I define dressing up as wearing appropriate attire for the occasion, venue, etc. We enjoy fine dining in nice restaurants and dress accordingly. It is a personal choice.

I don't care what other people wear, nor should anyone care what I wear. I do strongly believe, however, that travelers should show respect for the host country. Old school? Perhaps, but it was how I was raised.

• I don't care what other people wear, nor should anyone care what I wear. I do strongly believe, however, that travelers should show respect for the host country. Old school? Perhaps, but it was how I was raised.

Totally in agreement with you.

• edited January 2023

The issue is that the interpretation and definition of "wearing appropriate attire for the occasion" has changed and continues to evolve. Who is to say what is appropriate any more? Unless the establishment requires specific attire, wear what is comfortable (physically and socially) and pleases you. I remember when my dad was traveling and agonized over buying a white dinner jacket and cummerbund for a Tauck cruise! All of us have our own opinions about what we would like to see people wearing, but frankly, we don't get to decide other than with our dollars and feet. I may not understand them and don't like to see people wearing manufactured already-worn-out, holy jeans in many places, but I don't get a say. Heck, I don't like tattoos either, but again . . .

• I do not like tats either, especially on women or should I say females. I am a Marine and do not like them!!

• It's a good thing Alan and wildcat weren't on a Tauck trip we did stopping in NYC a few years ago. Hotel was having a conference of folks who were fully tattooed- guy got on the elevator whose showing skin was covered- and he had tattoos on his eyeballs!

• :D After my freshman year at Annapolis we went to sea for a few weeks for summer training. It was reported one of the enlisted sailors on the ship I was assigned to and was known to experience many benders, had 34 tattoos all over his body, including one on a private area. :o

• AlanS the guy was a 'swabbie'. Can not expect anything different from a taxi driver for the Marines.

• Not quite a "swabbie" I was a "Naval Officer," more precisely a Naval Flight Officer- "Goose" not "Maverick." :D