Options

Elephant in the Room?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    One possible exception might be Classic Italy, Small Groups. Only a few departures for this extremely popular trip are sold out for the first half of the summer (May - 3 July). I have been following it for the past year so know for a fact that a few months ago many of the "Limited Space" departures during this period were previously shown as "Sold Out." Departures for the second half of the summer, from 3 July through the end of September (the hottest time in Italy), however, are all sold out. There are any number of reasons for this, so I really don't know what it means.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I am beginning to realize that there is a bigger number of people than I suspected that book a number of tours way in advance but have no intension of taking them all, I have overheard others on tour saying that is what they do and therefore blocking dates for those of us who cannot always book so far in advance, make other plans, and then find too late that dates have opened up. That's definitely an unexpected reason along with illness, death, natural disasters and terrorism events. This is certainly a disadvantage of Tauck's generous cancellation policies.
  • Options
    The first time I heard about people cancelling after booking a trip was last year. My friend and I were in seats 1&2 even though our trip number showed we booked after others. The TD said she almost never has had 1&2 on a trip. Myself I have never booked a trip I did not go on, so far. On to northern Italy next week.
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    The first time I heard about people cancelling after booking a trip was last year. My friend and I were in seats 1&2 even though our trip number showed we booked after others. The TD said she almost never has had 1&2 on a trip. Myself I have never booked a trip I did not go on, so far. On to northern Italy next week.

We were a 1&2 for Ireland last year but had to cancel just days prior to departure. Since the tours were filling rapidly, we quickly rebooked for this year. Then, when Tauck added a new departure with better dates for us, we switched, so we are a 1&2 again! : )
  • Options
    So today we hear about more terrorist horrors on the other side of the world. But we will be on the other side of the Atlantic soon, and the more that people continue to travel, the less the impact of these horrific acts will have on creating fear. I will not let this recent incident on Egypt Air cause me any second thoughts; only sorrow for the innocent people needlessy killed for no reason other than to try and change our desired way of life. Travel on!!
  • Options
    Looks like the elephant has shown up in Istanbul. Such a shame that the terrorists have put this great city off limits for now! Had a great trip to Germany, Budapest and London with no thoughts or fear of harm, but for the time being, so long Istanbul. Don't know how Tauck or Windstar (which we have sailed several times from Istanbul to Athens) will deal with this, but as much as I don't believe in changing my plans, this is not the time of stick to principles. Maybe others think differently!
  • Options
    Sorry to see the White Elephant come back in a White Truck. I am sure many Tauck travelers have walked on that same promenade that became a blood bath tonight. Still want to remain unfazed, but it is so difficult to see such a beautiful and great city brutalized with so many dead and injured innocent people. Is our reality changing? This just stinks!
  • Options
    The White Elephant has moved to Munich? Domestic or foreign, ISIS or not, its not easy to plan travel and stay safe. It looks like the Elephant will be around for a while, but if you keep you eyes open, you can look out for him and enjoy your travels. Scary, however, that we just got back from Germany and I am glad he showed up after we left. Thoughts?
  • Options
    The elephants are in the hotel lobby!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NdTII_unZSA
  • Options
    Amazing!
  • Options
    AlanS, these are beautiful animals and are welcome into the room. The white elephant no on wants to speak about is hiding behind a mask with an AK47 or a bomb vest strapped to its belly. This is the one we choose to ignore and I still think we have to be cognizant of this other elephant and encourage dialogue to see the reaction of other travelers to that threat we don't want to talk about. From what I have seen from your posts, you and I are on the same page. Keep traveling and enjoy life without being scared by the elephant in the room! Just remember he is there!!
  • Options
    Sandman wrote:
    AlanS, these are beautiful animals and are welcome into the room. The white elephant no on wants to speak about is hiding behind a mask with an AK47 or a bomb vest strapped to its belly. This is the one we choose to ignore and I still think we have to be cognizant of this other elephant and encourage dialogue to see the reaction of other travelers to that threat we don't want to talk about. From what I have seen from your posts, you and I are on the same page. Keep traveling and enjoy life without being scared by the elephant in the room! Just remember he is there!!

I didn't intend to make light of the topic, but my brother just sent me the link and asked about our experiences on K&T. I thought it was great so just had to post it.

The other elephant topic is a sad commentary on our civilization! Heck, it wasn't all that many years ago when you would have to think twice before taking a trip like the one we start in a few days- Tauck's Best of Ireland.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    The elephants are in the hotel lobby!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NdTII_unZSA

Thanks for sharing - that looks fun!
  • Options
    Sandman -- Our next door neighbor is in Munich with her 2 little girls visiting family for the summer. Thankfully they were not near the shopping mall. Another friend's son is getting married in Sept -- his fiancee's mother has a lot of family in France -- and she is getting her gown there. They were at the fireworks in Nice. So close that her father tried to save a little boy and her cousin went to try to help the guy driving the truck because everyone thought he was incapacitated. He was loading his gun -- she screamed GUN -- RUN -- and they took off. While we still firmly believe that anything can happen anywhere at any time and have no intention of changing our travel plans -- after the most recent events and knowing people who were in both places -- I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that I have become a bit less blasé about traveling in the current world situation.
  • Options
    Safe travels, Judy05. Glad your friends came through with only the emotional experience, which had to be horrible. We still have to move forward and not give in to these isolated, but serious and frightening incidents.
  • Options
    Looks like the Elephant has shown up in Sweden. Berlin and Jerusalem just months before. It just seems that we are getting immune to the random attacks in city centers around the world. Is this the new normal? I think so, and that is what stinks. Just my feelings
  • Options
    I totally agree with you, Sandman. I had posted that I am not as blasé about international travel as I once was -- but that has not stopped our travel plans at all. We have two trips planned for this year. My husband was in NY on 9/11 and saw the second plane hit from his office window. A previous boss of his was on the plane that went down in PA. I think that is when we understood that anything can happen anywhere at any time. That knowledge has not stopped us from traveling anywhere in the world we want to go. We have friends who stopped traveling all together. I can understand that reaction too. I think we all just have to do whatever makes us comfortable.
  • Options
    Great post JUDY!
  • Options
    Judy, My wife and I were in New York during 9/11 and will never be able to forget the horror; nor do we want to! I have every New York newspaper from the day after the attacks and share them with my grandkids that have brought them to school to make sure the significance of that day is not forgotten. As far as travel, we also have two trips out of the country this year; one to Europe and one (with Tauck) to Australia and New Zealand. I will not let the elephant get in my way, but it is hard to ignore him as he keeps getting bigger!!
  • Options
    Where I live, the texting drivers scare me more! Enjoy your tours Sandman and please post your experiences when you return. I don't want to think of any elephants apart from the real ones in Africa.
  • Options
    So the elephant in the room crept out onto the Champs Elysees. This one was shot and killed, but you can't help but feel sorry for the policemen shot by this animal. I am sure the Champs Elysees near the Arc de Triomphe is as busy today as always. That is good! We can't change our lives because of perceived threats. I won't and plan on enjoying my upcoming trips abroad!
  • Options
    Hi KM, glad you enjoyed your trip and felt safe abroad. It appears, from responses so far, that Tauck travelers have not been inclined to cancel their plans. We just got our travel pack for May and can't wait to go see Germany!
  • Options
    It has been almost two years that I started this thread with concerns about travel to Europe. The overwhelming consensus seems to agree that life is too short to stay home and cower in fear. Clearly, we can avoid travel abroad and go for a play trip to Vegas. Do I have to say more? Clearly the tragedy last night is beyond comprehension, but it happened. We will be off to Australia and New Zealand in a few weeks and have no concern about what dangers we may encounter, but when else can we go? Why choose to stay home when there is so much so see in our imperfect world? No, I will not venture down dark alleys (I grew up in NYC; too city smart for that), but the benefits of travel out weigh the option of staying home. Just my thought! Wish you all safe travels!
  • Options
    I believe that we can not let world events, no matter how horrible and unthinkable they may be, force us to be isolated in our comfort zones and not allow us to experience the treasures of our planet. We love spending time in Paris, will travel to Brussels in 2018, and won't let the perceived global threats keep us from going abroad or visiting US cities. Life is too short to be kept in hibernation. Enjoy life!
  • Options
    Looks like the Elephant has arrived in New York. I am in the middle of a tour with my wife in Australia and New Zealand and am happy the recent incidents that happened around the world did not deter me, my wife, or the other families on tour from leaving our "protected" safe lives in the United Sates. (Only U.S. citizens on this tour.) How absurd that you can be biking in lower Manhattan when some lunatic decides to drive into so many innocent, unsuspecting people? If this can happen on the streets of NYC, it can happen anywhere, but as bad as this is, it reinforces my desire to keep traveling while i can and hope I never meet the Elephant in the Room!