Options

Classic Italy September 21 - Oct 4

Will be going a day early - anyone else going ??

Phil and Marge

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    We're going on this tour. We're scheduled to check in to the Hilton on 9/20 since there is a blackout at our hotel for that date. This is our first tour with Tauck and I'm excited! I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Faye
  • Options
    It is our 1st trip with Tauck as well - I've heard so many great things about them from others that we had to give them a try :)
  • Options
    Anyone planning to go to Capri on the 21st? We're leaving Cleveland on the 19th, arriving in Sorrento late in the afternoon on the 20th. We're hoping jet lag isn't too bad and we can go to Capri on the 20th.
  • Options
    You need to keep busy right away to sleep in the new time zone. Take the fast boat both ways. There is a window kind of across from ferry dock to take boat all the way around Capri with stop at blue grotto. Then walk to get ticket for Incline to the top. If you want can go to the right and eat with sea view.

When in Rome if you want to see the forum ask the TD. The ticket to Colosseum is a combo ticket and can go in as a group. We caught taxi back to hotel.

This was probably my favorite trip of all 14.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm not sure if there is a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri, I know there is one to Naples, but there is a large, slow ferry and the fast "jet" ferry powered by a water jet like a giant jet ski. It still takes about 20 - 25 min. As Crackers54 said, you can buy tickets right there at the Marina Grande for the 'round the island boat and Blue Grotto. You transfer into a small rowboat to enter the Blue Grotto- do both of those the first thing in the morning, the crowds and wait times can be long later in the day. Also, the wind and waves can often result in the Blue Grotto, boat trips, even the ferries being canceled. The boat trip around the island is wonderful- ours was very nice because we had a guide along with us who told us about the history and pointed out all the villas- Emperor Tiberius built 12- you can visit the remains of the largest- Villa Jovis. The boat captain will give some commentary but it can be hard to hear and did not compare to what our guide gave us. Our guide met us in the hotel lobby and walked with us to the elevator that takes you down to Sorrento's Marina Grande. In Sorrento and Capri he went in a "special" door to purchase tickets, saving us a lot of hassle and time.

After that, we took one of Capri's open-topped taxis to the town of Anacapri where our guide took us around a bit. In addition to other museums and galleries, the Villa Marina Capri Hotel has a free gallery with contemporary photography and sculpture exhibitions by internationally known artists like Erika Calestini, Fabio Donato, Piero Mastroberadino and Lucio e Peppe Perone. We visited (for a small fee) the small Church of St. Michael which was built in 1719. Its has a famous hand painted Majolica tile mosaic floor dating from 1761 depicting the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden. Then we took the chair lift to the highest point on the island- Monte Solaro where we had lunch with a view. The views are fantastic and it is well worth the trip. We could see the entire island, Sorrento, Naples, Ischia, etc.

We took another open-topped taxi back to Capri, walked around there a bit, then rode the funicular down to the Marina Grande before catching the ferry back to Sorrento. We arrived at our hotel at 5:00 and met our fellow travelers at the welcome reception at 6:00. Without a guide, I think we would have wasted a lot of time and had much less interesting day.

You might want to research ferry and boat/grotto tour times and even buy tickets before you go, so you don't waste time trying to figure out the schedules and standing in line for tickets, possibly buy the wrong ticket, etc.

In Rome our Tauck local guide took us through part of the Forum.

Be aware, the schedule in Rome is subject to change, with little notice. We visited the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel in the evening on the day we arrived.
  • Options
    We are arriving Sept 19th. We are staying at the Hotel Antiche Mura Hotel in the center of Sorrento as all the others were full. We are looking forward to the tour and meeting everyone.

Lynn and JIm
  • Options
    Effie wrote:
    Anyone planning to go to Capri on the 21st? We're leaving Cleveland on the 19th, arriving in Sorrento late in the afternoon on the 20th. We're hoping jet lag isn't too bad and we can go to Capri on the 20th.

I hope that is a typo and that you meant you want to go to Capri on the 21st- forget going to Capri on the 20th!
  • Options
    We are arriving on Sept. 19 booked an additional night at La Favorita.

Elayna and Bill
  • Options
    Alan,

It was a typo. We're arriving on the 20th and plan on going to Capri on the 21st.
  • Options
    There are 9 of us going on this trip. It is our first trip to Europe and first trip with Tauck tours. We too are leaving Boston on the 19th, arriving on the 20th and doing the Capri/Blue Grotto tour on the 21st. We did a private tour so that we can head back at our discretion, leaving enough time to get ready and be at the cocktail party to begin the tour!! We are all really excited! We too are hoping that Tauck Tours is everything that it claims to be!
  • Options
    To everyone who hopes Tauck lives up to their expectations. We took our first trip with Tauck in 2012, which was also the Classic Italy tour. This is a super trip. They will take great care of you. We just booked our sixth tour with Tauck. Love them. Have a wonderful time.
  • Options
    Lynn and I are arriving on Monday Sept 19. We are taking the Viator all day tour to Capri and the Blue Grotto pm on the morning of Sept 20. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  • Options
    Marge and I are leaving the 19th from Myrtle Beach and arriving in Naples the 20th around 12 noon (hopefully). We hope to use our extra time to adjust and visit Capri - staying the 1st night at Hilton Sorrento

Sounds like many of you have the pretty much the same idea - has anyone actually booked their Capri tour yet - any advice?

Thanks - so looking forward to this - had it booked last year and had to cancel last minute because of back issues :(

Phil
  • Options
    If all goes well, we should be arriving at the Hilton midday on the 20th. Then we'll see if I'm a walking zombie or have energy to go out and about.

AAA just told me that if I wanted to buy 500 euros it would cost $592. The exchange rate is $562. Is the $30 charge a bit high? Seemed so to me but I don't know much about it.
  • Options
    Effie wrote:
    If all goes well, we should be arriving at the Hilton midday on the 20th. Then we'll see if I'm a walking zombie or have energy to go out and about.

AAA just told me that if I wanted to buy 500 euros it would cost $592. The exchange rate is $562. Is the $30 charge a bit high? Seemed so to me but I don't know much about it.
    No, not high, but you could do better. My bank does not charge me a fee.
  • Options
    You will love this trip! We went this time last year and it was marvelous!!! We went a day early and went to Capri and absolutely loved it! so of our best photos from the whole trip are from Sorento and Capri. It was our very first Tauck tour and our first trip overseas. I'd like to hear from some of you who have gone on other Tauck tours.....what tour is your next favorite that we should do next?? Thanks!
  • Options
    Janet and Marc are arriving a day early!
  • Options
    My husband, Jack, and I are doing the Classic Italy tour leaving Newark, NJ on October 11th. Anyone else leaving NJ that day? Can't wait until the trip begins!
  • Options
    We're leaving from Jacksonville FL on the 17th -- taking the day trip to Capri on the 19th. Our travel agent was able to get us into the Grand Excelsior in Sorrento for the two extra nights. Concerned about the Tauck advice that knees must be covered in any church in Italy. Anyone with any experience there? Looking forward to it :-)
  • Options
    Why are you concerned? You have to follow what is acceptable in the culture of the country. It will be getting cool in Italy by that time too, so you might want to have more body coverage for that alone. As Americans, we want to earn the respect of people in foreign countries by blending in and not looking ridiculous and insensitive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file