Business Class tickets

We have business class tickets and since this is our first time to be on an international flight, I'm not sure what to expect. I've been reading that wearing pajamas is pretty much routine. Is it? There are beds but I never thought about changing into PJ's!

Comments

• Where are you flying from? I've never seen anyone in pajamas on a business class flight -- not even on flights of 13+ hours. Just wear something comfortable and try to relax in your lie-flat bed.
  • edited June 2016
    Well, I rarely fly business class, but when I do, I have never seen anyone in pajamas .If you are flying from the east coast, the flight is barely long enough for much sleep.
  • We've been flying business lately, mostly Delta, and just got back from Classic Italy, Small Groups. We have never seen PJs on any flight (except for teens, mostly female, wearing PJs or sweat pants in any cabin). For really long flights in the super premier cabins that have private cubicles and even rooms, like you may find on Emirates, Etihad, Singapore Airlines and a few others, etc. you may be provided with PJs in your amenity kit.

Depending on airline you can expect seats that are either angle-flat or full flat when reclined and reclining typically does not impact on the passenger behind you. You can also expect priority boarding, champagne (or Proseco) or juice upon boarding, maybe a hot, moist towel, a menu, and unless you tell the pursor you want to sleep, being woken up regularly for more (too much) food. You'll have more space, larger in-flight entertainment screen, headphones, a small amenity bag with socks, sleeping blinder, toothbrush and paste, comb, etc. etc
  • We're flying Delta from Cleveland. I wasn't planning on getting THAT comfortable so I'm happy to hear most people stay in street clothes.

Thanks for the replies.
  • edited June 2016
    Effie wrote:
    We're flying Delta from Cleveland. I wasn't planning on getting THAT comfortable so I'm happy to hear most people stay in street clothes.

Thanks for the replies.

We flew RDU - CDG - NAP on the way over. CDG is big and kinda the pits- up, down, all around to get from our arrival gate to the (Air France) departure gate- more confusing than the airport map and instructions I looked at before we left the US. Our bags were checked through to NAP but we still had to go through security. The quick Delta "Sky Priority" screening at CDG was anything but quick and priority! We had a separate line/screening, but it is unlike in the US where Sky Priority screening is very quick. The Skypriority line was almost as long and moved just as slowly as the other lines, and we had to take off shoes and belts.

The return flight was much better VCE - JFK - RDU. The procedures in Venice airport were a bit strange, however- flying Delta you go down to check in. While in-line we had a "chat" with what at first seemed like a friendly Delta rep. After a few innocuous questions, I realized it was in fact questioning by a security person. She reappeared later at the air-side security screening point near the gate!!

We have Global Entry so zipped right through the CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) formalities at JFK. Our connecting departure gate was quite a walk from the arrival gate. We walked it, but probably should have taken the "Jitney" (Delta shuttle bus). The Delta Skylounge nearest our gate at JFK was very busy (first time at JFK)- we had to stand in line just to get checked in! We were able to find seats. There was plenty of free food (which we didn't need) and fair WIFI.

Suggestion- not that it will necessarily help, review airport maps before you go and/or have the Delta app on your phone or tablet.
  • Effie, I'm attaching a link to a website called Seat Guru that is great for finding out about different seats, amenities, plane layouts, etc. Scroll to the chart at the bottom and with the airline and aircraft model you can find the exact details for your flight. If you click on the "aircraft with seatmap" it will give you the layout of the plane and any positive or negative comments about seats. Wish we'd heeded their warning about our Delta Comfort seats near a bulkhead last year flying to Amsterdam.

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_business_class.php

As for dress, I try to opt for something that will be comfortable on the flight, nice enough that I'm not embarrassed checking into a 4/5 star hotel, and that I can do some casual walking/sight seeing on arrival. Planes are very cold flying over the Atlantic overnight so I bring either a cardigan or ruana wrap to supplement the blanket the airline will provide. Most flights get in so early you often can't check into your room and it's a good idea to have the hotel store your bags, get out, walk around and get some afternoon sunshine (something to do with melatonin production and jet lag).

TTFN
  • Full service airlines do provide "pyjamas" or "leisure suits" in first class on long haul flights. Since I live in a part of the world that takes multiple long haul flights to reach many other parts of the world … I'm grateful I don't have to carry appropriate "in flight" garb in my hand luggage. While on arrival … after flying time alone of 21 hours or longer ... I know that I can look & smell presentable, if eccentric. It takes a little longer for the brain to catch up with the mortal presence. Those who say differently are telling porkies. It might be nicer up front but the human body still has to deal. It's all relative.
  • We've flown Business on both BA and AA on long flights where we were offered (and accepted) pajamas...a great way to be comfortable for 14-15 hr. flights. India, China, Australia are examples (from DFW) when they were offered. Nice touch!
  • jdurkin wrote:
    Full service airlines do provide "pyjamas" or "leisure suits" in first class on long haul flights.

According to Conde' Nast "Airlines that still count pajamas among their premium perks include Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Swiss, ANA, Asiana, Korean Air, Thai Airways, Air India, and the Middle East “big three” of Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways. Even the traditionally stingy U.S. carriers are warming up to in-flight attire; Delta introduced pajamas in Delta One (business class) in December, specific to its Los Angeles to Sydney and Los Angeles to Shanghai routes. American Airlines, who have long suited up their Flagship First Class passengers, responded by adding pajamas in business class for the new 15-hour route from Los Angeles to Sydney."
  • Yes but a flight to Italy is hardly a 'long' flight.
  • My husband used to have people working for him in the UK and we were back and forth all the time on Virgin Upper Class. An amenities kit and lounging pajamas (more like lighter sweatpants and a sweatshirt) were always provided although it was not a long flight. Most people did not change into them.
  • edited June 2016
    I may as well add my two cents. I usually fly Global First (United) or business (really business/first) on American and have never been offered PJ's even in global first flying from San Francisco to CDG. I have learned to wear black knit pants and a white t-shirt with a B&W scarf to dress it up so I can check into my nice hotel and go out and about in what I wore on the plane (if I arrive early in the morning and my room isn't ready). I carry my black leather coat onboard, so I'm prepared regardless of the weather when I land.

One thing to note is that I'm warm-blooded and I find the comforters that they use in first/business are way too warm for me, so I either ask for one of the lighter blankets from economy (the flight attendants laugh) or I bring a pashmina that I use instead.

The only airline that even offered slippers was Air Berlin last year...I've never even gotten those from United or AA! It was nice to not walk to the restroom in my socks, and I didn't have to wear my shoes all the time either.

P.S. One of the perks of flying business class is that you generally have access to the airline clubs where you can wait for your flight...if you haven't spend most of your time traipsing around the airport. I've found that the clubs in Europe far outweigh the ones in the US, but either way, it's nice to be able to use the wifi and have a snack or a free drink in peace.
  • Alan--I hate to dispute your research but...on 2 Cathay Pacific business class flights (15+ hours) from NYC to Hong Kong, no pj's were offered! Seats were very comfortable and I slept quite well. Truth be told, I can sleep standing up!! I usually wear clothes that are black and comfy...and suitable to wear the day of arrival. And lately I have been wearing compression socks. I always take off my shoes during the flight. With the compression socks, my shoes easily fit when the flight is over-no swelling!
    Nancy
  • edited June 2016
    Nanos wrote:
    Alan--I hate to dispute your research but...on 2 Cathay Pacific business class flights (15+ hours) from NYC to Hong Kong, no pj's were offered! Seats were very comfortable and I slept quite well. Truth be told, I can sleep standing up!! I usually wear clothes that are black and comfy...and suitable to wear the day of arrival. And lately I have been wearing compression socks. I always take off my shoes during the flight. With the compression socks, my shoes easily fit when the flight is over-no swelling!
    Nancy

I just posted what I read; it was probably out of date when published! I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions! As I said, I've never seen PJs (except on teens and twenty somethings :) .) We flew non-stop Dulles to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in "Cloud 9", ET's 1st/business class, for 15+ hours, but no PJ's. I guess we should have flown "Full service airlines."
  • If you can get onto a Virgin Atlantic flight over the ocean to London, they provide sleep suits in Upper Class (there is no first class, so it is like an enhanced business class.) On the night flight, lots of people do change into these black sleep suits which look like work out warm up clothes. On our last flight this month from London, one woman actually did change into pjs, and it was hard to look at her. Fortunately, the cabin lights are off at night so nobody really cared. Just ware something comfortable as you will inevitably get off the plane looking like you slept in your clothes, because you will have!!
  • Have flown business on a lot of different airlines on very long hauls and have never seen or been offered pj's during flight. That includes Cathay from SFO to Hong Kong...yea Gods, I hope they didn't confuse my travel outfit for nightwear! I thought I looked pretty chic! Maybe not. I assumed that pj's were offered in first class on British Air and Virgin...oh, great, one more thing to factor into airline choice when we are planning a trip! I agree that comfort trumps all else when flying long hauls, but do not look like you are on your way to the gym for a workout!
  • Ok. Thanks everybody. I have this figured out. I'll wear palazzo pants and a top. That should be comfy enough and I won't look like a slob.

Another question. A few people told me I should allow at least two hours to get through customs at our first stop in Europe. The airline told me I won't go through customs until our final destination.

I'm confused about this whole thing. Our first stop is in Paris and we'll be there a little over an hour. From there we fly to Naples. Is the lay over in Paris long enough to what we need to do?
  • edited June 2016
    Effie, I think you might be confusing CUSTOMS with SECURITY. I have never been through a country in transit where I have had to go through customs, apart from the US. I also think you should allow at least two hours between flights, several reasons, the increased security checks, even if you stay airside, you will probably go through additional security checks and lines. Plus, you say you have never been on an international flight, so it is sure to take you longer to figure out how some foreign airports work. I hope it was not Tauck who booked these flights for you, since they are usually good at making sure you have that two hour window when you talk routes and schedules with them. I have been to France many times, but by car and boat, apart from once, so I hope someone else will remember more specifics about the Paris airport for you. Be sure to carry a full set of extra clothing in your carry on, in case you or your bags miss the flight.
    Please let us know if Tauck helps you with this.
  • Effie, I flew from Boston to Florence through Paris in April on Delta (business class), connecting to an Air France flight. It was a nightmare. I will avoid CDG for a connection in the future if at all possible. I had allowed more than 2 hours for the connection, but still didn't make it. We left Boston on time, but landed at CDG miles from the terminal (or so it seemed). We taxied forever! Once we finally reached the terminal, getting through EU immigration was awful. No special line for business class, and no assistance from Air France before or after immigration. After clearing immigration, it was a long walk (run?) to the appropriate gate--and the signage left much to be desired. The gate had closed by the time I got there, so I had to retrace steps to go to the one place where AF was rebooking people. (There were many people from my Boston flight waiting in a long line to rebook.) The worst part was that at no point were customer service people available. The best part was that my checked bag wound up on the same flight to Florence that I did, because it, too, missed the connection. I'm not saying this to scare you, but be prepared. (Fortunately, there were several flights a day from CDG to FLR and there probably will be several to NAP as well.) Good luck -- and if you miss the connection, just tell yourself what I told myself, "This is not the first time that this has happened to someone (though it was the first time it had happened to me) and I'll get through this." You will have a great trip overall.
  • They must have improved things when we flew through CDG (see post #6 above) on our way to Naples at the end of May 2016. It wasn't the best, but we easily made our Delta to AF connection with a layover of only an hour and 30 min. We had plenty of time to spare before boarding. As I said above, Delta had a separate SkyPriority security line but it didn't seem to move any faster than the regular line. Luckily they weren't busy at the time (0830 local).

Another reason not to fly through CDG or on AF if you can avoid it- it seems like they are always having a strike or some type of work slowdown.
  • Thanks for the information. I called the airline and we're now flying into Rome and will have what I hope is adequate time between flights. We'll either be glad for the extra time or bored sitting around airports waiting for our flights.
  • Sounds a much better option Effie, have a wonderful time!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file