Day early arrival and transportation

We are arriving a day early in Buda and staying at the Ritz Carlton. Will Tauck provide transport to hotel or just hotel to River cruise? Or how does it work?

Comments

• Tauck usually provide transport to the hotel they designate as an early arrival hotel, but in addition, some people on the forum say Tauck will provide transport to any hotel if you call and ask. The details of where you will be picked up at the airport are provided in the info you get when you make your final payment. They must have your flight details at least three weeks before your tour to coordinate transport. If you are not staying at the designated hotel, then you need to call to ask.
  • The Ritz-Carlton is the precruise Tauck hotel for this route.

Yes, they will pick you up at the airport. As British says, if you didn't reserve your flight through Tauck, make sure they know your flight details well in advance.

Yes, they will provide transport for you and your luggage from the hotel to the ship.

Here's the "routine" for day 1 of the cruise: Go down to breakfast. You'll likely find you're eating with a big group of fellow Tauck passengers who also came in a day or two early. Meet your TDs, find out where and when to meet for transfer to the ship. They may also give you extra luggage tags in case you want them to take your carryon luggage. Go back to your room and get bags ready for pickup. Grab what ever you want to carry around while sightseeing on your own. Go down to reception and check out. Spend the day sightseeing on your own then be back at the hotel at the time designated. Ride to the ship, check in at the front desk, find your stateroom and your luggage will be waiting on your bed ready to unpack. Unpack, store your luggage away. Head back up to the lounge for happy hour.
  • I realize this is an old post, but I have a question for Claudia regarding the "routine" on day one. You say to get your bags ready for pickup, then check out. Do we leave our bags in the hotel room after we check out for Tauck baggage handlers to pick up later? I hope we don't leave them out in the hall. We are doing a cruise in June 2018 and I'm poring over these forums for any info I can find to help my planning. Thanks!
  • edited October 2017
    sstar wrote:
    I realize this is an old post, but I have a question for Claudia regarding the "routine" on day one. You say to get your bags ready for pickup, then check out. Do we leave our bags in the hotel room after we check out for Tauck baggage handlers to pick up later? I hope we don't leave them out in the hall. We are doing a cruise in June 2018 and I'm poring over these forums for any info I can find to help my planning. Thanks!

If you are staying in the Tauck designated pre-stay or post-stay hotel (and designated hotels on a land tour) you will always leave your bags in your room, NEVER in the hall, where they will be picked up by hotel staff at the designated time. Hotel staff and the Tauck driver will load them on the bus, van, car that takes you to the ship, airport, train station, etc. On land tours, unless you are an early riser, baggage pickup may be scheduled before you get up or at least before you go down for breakfast so it is best to pack the night before, lay out clothes for that day and if you need to, put your PJs and last minute toiletries in a handbag which is what we sometimes do. Remember, the hotel staff may have a lot of baggage to collect and take to the lobby so may start early, but you will be informed of the time. As far as "check-out," you can "settle your bill" (pay for incidentals, mini bar, etc.) the night before or anytime that morning before the bus leaves- beat the rush and settle early. Then all you need to do is turn in your key.

I have heard it both ways, but can't confirm if you or your bags will be picked up at a non-Tauck hotel or if bags will be picked up in your room there. However, regardless of hotel pickup, you can usually arrange with the bell captain at nicer ones to pick up baggage in your room. They will take it down to the lobby and put it in a specially designated, secure area. As British suggests, call Tauck and ask if pre-staying in a non-Tauck hotel.
  • Thank you Alan. We will be staying in the Tauck designated hotel. I am relieved to hear that ours bags will be safe in our room post-checkout. We plan to check out and walk about a bit before our 2 pm start of cruise, and I didn't like the idea of them being out in the open while we do some last minute touring. I think we all meet up at the hotel for transport to the ship.
  • As Alan said, you leave it in your room. I suspect in most cases they pick up the bags and get them to the ship before you meet for the transfer. Our bags have always beat us to the ship.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file