Options

TRIP INSURANCE

Feelings on trip insurance. Worth it? Better through Tauck or another provider?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    It's like any other insurance. If you need it it's worth it. If you didn't it isn't. Taucks insurance includes trip cancellation/delay, accident protection, baggage, and medical. Anyone can have some emergency come up at the last minute after paying thousands for a trip. Even if you are in good health, what happens if you trip over something and end up in a foreign ER? Does your stateside health insurance cover you?

Our first cruise we used "Travel Insured" thru our auto insurance. Never made a claim so I don't know how good they would have been to deal with. My only concern with going with Tauck then was reading things online about some companies (NOT TAUCK) settling claims be given you future tours. If you're unhappy with the company would you want to travel with them again. Having completed our first cruise I was very confident that Tauck was a good company to deal with. For our next two we've used Taucks. I've found them to be competitive in price and easier to go with.

With Travel Insured I had a lengthy phone conversation then they communicated totally via email requiring me to print out all documents including a 15 pager that needed to be carried on the trip. The Tauck plan will be printed in your small green spiral bound trip book with all the other trip information - flight details, hotel, itinerary, etc with room to add additional information.

I know this topic has been discussed before on the forum so you might want to do a search through older threads. As I remember it most have been happy with the Tauck product.

• Options
    I took the trip Insurance and broke my leg in Hawaii. It really paid off. I highly recommend it
  • Options
    How about airline flight coverage when booked independently and not booked through Tauck? Does Tauck protection cover that?
  • Options
    Several years ago I booked my first Tauck trip and being then younger debated whether to purchase the trip insurance or not. I did and I purchased trip insurance through Tauck. It was a very good decision, as I had unexpected emergency surgery 2 weeks prior to trip's departure and was medically unable to go on trip. Tauck's insurance was processed quickly, efficiently and I was fully compensated -- excepting for the cost of the insurance. This summer I will be going on my 10th Tauck tour, and I have 2 after that booked. I have purchased the same insurance from Tauck each time; and I am relieved not to have had to make any claim since that time.
  • Options
    We always get Tauck insurance, touch wood, never had to use it. It's supposed to be very comprehensive and as CLAUDIA says, it's convenient in the travel docs as they are presented in a nice booklet these days---- that was not the case until fairly recently when they had lots of papers you were sent for the trip. I've never checked if it is cheaper or comparison shopped in any way. If out lie to spend time doing that, it might save you money or the insurance might be better. If you do find out, perhaps you can post your finds on the forum. I have had friends have to use the insurance. I am not sure it is correct about having to put return money to a future tour. I think the insurance fee which is non- returnable is sometimes put to another tour, but that is surely an advantage.
  • Options
    HuskerBob wrote:
    How about airline flight coverage when booked independently and not booked through Tauck? Does Tauck protection cover that?
    I don't think Tauck covers that, but you should call to check in case I am wrong. I thought one of the things Tauck talks up about using them for your flights is because of being able to change flights more easily and so on.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I think you're right about Tauck flights being easier to change although nothing to do with the insurance. Last year when I'd done some flight comparing then talked to Tauck I asked why their's was higher. The agent said if a change had to be made later it would cost less. They state that one of the benefits of booking airfare thru them is "Tauck’s lenient change and refund policies".

See my edit on companies that apply refunds to future trips. I didn't mean Tauck does but had read things online about others (Viking??) and since I knew nothing about Tauck I was cautious. Now I'm not.
  • Options
    We had to cancel The Best of Ireland last year literally days before departure due to a "covered" medical emergency with our married, adult daughter. We had a refund for the trip from Tauck within the week. We had to fill and file a claim with Tauck's underwriter and get a doctor's certification first, but got a full refund for 100% of the cost of our self-booked airline tickets within a few weeks. In addition, Tauck placed the normally "forfeited" insurance premium into a "Dream Saver Account. As long as we booked within one year, we could apply it to the cost of any future Tauck trip (We've already spent it! ???? )

A pretty good deal if you ask me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file