Air Time from USA to Tanzania

Having LOVED South Africa and Botswana, my husband and I are very interested in going to Tanzania to see a migration. Does anyone have a rough idea of travel time from the U.S. to Tanzania? Thank you!

Comments

• edited April 2017
    A quick search with google showed anything from 24 hours to 2 days. Too many variables including where you're starting point is, what route, how many stops, what dates, etc. Try a flight search site like Travelocity, Expedia, etc and see what they come up with. If that doesn't help, call the Tauck flight dept. They'll answer questions like this even if you haven't booked the tour.
  • edited April 2017
    In addition to what Claudia has said, the choices of how to fly into Arusha are quite limited. We flew Delta / KLM from Newark to Amsterdam and then on to Arusha. I thinks Alan S used Emirates, but now you might be restricted with carrying on electronics if the flight goes through Dubai. I think the Amsterdam leg is about ten hours. When we went to Arusha the first time, Tauck had us go via Philadelphia to Detroit because we knew no better, the second time we asked them to book the Newark route for us, it was not suggested, but we knew what we were doing that time. Tanzania remains my favorite Africa location so far.
  • edited April 2017
    We actually flew Ethiopian Air: Dulles n/s to Addis Ababa to Kilimanjaro (Arusha). Nice aircraft (777 then 787-8), good service, very roomy, nice lay flat seats (in business). I don't know whether I would fly in coach. Addis Ababa airport was a bit of a culture shock, at least on the way over, no sweat the second time through on the return trip. Return: Nairobi - Addis - Dulles stops for gas only in Dublin, but you don't de-plane. If you are doing the "Tanzania, Serengeti to Zanzibar" tour, in addition to Arusha, Ethiopian also serves Zanzibar. You can fly home from Zanzibar (where the tour technically ends) instead flying to Dar Es Salaam.

Ethiopian also serves LAX and Toronto. Due to our previous experience and their great prices, I am considering them for the Botswana, SA, Zambia trip: Dulles - Addis Ababa - Lusaka, Zambia. Proflight Zambia (local carrier) from Lusaka to Livingston. Return: Ethiopian from Capetown - Addis Ababa - Dulles.
  • Have done months and months of airline "fare watching"...My girlfriend and I are flying from Denver for July 3 - Tanzania Serengeti Zanzibar....We are so excited, we booked this one year ago but finally almost here! It will be our first trip to Africa.

It does take approximately 24 hours of "flight time or more" if you are coming from the United States. We are taking Delta/KLM through Amsterdam. Delta/KLM some very good flight schedules. We incorporated a two night stay over in Amsterdam on our outbound flight, deciding to break up fly time and get some nice exercise in walking the canal streets and city of Amsterdam before beginning our safari. The KLM flight from Amsterdam is 8 1/2 hours nonstop in to Arusha JRO. Return flight is from DAR through AMS back into DEN. We will be suffering through that long return.

Another reason we booked connecting through Amsterdam was to avoid the yellow fever vaccine that we haven't had and would prefer not to get.

• Reluctance to omit yellow fever vaccine, no comment. Zanzibar, there are lots of views of Zanzibar seen on the Amazing Race for two recent episodes, we saw lots of places we recognized including Freddie Mercury's birthplace, worth finding the episodes on line to give you an idea of what you will be seeing.
  • Reluctance to commit to yellow fever vaccine, no comment. Zanzibar, there are lots of views of Zanzibar seen on the Amazing Race for two recent episodes, we saw lots of places we recognized including Freddie Mercury's birthplace, worth finding the episodes on line to give you an idea of what you will be seeing.