5/18/2017 Are There Irons In The Hotel Rooms?

Hi All, Just wondering if there are irons in the room since we're living out of our suitcases. Thank you.

Plus are any of you going to be on the same trip?

Marie and Al

Comments

• If my memory serves me correctly, I think Italy is one of those countries where it is against the law to have irons in hotel rooms, though you may be able to loan one from the front desk. I never take anything on vacation that requires ironing, oh my goodness, my hubby would just not allow ironing on vacation! I find it easy to have clothing that does not require ironing and rolling clothing in the suitcase. simple Colton tops and the like come out fine.
  • If I remember correctly you can't even borrow an iron. You can pay to have hotel iron something that is needed if you want.
  • Thanks for the input. My aunt told me she took a travel iron, but I think I'll pass and just bring clothes that don't wrinkle so much.

Marie
  • There is a product on the market in grocery stores that helps to release wrinkles. It goes by a similar name. We pour some into a small spray bottle to take on trips. While it's not perfect, it is a help in taking the place of an iron. It should be close to the area where laundry soap, spray starch, etc. are displayed.
  • Hi Marie and Al:

We were on Classic Italy last year, and British is correct: irons are not permitted in hotel rooms in Italy. We picked up a dual-voltage steamer on Amazon, and that worked great to both de-wrinkle and freshen up our clothing quickly. The wrinkle release someone mentioned is a nice idea, and just a small bottle of Febreze will accomplish the same thing. Simplest solution: take along a small empty spray bottle, spritz your clothing lightly while it's on the hanger, and smooth out with your hands.

Have a fabulous time!
  • I guess my husband and I are very lucky, with even a minimum of one shower a day neither of us would have to resort to febreze to freshen our clothing after one day of wear. Maybe people born in Britain just don't sweat so much! Tee hee
  • Not allowed in Italy and many european countries, Not allowed in Peru either!
  • Just to clarify, the Febreze is a little easier to find and less expensive than the Downy Wrinkle Release. A small amount of liquid fabric softener well-diluted in a spray bottle would work just as well. Suggestions do not reflect unresolved personal hygiene issues, as was implied by the previous poster, but rather an enduring love for that yummy just-from-the-dryer smell.

I recently saw this nice guideline for children on how to speak respectfully to others:

Is it true?
    Is it kind?
    Is it necessary?

Certainly, a great filter for all of us as we post on Tauck’s friendly and helpful forums.
  • I guess no one still understands my British humor!
  • Not to prolong the personal hygiene discussion, but, what the heck! So, I am presently in Japan and actually stuck a small travel Downy in my cosmetic bag, thinking I might need it, knowing there would not be an iron available (BTW, it leaked from airline pressure...thank goodness for ziplocs). Perspiration not a problem, wrinkles, yes. So, last night, our first night in Kyoto, we were in the lovely lounge gazing at the view over a glass of wine. In comes a group of about 6 businessmen, and they sit at the next table. Each one immediately lights up, smoking permitted, and by the time we got back to our room, we both smelled like we had gone through a pack of Marlboros ourselves!! Downy to the rescue, and our clothes are smoke free smelling today!
  • I think it's been an interesting thread. Got me motivated to think about what I'm bringing on our summer trips - sink stopper, empty spray bottle, Shout spot remover packets, etc. Did some google research on the question of whether shampoo can be used to hand launder clothing (consensus seems to be yes for lightly soiled items) and along the way learned about things like fels naptha and zote. Interesting reading. Spent the day sewing up a small bag to wrangle my laundry related items - after I decide exactly what I'm going to bring. Hummm, may need a bigger bag.
  • Hah, Claudia! And, don't forget to pack some plastic clothes pins in your new-fangled bag so you can hang your clothes to dry on those shower lines!
  • Hi MarieDe,

I am on the small groups Italy May 18

Traveling alone since my husband is not able to do the "vigorous" walking as he had chemo last year and is in recovery.
    We had to cancel a trip last year due to chemo. I have longed to see the great art works of Italy as I loved my
    courses in art history in college.

I look forward to meeting you.

Arriving one day early (May 17th) into NAP on Luthansa with connect via Munich.

Will greet you at the first dinner for sure.

Linda

PS, I have never been through most of Italy. Only N. Italy/Dolomites on a two week motorcycle trip 18? yrs ago
    with my husband from Munich-Austria-N Italy-Switerland and back to Munich. Glorious weather and lovely trip
    with Beach Motorcycles of the USA.

• Okay, so I'm back again with this "iron in the room" vs Downy vs Febreze thing! I learned something about wrinkle remover on this last trip. One evening we are lingering over dinner and the waiter sets up the table next to us and the tablecloth is pretty wrinkled. Then he sprays it and smoothes it out by hand, effectively removing the wrinkles! I asked what was in the bottle. ??? Plain old water! So, that empty spray bottle Claudia intends to pack should come in very handy!
  • I did some experimenting and found plain water works about as well as the Downy wrinkle remover and is scent free. I hang up the garment, spritz with water then grab the hotel blow dryer and lightly smooth the fabric with my hand while blowing it with warm air. Like British, I try to pack things that don't need any or not much ironing. Lots of knits.
  • LindaCombs wrote:
    Hi MarieDe,

I am on the small groups Italy May 18

Traveling alone since my husband is not able to do the "vigorous" walking as he had chemo last year and is in recovery.
    We had to cancel a trip last year due to chemo. I have longed to see the great art works of Italy as I loved my
    courses in art history in college.

I look forward to meeting you.

Arriving one day early (May 17th) into NAP on Luthansa with connect via Munich.

Will greet you at the first dinner for sure.

Linda

PS, I have never been through most of Italy. Only N. Italy/Dolomites on a two week motorcycle trip 18? yrs ago
    with my husband from Munich-Austria-N Italy-Switerland and back to Munich. Glorious weather and lovely trip
    with Beach Motorcycles of the USA.

[/Hi Linda,

I am happy to see someone on this forum who will be on the same trip! This is our first trip to Europe and our 2nd Tauck Tour. Our first was The Grand New England & Canada trip which by the way was spectacular. We've been on other tours but nothing compares to Tauck. We are excited since our ancestors come from Italy. We are arriving in Rome on 5/16 and a private car service will take us to the hotel in Sorrento. So we'll have a few days to explore on our own.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is not able to make the trip, but hopefully he will be stronger for the next one. quote]

We could've done that flight but opted for a non-stop. There were none into NAP.

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Safe trip!

Marie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file