Day tours from Edinburgh on May 20

Hi All,
We are on the tour starting on May 21st. We get into Edinburgh on the 19th and have May 20th free. Any recommendations on day trips from Edinburgh to see some of the Scottish highlands?

Thanks!

Comments

• If you look in the ESW forum you will find a number of suggestions. Depends on what you are interested in.

Check out TripAdvisor and Google. I'm sure there are some Viator excursions as well as a number using car/driver. A trip to St A ndrews for golfers might be considered a must, then you can stop in other places on the way back. If you want to spend the whole day you can go to Inverness, Lockness, and nearby castles or all the way to Glasgow. There are some castles and baronial mansions not far to the west of Edinburgh, a few can be reached by the train to Glasgow- Linlithgo Palace (birthplace of King James V and later Mary, Queen of Scots), Dundas Castle, Blackness Castle, Hopetoun House, etc. If you want to stay closer to Edinburgh just Google Attractions in Edinburgh - you can use their excellent transportation system and take the "Lothian" buses around town to the former royal yacht, HMY Britannia, Craigmillar Castle (seen on the Amazing Race a few years ago), Rosslyn Chapel (of Davinci Code fame), etc. (which is what we did) or walk the Royal Mile and see St Giles Cathedral, National Museum, etc.
  • Viator has many day tours for you to chose from. If the welcome dinner is that night might have issue with time. I highly recommend going to Stirling Castle. Not exactly the highlands, but lots of Scottish history.
  • The tour this year starts day 1 with a tour of Stirling Castle followed by the welcome dinner that night.

We're taking this tour in June and using Gift of Time to do some extra sight seeing. The National Museum of Scotland is on our bucket list. Easy walk from the hotel.
  • The 'Highlands' are too far to do in a day to gain anything from it, I have lived in Scotland.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file