Options

A week in Ireland May 6th 2018 tour

Hi ,
My husband and I are going to go on The Week in Ireland Tour on May 6th. We are getting in a day early and staying at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis. Where should we have dinner in Ennis?
Is there anything that we should try to see before we go to the Dromoland Castle to check in on Sunday?
(Who else out there is going on this Tour this particular tour? Or, if you have been on this tour, what did you like?)

Comments

• Options
    I am booked on the same trip in July and hope you get some replies. Please post a review of your trip when you return so I can benefit from your experience. Jim
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Golaryn wrote:
    Hi ,
    My husband and I are going to go on The Week in Ireland Tour on May 6th. We are getting in a day early and staying at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis. Where should we have dinner in Ennis?
    Is there anything that we should try to see before we go to the Dromoland Castle to check in on Sunday?
    (Who else out there is going on this Tour this particular tour? Or, if you have been on this tour, what did you like?)

Do a search in or better yet, read through the forum archives for this tour and "Best of Ireland" tour- it used to start in Ennis- there are plenty of posts about what to do and where to eat if you arrive early. It is a quaint, very walk-able, little town. You will find both casual places that have Irish music, etc. like the Poet's Corner at the hotel, Brogans Pub just up O'Connell Street from the hotel, etc. or fancier places like Brendan O’Regan Restaurant also in the hotel. Though some really liked it, we had lunch at the Poet's Corner the next day and were not impressed. It could have been because we ate a late lunch.

I don't know if you'll be able to get reservations at this late date, but we hired a car through the Old Ground concierge to take us to Bunratty Castle and Irish Folk Park in Bunratty (our driver was the one who picked us up at the airport!). We arrived mid-afternoon and toured the castle and folk park before returning to the castle for their medieval banquet in the great hall (they have two settings)- decent food and great entertainment and fun! The banquet requires a separate ticket and advanced reservations (we made them 6 months early).

You can also google places to see and eat.

O'Connell Street in Ennis:

IMG_4127r.jpg

Bunratty Castle one of (claims to the most) authentically restored and complete with most period furniture of any castle in Ireland.

IMG_4152r.jpg

Some of the costumed entertainers before and during the banquet:

IMG_4195r.jpg
  • Options
    Ha ha Alan, that's a good photo of you!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    British wrote:
    Ha ha Alan, that's a good photo of you!

That's not me. That guy could really sing; I can't carry a tune in a basket. Besides, he dresses better than I do! : )

This is me and the Mrs. at the banquet table with some bowls of soup and a pitcher of mead:

IMG_4198r.jpg

Follow this link to a video of the banquet.

• Options
    The Old Ground Hotel has a great restaurant and pub, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Be sure to hang around until after 8pm or so when there might be live entertainment!
  • Options
    Ennis is charming. We ate at a place next to The Old Ground called the Town Hall Bistro. The food was excellent. The Irish music at the Old Ground at night is excellent. We found the shopping in Ennis to be as good as anywhere on the tour. In Ennis is a small museum with going to and an old Abby. You can easily walk around the town in a few hours. Have a good time!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file