June 24th England, Scotland & Wales, R U Joining?

Hi Friends, I just downloaded the Tauck app that keeps everything up to date for each day of our trip! I'm getting so excited for this exciting trip. I'd love to meet some of my traveling friends and discuss questions, ideas and plans. Please let me know. Thanks Nancy and Ben from Florida.

Comments

• Hi Friends, I just downloaded the Tauck app that keeps everything up to date for each day of our trip! I'm getting so excited for this exciting trip. I'd love to meet some of my traveling friends and discuss questions, ideas and plans. Please let me know. Thanks Nancy and Ben from Florida.

We used the new Tauck app for our last tour and believe me it does not keep ‘everything up to date for each day of your trip’ while it is good for the general itinerary and things to do in free time and even maps, the times and even the orders of the things you do each day can vary quite a bit, so you still have to rely on the word or paperwork the tour director gives you at the start of the tour or on a daily basis.
  • British wrote:
    We used the new Tauck app for our last tour and believe me it does not keep ‘everything up to date for each day of your trip’ while it is good for the general itinerary and things to do in free time and even maps, the times and even the orders of the things you do each day can vary quite a bit, so you still have to rely on the word or paperwork the tour director gives you at the start of the tour or on a daily basis.

You betcha! The app often doesn't reflect what you will be actually doing and when, doesn't provide times, meet-up locations, etc. Until TD's have the ability (and time!!) to upload the daily sheets, the app will be of limited value in this regard. The maps feature shows you where you are located, but may not contain enough street detail to navigate. Unlike Google/Google Maps, the app doesn't allow you to search (for places, restaurants, etc.) and doesn't provide directions (turn-by-turn or otherwise).
  • Thanks for the insight. At least I will know which meals are free!!!! ???? With your experience, can you advise me on if I need to bring an adapter for hairdryer/devices? I have found two possibilities if necessary.

a. Voltage Converter Travel Adapter 875W Step Down 220V to 110V with 4 Smart USB Charging Ports Inner Cooling Design without Any Noise with Type G/D/M/EU/AU/UK/Italy for $36.00

or

b. European Travel Adapter Plug Set – Pack of 4 Universal USA to Europe Outlet Adapters For All Of Europe (Type C, E, F, G J, L) - Works In France, UK, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Germany for $13.95.

Thanks, in advance. N
  • We took this tour last summer. You don't need to bring a hair dryer as all the hotel's have them. If you need some other heated hair appliance like a curling iron you're better off waiting and buying one in Edinburgh. Lots of shopping along Princes st a short walk from the Sheraton.

You only need an adapter for the UK - the European one isn't the same - to charge your dual voltages items like cell phones, ereader, tablet, etc.

Fyi, be sure to bring some cold weather clothing. I got surprised by cooler weather than expected for the first half of the tour. That's why I know about shopping there as I had to supplement my wardrobe.

Have a great tour.
  • a. Voltage Converter Travel Adapter 875W Step Down 220V to 110V with 4 Smart USB Charging Ports Inner Cooling Design without Any Noise with Type G/D/M/EU/AU/UK/Italy for $36.00

What Claudia said. Also, with regard to converters and high wattage devices like hairdryers and curling irons- they typically draw more than 875 watts! You'll smoke the converter trying to use it with a US (120V) high wattage device!!! As Claudia says, buy what you need over there or one rated for 220 volts/international use from Amazon.

Most modern electronic devices (phone, tablet, camera, etc. chargers/power supplies) operate on 120V AND 240V so all you need is an adapter so your two prong US plug can be used with a UK outlet. If you have multiple electronic devices get a small travel-size multi-outlet strip instead of buying multiple adapters. Search the archives for posts about and photos of ones many here have used. I take one on every trip for our two iPads, cell phone, and camera battery charger.
  • Topspin, Alan and Claudia give excellent advice. I have never been in a Tauck hotel that does not provide a hairdryer. Please certainly heed all advice about not using any American heating hair tongs. Also, please note that you cannot use a hairdryer in a British bathroom, you have to find an outlet in the bedroom. The British 240 voltage is not to be messed with especially near chance of being in touch with water. You may see an outlet in the bathroom but it is designed specifically for electric razors. The British plug has three ‘square pins’ they are actually are a little oblong in shape.
    I was in London two weeks ago and the hotel we stayed in had outlets with American and European type sockets. You never know your luck these days.
  • Thanks for the great responses. I will heed your advise! ????
  • When we travel to other locations in Europe we borrow a convertor from the front desk. Does anyone know if the hotels on the Scotland, Wales & England trip loan them out? Thanks.
  • I am sure you don’t mean a converter, you mean an adaptor. If I am mistaken, what do you take with you that requires a converter?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file