Options

camera

Perhaps some photographers can advise me on the best camera to bring on the Botswana, Zambia, SA tour in August. I normally shot with a Canon 5D Mark IV at home but have used a Sony A7 with 20-70 mm and 70-200mm for my trips to Antarctica and the Galapagos, I didn't have a 40 lb weight restriction as I will in August. Any suggestions as to which cameras you have used and found best.

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps some photographers can advise me on the best camera to bring on the Botswana, Zambia, SA tour in August. I normally shot with a Canon 5D Mark IV at home but have used a Sony A7 with 20-70 mm and 70-200mm for my trips to Antarctica and the Galapagos, I didn't have a 40 lb weight restriction as I will in August. Any suggestions as to which cameras you have used and found best.

Probably either camera- whatever you find easiest to use. DSLR or mirrorless, but you'll need more than 200 mm! We've done K&T but aren't sched for B,SA,ZA until next year. Something to consider- though it won't be as dusty in Botswana as K&T, and many others have done it without issue using changing bags, etc., I personally don't like the idea of swapping lenses in an open-sided safari vehicle (I have two Canon bodies and was thinking of taking both with lenses before K&T- glad I decided against it- just one it almost too much to carry and wrangle! Sometimes photo opportunities come up and disappear quickly. Depending on when you go, you might not want to swap lenses at Victoria Falls with heavy, almost drenching mist at some view points.

I use a Canon SL-1 because it is a bit smaller and lighter than other cameras. I also use a Tamaron 16-300 mm lens ALL THE TIME, everywhere these days, on tour and at home. It goes wide or long. It is not the fastest lens but OK for me. There were only a very few times where I wish the telephoto was a bit longer but the price was right compared to OEM lenses. I'm sure there are optical aberrations, but not being a professional, I don't see them. That is it, I don't take a separate flash, don't take a tripod (few opportunities to use it), though a few people have taken bean bags to steady their camera. I took my GoPro, too, but really didn't use it much- too wide angle for most animal shots, so I used my Canon for all stills and most videos. I might take it again to B,SA, Z to use at the Falls and maybe see if I can get a nighttime star shot of the heavens.
  • Options
    We did this trip in mid May of 2016 when the Zambezi was at full flood stage, so your conditions could be different, but on our trip there was no way to use a ‘camera’ at the falls. I used my iPhone which I carried in a zip lock bag. We wore a double layer of rain gear and got soaked to the skin anyway. Our tour director, who was chief designer of this trip, said it was the first time she had seen ‘everyone’ in her tour cross the falls on the foot bridge. Pretty exciting in May, I know in other months the falls is reduced to a trickle. But on our walk, the ‘rain’ was coming up from below just as hard as down from above, and the bridge was as slippery as wet ice. It does have high enclosed railings. I only got a couple shots with my iPhone in a couple places that were relatively dry. You can use a camera off to the side of the falls, or if you go sometime later when the falls are not raging. The other option would be an underwater camera. (;-). There were actually many people from other groups that crossed the bridge wearing bathing suits and flip flops.
  • Options
    If you are going towards the end of August the Falls might be quite low. We went mid September and there were no issues with mist or anything like that. The bare rocks that would normally be hidden by cascades of water in many areas were day to see. Still plenty of water and falls just not in the areas of the walking trail. I liked it. We also saw the men fishing in the middle of the falls, wed seen that on a nature program about the area.
  • Options

During my SA tour (Botswana/Zambia) I used the Canon T3i with Tamron 18-270mm lens. It was perfect for all conditions and not too heavy. The lens was fast enough to capture the quick movements of the animals quite well. I didn't carry additional lenses or an external flash. I visited during the month of December. The sprays from Victoria Falls were minimal but still quite beautiful.