Zanzibar

I am on the July,2019 classic safari to Kenya and Tanzania. Would love to visit Zanzibar. Is there enough to do for 3 to 4 days other than beach?

Comments

• edited June 2018
    barbd wrote:
    I am on the July,2019 classic safari to Kenya and Tanzania. Would love to visit Zanzibar. Is there enough to do for 3 to 4 days other than beach?

Talk to your travel agent. Beach, Stone Town, SCUBA diving, Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park, Cheetah's Rock. It is all in what you are interested in. Check out Google/Trip Advisor. Look at flights from Nairobi to Zanzibar.
  • Alan, thanks so much. Why did you suggest Nairobi to Zanzibar rather than starting the trip at Zanzibar. Then I could begin the trip At Kilimanjaro. By the way, have you been to Zanzibar?

• barbd wrote:
    Alan, thanks so much. Why did you suggest Nairobi to Zanzibar rather than starting the trip at Zanzibar. Then I could begin the trip At Kilimanjaro. By the way, have you been to Zanzibar?

We took the Tanzania/Zanzibar tour a few years ago with Tauck and it was Ok it s not a place where I would say to you ‘ wow, you have to go there!’ We did the tour of Stone Town, a spice tour and a sail out on a dhow to an island for a lunch as part of the Tauck tour.
  • edited June 2018
    barbd wrote:
    Alan, thanks so much. Why did you suggest Nairobi to Zanzibar rather than starting the trip at Zanzibar. Then I could begin the trip At Kilimanjaro. By the way, have you been to Zanzibar?

I guess I thought you wanted to tack on Zanzibar to the end so you wouldn't be tired for the main event- K&T.

I have not been to Zanzibar.

Tacking Zanzibar to the end is easier but starting at Zanzibar will work, too. When I was exploring Tanzania: Serengeti to Zanzibar, I looked at flying Ethiopian Airlines from Dulles (or LA or Chicago) with one stop in Addis Ababa (ADD)to Kilimanjaro (JRO) (like we did for K&T). I think the tour actually ends in Zanzibar, Tauck just flies you to Dar es Salam (DAR) to catch flights home. ET has flights from Zanzibar (ZNZ) via JRO ns Addis to Dulles as well, so I thought about leaving the tour in ZNZ instead of going to DAR. ET's Zanzibar flight makes a 1 hr stop in JRO, but it appears to be for fuel only, no deplaning - it might be a baggage thing, so you would need to find another way to get from ZNZ to JRO, maybe Precision Ai0: ZNZ - Nairobi (NBO) - JRO (4 hr.) You can get to JRO from ZNZ on ET but must fly to ADD first, then back to JRO. The layover in AD is long so the total time is 17 hrs!

It would be shorter, quicker, and easier to fly ET to JRO for K&T, then, after the tour, fly NBO to ZNZ on ET, then ZNZ home at the end of the tour. It could all be done on one reservation. So many options.

But again, if you are really interested in seeing Zanzibar take Tanzania; Serengeti to Zanzibar in 2020 or in 2019 instead of K&T.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file