Budapest, Vienna questions

We're schedule for this one summer 2019. For those who have taken this tour:

1. If you arrived a day or two early, what sights did you see that didn't duplicate the tour itinerary? In particular, did you tour the parliament and was it worth it?

2. In Vienna, I'm torn between the Schonbrunn vs Hofburg tours. Which was "better", what were your options after the tour as far as other sights to see near it, transport time(s) back to the ship, etc.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Hi Claudia,

We haven't done this trip, but just got back from Vienna on another river cruise and saw both the Schonbrunn and the Hofburg (the second on our own). Both are likely to be crowded (the Schonbrunn is the most visited sight in Vienna).

Schonbrunn - A mini Versailles complete with a hall of mirrors. Extensive grounds and good Tauck tour of the interiors. Of the two, this was my favorite. There are also a carriage museum, carriage rides around the grounds, a hedge maze and a small zoo (all at extra cost, not paid by Tauck). This is a little way (20 minutes?) from central Vienna.

Hofburg Palace - Right in central Vienna. Interesting collection of royal silver and china (if you enjoy that sort of thing). The usual state rooms, not as grand as Schonbrunn. This Sisi museum mostly centers around the myths created by the trilogy of Sisi movies done back in the late 50s (not really familiar to most English speakers). If you go on your own there is an audio tour.

Nearby the Hofburg are a museum of the Habsburg crown jewels and regalia (definately worth a visit), an armor museum and the Kunsthistorisches Museum (one of Europe's great art museums). The Kunsthistorisches museum really deserves at least 3-4 hours of time.

My guess is that if you go to Schonbrunn, Tauck will bring you back to central Vienna so that you can do both palaces if you want. Someone who's done this - please confirm.

Transit time back to the boat by bus from central Vienna is about half an hour.

We spent three days in Vienna and still felt that there was more to see. So whatever you miss is an excuse for another trip!

Bon Voyage!

• Right across the street from the Hofburg are the Spanish Riding School stables. If you are into horses, you can visit the riding arena and watch the horses be exercised weekdays from 10:00 to 12:00- no jumps or routines just rider and horses fam and exercise. Tickets required, but no reservations- 2 hours is more than enough- go sometime after 11:00 when the price is reduced. You can also take a separate tour of the school, arena and stables- you can’t touch them but can get nose to nose with the horses. Reservations are required- we got ours a few months early via the SRS website.
  • The interior of the parliament building is amazing, it is included on the land tour. It is very busy and you have to get timed tickets. Security is like at the airport. Sisi museum is also excellent, I think we did that on our own too, I am a china collector and that was just wonderful.
  • Thanx all. You pretty much confirmed my thinking and re Vienna not getting me any closer to a decision of Schonbrunn vs Hofburg. That is, the first is really lovely and worth seeing, but the other is in a more interesting location wrt other attractions. Hopefully we can wait til the tour to decide.

• edited July 2018
    Thanx all. You pretty much confirmed my thinking and re Vienna not getting me any closer to a decision of Schonbrunn vs Hofburg. That is, the first is really lovely and worth seeing, but the other is in a more interesting location wrt other attractions. Hopefully we can wait til the tour to decide.

I think the Schonbrunn- depending on how much time you are allotted, is a better deal at least from a guys perspective- fabulous palace rooms and grounds- walk the gardens and Great Parterre, climb up the hill to the Gloriette (cafe inside) for a great view of the palace and Vienna, see the Neptune Fountain, etc. Hofburg- partial, mostly exterior, tour included on Blue Danube. Schonbrunn requires a short bus ride. Hofburg option (vs Schonbrunn) on Blue Danube was a tour of the Sissy apartments, silver service, china(?), and that sort of non-guy stuff. : ) It is right in town, no grounds, except for nearby park.

IMG_8816r.jpg

IMG_8705r.jpg
  • Today in a thrift store I came across a color photo guide of Schonbrunn (cost me a whole 25 cents) that looks like the kind of thing you buy at a museum gift shop. Beautiful pictures. Maybe its a sign. Just hoping there is time and the option to go into central Vienna and see other sites.

Rick Steves posted a video on his facebook page today showing him touring the Vienna "Haus der Musik" interactive music museum. Sounds interesting and I can't play a note.
  • Today in a thrift store I came across a color photo guide of Schonbrunn (cost me a whole 25 cents) that looks like the kind of thing you buy at a museum gift shop. Beautiful pictures. Maybe its a sign. Just hoping there is time and the option to go into central Vienna and see other sites.

Rick Steves posted a video on his facebook page today showing him touring the Vienna "Haus der Musik" interactive music museum. Sounds interesting and I can't play a note.

The Tauck shuttle buses between the boat and town typically stop in front of the Albertina Art Museum which is a few short blocks down the Augsustinerstrasse from the Michaelerplatz entrance of the Hofburg. Most sights are within about a 6-10 block radius of the Hofburg!! Everything is truly closer that it looks on Google maps- I walked most of it and was amazed how close everything was.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file