Options

Tauck App Feature You May Have Missed - Daily Agenda

Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't see this before, but I thought I'd mention an aspect of the Tauck app that I only recently discovered. Did you know that the app gives you the schedule for each day's activities for your upcoming trip? It's not on the main menu, which is probably why I missed it before.

If you bring up the intinerary page and choose a day, there is an icon just below the photo that says "Daily Agenda." Clicking on this icon will bring up the day's events and the times when they occur. This should help people plan their free time when the interary just says "Rest of the afternoon is free."

Of course, as an experienced Tauck traveler I know that these times are subject to change. The TD may give you an entirely different schedule. But still, it provides some usefull informaton.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it will be useful when/if the TDs are able to keep it up to date. Our most recent tour the TD uploaded the first half of the trip, but not the occasional change in times nor the remaining half.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I think this is a new feature. We only had the Green Book itinerary on our trip this spring. As has been said, the app is still a "work in progress." But like Claudia says, until the TDs have the time, ability, and access to update it daily, it won't be useful for much more than rough planning or general info.
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    But like Claudia says, until the TDs have the time, ability, and access to update it daily, it won't be useful for much more than rough planning or general info.

I agree. We always like to plan options for our free time. This, at least, will give us a better idea how much time that will be (although we'll stay flexible).
  • Options
    Ken, are you seeing your agenda before the start of the tour? We didn't get it or the Guest List until the day the tour started.
  • Options
    Ken, are you seeing your agenda before the start of the tour? We didn't get it or the Guest List until the day the tour started.

I know that was always Tauck's plan for the Guest List.
  • Options
    How long prior to a tour will a trip show up on the app?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    BSP51 wrote:
    How long prior to a tour will a trip show up on the app?

It has been four months since we traveled, but from what I saw over the past year during the launch phase of the app, it was anywhere from a month or two to a few weeks before the trip showed up. I believe in some cases it never did show up.

At one time Tauck was sending emails out to travelers announcing their trip was available on the app. Not everyone got an email and some who got them didn't have their trip listed.

In some (many?) cases, though the "trip" was listed in the app, few or no details were provided until much later. Maybe a recent traveler can relate their experience.

p.s. our trip from 4 months ago is still showing in the app, including the rough itinerary, maps, explore, but no Daily Agendas ("Sorry, but this isn't available right now. The daily agenda will appear prior to this day commencing." : )
  • Options

The trip has been on my app for at least two or three months. I only discovered the agenda a few days ago (about a week before our trip). So at least a week before departure, but it could have been there all along and I just didn't know it. As to the guest list, the message when I try to call it up says that it won't be available until the trip starts.

My guess is that the agenda is not departure specific (i.e. everyone on this tour gets the same agenda, regardless of departure date). The guest list is obviously departure specific.

I will report back after the tour as to how well our agenda matched reality.
  • Options
    We got the app with the basic agenda and area info a couple of months before the trip, but the agenda and guest list were just place holders until day 1 of the tour. Our guest list was never correct. It had people who canceled at the last minute and was missing others who were on it. Thankfully the TD gave us a hardcopy that was correct and later emailed us everyone's email address.

• Options
    We got the app with the basic agenda and area info a couple of months before the trip, but the agenda and guest list were just place holders until day 1 of the tour. Our guest list was never correct. It had people who canceled at the last minute and was missing others who were on it. Thankfully the TD gave us a hardcopy that was correct and later emailed us everyone's email address.

I would like to be able to take notes in the app - special things we did, things we saw- even on the guest list, e.g. "tall guy with handlebar mustache, avoid him at all costs. I think he is a spy." : )
  • Options
    Alan, that's the same suggestion I made to Tauck. I'd like to be able to add my own info especially to the guest list - kinda of like your phones contact list.

So far no spies, just one whiner that wasn't happy about anything.
  • Options
    Could you cut and paste all of the agenda into ‘Notes’ and make your addition there? I reverse this process when I write my notes on a trip when I am posting it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    British wrote:
    Could you cut and paste all of the agenda into ‘Notes’ and make your addition there? I reverse this process when I write my notes on a trip when I am posting it here.

I don't know about doing that with the Daily Agenda since mine is no longer available (if it ever was), but just now I couldn't get that technique to work with the app Itinerary on my iPad- I couldn't copy it or do anything with it. I could copy text from other websites so it was not a problem with my iPad.
  • Options
    Wow...I didn't know there was finally a Tauck app! Sadly it says it's not compatible with my smartphone, but I was able to load it on my tablet. Luckily I usually travel with both.

My Dec. 16 Christmas Markets on the Danube trip is there but it's too early for my Rhine, Swiss Alps and Amsterdam Cruise in October. 2019.

I like to make notes too, so I will probably print out the detailed itinerary to be sure I have someplace to make them..
  • Options
    Wow...I didn't know there was finally a Tauck app! Sadly it says it's not compatible with my smartphone, but I was able to load it on my tablet. Luckily I usually travel with both.

My Dec. 16 Christmas Markets on the Danube trip is there but it's too early for my Rhine, Swiss Alps and Amsterdam Cruise in October. 2019.

I like to make notes too, so I will probably print out the detailed itinerary to be sure I have someplace to make them..

I use my green books for notes or the daily detailed schedules. Even with the app, I suspect Tauck will be using them for a long while. I usually add additional details like times, what we liked or didn't, etc. I also use my green book for info like the 1-800 numbers for credit cards in case they are lost/stolen, my sky miles acct number, etc. Handy to have it all together.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I use my green books for notes or the daily detailed schedules. Even with the app, I suspect Tauck will be using them for a long while. I usually add additional details like times, what we liked or didn't, etc. I also use my green book for info like the 1-800 numbers for credit cards in case they are lost/stolen, my sky miles acct number, etc. Handy to have it all together.

I put copies of the contract, airline booking info, website itinerary, Tauck transportation, hotel, etc. phone numbers, passport info, etc. on both my wife's iPhone (I'm a luddite when it comes to cell phones) and both our iPads.

We also have keepass, an app for securely storing (encrypted) passwords, credit card #, phone number for reporting, theft, etc., on our mobile devices (and laptops at home.)
  • Options
    I admit that I had to look up “luddite”, but I don’t think you qualify. (;-)
  • Options
    The Green Book that was sent out to the 180 passengers on our recent Iceland trip was from the year before, and since then the whole itinerary had changed. But! Claudia, I like your idea though, especially putting actual times things took, distances, like and dislikes and I guess any extra places you find to visit or places you want to see when you go back. For me it is certainly quicker than finding time to type it all into your iPad or phone. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    AlanS wrote:
    I would like to be able to take notes in the app - special things we did, things we saw- even on the guest list, e.g. "tall guy with handlebar mustache, avoid him at all costs. I think he is a spy." : )

Claudia, your quote cracked me up. I took notes on the E-mail list we were given at the end of the tour.
  • Options
    SandraHolz wrote:
    Claudia, your quote cracked me up. I took notes on the E-mail list we were given at the end of the tour.

Nope, that was Alan. It's a good one though.
  • Options
    I will report back after the tour as to how well our agenda matched reality.

Well, I'm back. As I suspected the agenda was just an approximate schedule. The TD gave out weekly sheets with activities that were close to the agenda. Even these had to be supplimented with daily updates when we were on the cruise portion (Grand Alaska tour). The daily updates were necessary due to last minute schedule changes due to ship schedules and dining reservations.

So, in short, the agenda is just an approximate guideline. The TD handouts are more accurate.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I go on a US based tour in two weeks. There is no agenda available yet on the app. Let's see what happens, I am not hopeful
    On our last tour, Iceland, we never got a passenger list and no email list of course.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    On our last tour, Iceland, we never got a passenger list and no email list of course.

I forgot to mention. We did get a passenger list, but it was incomplete and contained other errors.
  • Options
    I have a general question as a new Tauck traveler. On these forums, what's the difference between a "Traveler" and an "Explorer?"
  • Options
    Once you have posted a certain number of times, you become an explorer. I have no idea what that number is.
  • Options
    I have a general question as a new Tauck traveler. On these forums, what's the difference between a "Traveler" and an "Explorer?"

It has always been that after a certain number or posts the designation changes to Explorer. The number listed is how many times you have written something on the Forum. The count is for answers to questions or just general comments that can be about anything.