Options

Ipads

Do folks bring iPads with them (not for taking photos!)?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, this is common on just about any trip. Do you have a specific concern?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    lmcwpr wrote:
    Do folks bring iPads with them (not for taking photos!)?

I do. In addition to a few apps for banking, email, browsing, trip documents, etc. my iPad has folders containing the photos from all our past trips. Also, at the end of each day, I download the days photos to the iPad, leaving the original on the camera- that way I have a spare copy of my photos should something happen to my camera. If I have time in places with decent WiFi, I also upload a few photos with captions to my wife's Facebook account. Of course, there is the Tauck app too.

Despite weak WiFi limited to the lobby in the Fairmont Mara, a couple of our co-travelers were able to Facetime or Skype with relatives back home.
  • Options
    Just remember that if you are returning to the US from certain countries, you have to put them -- and any electronic device larger than a cell phone -- into your checked luggage. My "green book" for my upcoming Indochina trip reminded me of that restriction, which applies to me since I'll be flying through the UAE.
  • Options
    MCD wrote:
    Just remember that if you are returning to the US from certain countries, you have to put them -- and any electronic device larger than a cell phone -- into your checked luggage. My "green book" for my upcoming Indochina trip reminded me of that restriction, which applies to me since I'll be flying through the UAE.

"In late July, U.S. Homeland Security ended its controversial four-month ban on passengers carrying laptops onboard America-bound flights from certain airports in the Middle East and North Africa."
  • Options
    Would anyone know if Doha is on the list of allowed origins for taking an iPad as onboard luggage
  • Options
    As usual, Alan, you're on top of things. I had heard about the ban, and forgotten about it...but never saw that it had been lifted. Thank you. Maybe Tauck will change the green book, which does list Qatar as one of the countries on the "no large electronics" list, Anne.
  • Options
    Always take an iPad. In Africa, if I have no Wi-Fi, i write my emails on Notes and then quckly cut and paste when I have Wi-Fi or if I am posting a review to the forum, I first write it in bits on Notes and then cut and paste.
    Mr B takes his iPad on game drives and then as he takess photographs with his camera, they immediately download onto his iPad. Never take photos with my iPhone on a game drive, too worried about it being jolted out of my hands.
    You can FaceTime email, watch downloaded films, send email, read news. Never leave my iPad at home. I’m using it now in a hospital waiting room.
  • Options
    Thanks to all! I’ll bring mine for sure ????
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    British wrote:
    I’m using it now in a hospital waiting room.

That doesn't sound good!?!? Hand surgery for Mr.B? Trigger finger or something else?
  • Options
    Something else. Successful, should be Ok after six months, ready for next Tour!
  • Options
    milmil
    edited January 2019
    CONGRATS ! BRITISH GLAD YOUR SURGERY WENT WELL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file