Malarone in the morning or Malarone in the evening?

Any advice on best time to take Malarone? Is it better to take with breakfast or better with dinner? July 20 coming fast!

Comments

• edited June 2019

The simple answer to your question is follow the doctor's or label instructions. Since you are supposed to take it at the same time each day, I suggest taking it in the morning.

However, after our recent trip to Botswana, my wife and I have decided there is not a "best time" to take Malarone. We both had mild issues with it so will not be taking it again. Several years ago on K&T she took Doxycycline and had no problems, so if we go to an area where malaria is a threat, we will be taking Doxy; unless our doctor prescribes something else. Both have similar lists of side effects, however.

• As this medicine should be taken 24 hours apart, we took ours with dinner in Africa/Zimbabwe so when we returned to the US and had a few more doses to take, we could take it with lunch and keep on the 24 hour cycle.

• Morning!!! at night ,some people have experience problems falling at sleep and nightmares.... right after breakfast it's great because you can have dairy , which helps with your stomach and the medication. I did that on my Safari and it worked perfect.

• Look here
    https://www.drugs.com/malarone.html

We take ours at dinner. As you can see when you read all the info here, it’s best to consult with your doctor who knows your medical history and other medications you are already taking. We here on the forum could be anyone giving wrong advice.
    Nightmares were common with Larium, it’s hardly ever prescribed now. Trouble falling asleep could just be jet lag.

• I can’t eat for an hour after I have taken my Thyroid meds in the morning, so that doesn’t work for me. On some safaris you only get coffee and a cookie when you are woken around 5 or 6am. You eat breakfast later. Dinner is normally a similar time with more food so we feel that works better for us and with the time change when we get back home, we can switch that to morning here in the US. We have been doing it this way since we first took Malerone in 2006, we have never had any problems and have not contracted malaria. The specs for Malerone say take with food, it doesn’t say which part of the day like it sometimes says for other meds. Please follow your doctor’s advice.

for

• Obviously, there are pros and cons to each approach. We always took ours in the morning as that timing was more consistent. Evening meal times can vary due to the earlier and later activities. Also, some evening meals are away from your quarters so you'd need to remember to take the medicine with you.

• Yes, no right or wrong way, just consistency. Mr B is a nerd when it comes to remembering to take the meds with us to dinner in a little container if we think the time differences are going to be great. On the African safaris we generally go to bed very soon after dinner so we sometimes take the meds as soon as we get to the room. Ideally taken in the middle of a decent sized meal, we haven’t had any affects from doing it this way on occasion. Most importantly, we have not contracted Malaria. According to our Infectious disease contact, people do come back from India and Africa with Malaria.

• Thankyou for the valuable information.iam very much impressed with this one. ac market
    Looking forward for the good posts. pubg

• Have a fabulous time in K and T. We are going again in December with the added gorilla trek in Rwanda!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file