K & T Sept 25th trip, Wilderbeest migration??

edited July 2019 in Kenya & Tanzania

Anyone know if we would be seeing any of the Wilderbeest migration. Seems like we're in the right area around the right time.

Comments

• Pardon the correction- it is Wildebeest. The migration is a continuous rotation between Kenya and Tanzania, and not a precisely timed event, so a lot depends and where you are and when, and luck. Timing and location can change a bit from year to year, too, due to early or late rains. Despite not being there at the right time, we caught a mini-migration because the rains were late that particular year in that area. There are a number of websites, some of them with moving map displays like the one at this link https://www.expertafrica.com/tanzania/info/serengeti-wildebeest-migration that will tell you all about and show you the typical migration locations and times- these sites are not all in 100% agreement but should give you a good idea.

• edited July 2019

Thanks Alan, I was looking at the maps and that was why I was asking. Just wondering if the tour might make any minor detour to see them, if we were close. Or, in a perfect scenario, floating over them on the balloon ride.
    Spelling corrected. :)

• Drop the "r" and you'll be fine. :)

The locations of game drives change from morning to evening and day to day as needed. The drivers go where the game is at that moment in time (often based on info passed by other drivers over the radio.) However, you need to realize the safari vehicles stop often for viewing and travel fairly slowly between viewing spots due to the irregular, pot hole-filled and heavily rutted (sometimes muddy) tire tracks (ain't no "roads" and sometimes there aren't even tire tracks, so you don't go very far or fast.) The Serengeti and Mara are extensive and its not like there are designated "animal crossings."

All that being said, if there is a migration close enough and the timing is right you'll see it, same goes for the famous river crossings.

Final note- the migration is just a bajillion wildebeest making their characteristic gnuing sound while plodding and meandering along in numerous irregular lines across the plains accompanied by lesser numbers of zebra. Wildebeest are not the most elegant or majestic looking animals (as they say, they are made from spare parts). I don't remember the timing but sometimes you'll get lucky and see births or babies.

• edited July 2019

We did the K&T tour last year - end of August. Our tour director made a detour after the balloon ride so we could see the beginning of the migration into the Mara. (Even the beginning was amazing and worth the long day.)I checked those maps, too, but the migration moved slowly last year due to there still being rain in the Serengeti. So you can never predict. We went to the river to try to see a crossing, but we didn’t - too many big crocs in the river. But, yes, our tour director made a change in plans to try to see The Migration.

• It is mostly luck. We did K&T twice at roughly the same time of year. First time was a dry year, and we saw a spectacular migration across the Mara. People had been waiting for days and saw nothing. It started the moment we arrived. We watched for an hour and went to lunch. The second time we did a twelve hour day to give it a go, and we only saw a few animals cross. It was a wet year.

• Just returned from Great Migration (July 18-30) Saw thousands of wildebeest and zebras walking/running towards and across the rivers. Looks almost like our bison stampeding across the plains of the SW. Yes, we saw the crocs waiting and the lions stalking too! The wildebeests and zebras calve in early spring(northern hemisphere) and then start their travels from the Serengetti into the Masai Mara, arriving sometimes mid-July-August.It was an amazing trip.

• We were there in late August a few years ago. Here are a few shots.

Sometimes they make it across, sometimes the crocodiles win.

• Sherry - so glad you had such a wonderful trip. When you have time, I would love to read your review of the logistics of the tour, and particularly your assessment of the migration camps.

• Lotus girl, read my comments on the Great Migration site. It was a wonderful trip. It might be fun to try K and T and get the "deluxe" version, but actually our favorite lodging was in the mobile camp. Also, there were only 13 people and so this was a very personalized experience.

• Thank you, Sherry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file