Itinerary change in Essence of South America tour 2020 vs 2021

I'm interested in this tour for January, 2021, but noticed that the itinerary has changed significantly, deleting a major Chilean destination, Bariloche. In addition, the number of tour days has dropped from 14 to 11, while the cost of the tour has remained the same at $8990.
Just an FYI for anyone considering this tour. Go in 2020 unless you just want to be ripped off in 2021.

Comments

• Oops, correction to my original post. Cost for 2021 has increased for the classic tour from $8990 to $9890, so it's even more of a gouge than I first thought.

• I also noticed the change in the itinerary. I was on this tour last year and I thought the time spent in the upper Patagonia, from Puerto Varas to Bariloche and crossing the Andes by boat was the highlight of the trip. Looking at the reviews for this trip, it appears that was the case for a great number of travelers.

• We were going to take the original tour, but not now. We’ve been to Patagonia and would have loved a chance to see a little more there too. The other thing that surprised me is exactly the same one day itinerary in BA going to the Silversmith and Horse Whisperer. Here on this forum, several people did not like that day. We enjoyed it. But the original tour did not do the day but went to other sites not repeated on the Patagonia tour, which is another reason we wanted to take the old tour. Generally speaking, Tauck does not appear to repeat days on similar tours, I guess so that people would still be interested in going to the same area. Of course the main reason to take this tour for us was Iguazzu Falls. Whoops, spelling!
    One more thing, we were caught up in the riots in Santiago last year and had a tear gas experience. There are similar troubles there now, right near the hotel where we were sitting when we had to evacuate to the back of the hotel because of the gas which affected our eyes and throats.

• I've been thinking about this "Essence of South America" tour for 2024. (My wall map of places I've been shows South America as pretty bare -- just Peru and Bolivia.) However, the itinerary doesn't go anywhere in Chile except a winery a couple of hours away from Santiago (and the Santiago airport). If I'm going that far, I'd want to see Santiago and Valparaiso. Has anyone done those cities on his or her own? Is it worth it? Is it safe for a solo?

• I have been on 2 Tauck tours of South America that originated in Santiago. I arrived a day earlier and scheduled a Santiago city tour for the afternoon. The next day, the tours started with dinner, freeing up plenty of time to take the day trip to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar.
    I generally use Tours by Locals, but there are other local tour guide companies or you can contact the hotel.
    If you are planning on going to Valparaiso, make sure you let your guide know when you need to be back, that way you can start out early.

• edited December 2022

MCD - I'm doing the Essence tour in October 2023. We added an extra day in Santiago, but we will likely just spend it walking around Santiago and seeing some of the things that the brief city tour doesn't show you on the regular tour.

I looked at Trip Advisor and the tours to Valparaiso are full day tours, arriving back in Santiago in early evening. That timing doesn't work with our airline flights back to the states. So to see Valparaiso, for us would required two extra days and I'm not sure it warrants that.

The other Tauck tour to the region (the Patagonia tour) gives Santiago a similar treatment, spending several days in southern Chile in the Punta Arenas area.

For me, the one extra day in Santiago will satisfy my Chilean desires. The Essence tour definitely seems to be more front loaded. For me the highlight will be Iguazu Falls, which falls in the middle of the tour.

• Yes, no question that the highlight is Iguazu Falls. I think you will see the falls from views of two different countries. Spectacular . It’s been quite a while that I’ve taken this tour. I bought a lovely leather jacket in Argentina and gorgeous shoes in Rio.

• Yes, I definitely expect Iguazu Falls to be the highlight of the trip! I look forward to reading your review, Smiling Sam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file