Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #35

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 won by JohnS
Submitted by KathyM. The (formerly McDonald-Randolf) Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire, England. Episodes of the British TV show inspector Morse were filmed here in the "Morse" Bar and throughout Oxfordshire.

Round #30 won by Claudia Sails
Submitted by Sealord. Peacock Clock at the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Tauck’s small ship cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg.

Round #31 won by Smiling Sam (again!!)
Submitted by ClaudiaSails. Statues of Vikings(?) on the right bank of the Seine River at the Boieledieu bridge in Rouen.

Round #32 won by JohnS with assist from Sealord
Submitted by Smiling Sam. This is Mumbai India. These people in the white suites are lunch delivery people. They are called Dabbawala and part of a lunchbox delivery and return system that delivers hot lunches from homes and restaurants to people at work in India, especially in Mumbai.

Round #33 won by Smiling Sam and AlanS
Submitted by SueMS. Le Cordon Bleu cooking school, Paris, learning to make Macaroons under the guidance of Pastry chef instructor Éric Verger. It was at the beginning of the Savoring France Rhone River cruise, which started in Paris. Then we boarded the TGV train to Lyon for embarkation. Oh. and we got to keep the aprons and hats.

Round #34 won by rwilso15
Submitted by MCD. The memorial at the killing fields in Cambodia. Full of the skulls and bones retrieved from the mass graves. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos tour.

Round #35 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

This one is dedicated to the 2 guys who seem unbeatable - AlanS and Smiling Sam.
    There are some easy questions and some hard questions. Hints will be provided as needed.

I took this picture from the bus while going north at about 60 mph. I knew this spot was approaching, as we passed it in the other direction on the way to a tour hotel/highlight, so I was ready for it when going in the other direction. There aren't too many roads around there, so we did take the same road, though the destination was different.

1. What is this a picture of? (obvious, no tricks)
    2. Why would I take this picture? (look closely)
    3. What country is it in? (you'll probably need a hint or two)
    4. What is the name of the "attraction" in this picture? (relates to Q3)

• Options

With the resolution I don't see what I can extract, but based on your comments here's a guess or two.

1) Desert Highway in Jordan likely headed from Petra back to Amman. The resolution of the picture doesn't present much of any "attraction" - a flatbed truck, a power station, and half of a building. Can't make out anything in the distance

2) On the highway between Haifa and Jerusalem or between Jerusalem and Masada in Israel. Perhaps there is a section of the wall that separates Israel from the West Bank off in the distance.

Why you would take this picture - bored on a long bus ride.

Q3 - only things that come to mind 3rd quarter of the year or a model of Audi.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Well it can't be those Tesla charging stations, but that could be a hint. Big white building in the distance looks like a Tesla GigaFactory like found in Zheng Jia Lu, Fengxian District, China, but not- wrong windows and no red stripe, and not the factory in Freemont, CA. Similar terrain, and it is big and white like Tesla's lithium-Ion battery factory in Sparks, NV, but again, wrong windows and no red stripe. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

• Options
    edited April 2020

You guys amaze me. You're both on the right track.

Smiling Sam - Yes, it is the Desert Hwy, heading from Petra to Amman.
    AlanS - Yes, it is a Tesla charging station. Note the 4 pedestals between the truck and the power pole near the building, though the building is not relevant. Those are called Tesla Superchargers.

I won't give any additional info yet. I suspect you guys will figure it out.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Smiling Sam got the location- a Tesla Charging station in (Al-Qatrana?) Jordan- Hwy 15/45 (Desert Hwy) north of Petra- I can see the building with the round blue glass windows. Further investigation needed.

• Options

Outstanding, Alan!

There are currently only 2 countries in the Middle East with a Tesla presence - Jordan and the UAE. Infrastructure is currently being built in Israel. For some reason unclear to me, Tesla was up and running in Jordan in 2015 when there are only a few hundred Supercharger locations around the world (most in the US and Europe). Jordan is a poor country and at that time, only the Model S and X were available, with a price tag of ~100K USD. Currently, Jordan has 4 Supercharger locations open.

To answer the questions I posed:
    1. it's a parking lot that is part of a rest area/truck stop along the Desert Hwy in Jordan.
    2. It was a long drive and I've owned a Tesla for 5+ years.
    3/4.

• Options

Well, I thought we were looking at the white building in the distance in your photo, some nefarious or military facility that is not identified on maps- there is one blank spot with no Street View a bit south of there along that section of highway. As best I can tell from Google Street View the white building was just a chicken farm (certainly not a hog farm!!!!). And here I thought the Tesla Charging Station was just secondary. Silly me! :)

• Options
    MCDMCD
    edited April 2020

We didn't get to see this on our recent tour, which was disrupted. Jordan closed tourist sites, so we couldn't go to the ruins at Petra. Furthermore, because Jordan was closing the airport on Tuesday, those of us who were still on the tour were advised to try to get out on Sunday, rather than the Monday that the tour was supposed to end, so we left Wadi Musa (the town where the Petra ruins were located) after dinner on Saturday and headed right to Amman -- in the darkness. I napped for 2 hours before leaving at 3:00 am for my flight home (my 3rd "evacuation plan" of the trip). Still, it was a great trip, and I can't say enough good things about our tour director, Carmine, who had to deal with curve balls coming at him daily. (I said that on my "comment "card.")

• Options

Was Carmine an Italian guy?

• Options

He had an Italian last name, but he was from Canada.