"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #38

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 won by AlanS and Portolan.
Submitted by JohnS. Sadhus in Kathmandu, Nepal in front of Pashupatinath Temple (cremation site). The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus- smoke it and drink a beverage infused with it. The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

Round #29 won by JohnS
Submitted by KathyM. The (formerly McDonald-Randolf) Randolph Hotel in Oxfordshire, England. Episodes of the British TV show inspector Morse were filmed here in the "Morse" Bar and throughout Oxfordshire.

Round #30 won by Claudia Sails
Submitted by Sealord. Peacock Clock at the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia. Tauck’s small ship cruise to the Baltic and St. Petersburg.

Round #31 won by Smiling Sam (again!!)
Submitted by ClaudiaSails. Statues of Vikings(?) on the right bank of the Seine River at the Boieledieu bridge in Rouen.

Round #32 won by JohnS with assist from Sealord
Submitted by Smiling Sam. This is Mumbai India. These people in the white suites are lunch delivery people. They are called Dabbawala and part of a lunchbox delivery and return system that delivers hot lunches from homes and restaurants to people at work in India, especially in Mumbai.

Round #33 won by Smiling Sam and AlanS
Submitted by SueMS. Le Cordon Bleu cooking school, Paris, learning to make Macaroons under the guidance of Pastry chef instructor Éric Verger. It was at the beginning of the Savoring France Rhone River cruise, which started in Paris. Then we boarded the TGV train to Lyon for embarkation. Oh. and we got to keep the aprons and hats.

Round #34 won by rwilso15
Submitted by MCD. The memorial at the killing fields in Cambodia. Full of the skulls and bones retrieved from the mass graves. Seen on the Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos tour.

Round #35 shared by AlanS and Smiling Sam
Sumitted by BKMD. Tesla Supercharger charging stations at the Al Manaseer gas station along Hwy 15/45 (Desert Hwy) between Petra and Amman, Jordan. Jordan is one of only two, UAE being the other, middle east countries that has Tesla infrastructure. Seen on Tauck's Israel and Jordan trip.

Round #36 won (tie) by Smiling Sam and TravelGuy
Submitted by JohnS. This is Athabasca Glacier on the Columbia Icefield in Alberta, Canada. The pictures were taken last year on the Tauck Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park Tour.

Round #37 won by JohnS
Submitted by AlanS. La Fenice (“The Phoenix”) Opera House in Venice. The history of the theatre (and Venice society, etc.), the 1996 fire that destroyed it, and its reconstruction were chronicled in John Berendt’s best selling non-fiction book “City of Falling Angels.” A metaphore for sure, but the falling angels referred to the sculptures that fell from the structure of the theater and nearby buildings during the fire.

Round #38 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Here's another one to play with.
    Where was the picture taken?
    Name a popular movie that used this for a location. (I know again with the movie references)

• The Basilica Cistern in Istanbul
    James Bond - From Russia With Love

• Oh, man that is too easy! :D

Cisterna Bazilika/Basilica Cistern, Istanbul, Turkey - 1963 James Bond film "From Russia With Love"

• Someone was really quick with the keyboard!!

• Quick - With respect to the movie, I was thinking of the more recent movie, Inferno, directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks. They shut down the site for 4 days during the filming of Inferno.

• Inferno - the book was excellent. The movie was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen, and to top it off, they completely changed the ending of the book!

• BKMD - That happens a lot with movies made from books. I'm not a purist in that way that require that movies stick exactly to the book. I enjoyed the movie, as I did the others in that same series.

• Sam - I remember thinking to myself, "why would Tom Hanks be in such a poorly done movie? Did he mismanage his assets like Nicholas Cage and lower his stanrds to take any part?"

I understand movies don't necessarily follow the book to the letter, but this one was a 180 reversal of the ending.

• Smiling Sam
    12:48PM

Quick - With respect to the movie, I was thinking of the more recent movie, Inferno, directed by Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks. They shut down the site for 4 days during the filming of Inferno.

I was thinking that too, but James Bond came up first and I wanted to get my entry posted quickly- alas, I still wasn't fast enough!

• I remember years ago Michael Caine being interviewed about a particular not so good movie. When asked why he did the movie, he replied....The wife wanted a swimming pool, so I did the movie!

• I wonder about DeNiro, too. He's been in a lot of terrible movies in recent years.

• I don't know anyone whose career is filled with nothing but highlights. I know I worked on a few clunkers. You just hope there are more highlights than clunkers. Sounds like Michael Caine had a good way of looking at things. Not every performance was Oscar worthy, some are simply just for a paycheck.