"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? (NOW OPEN TO ALL) Round #72

edited April 2020 in General

NOW OPEN TO ALL!

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #63 won by BKMD
Submitted by Smiling Sam. A woman of one of the Karen tribes which reside in both Myanmar and Thailand. Picture was taken in Chiang May, Thailand on the Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand tour.

Round #64 won by AlanS
Submitted by Portolan. Katzenzungen Castle, home of the 350+ year old vine of Versoaln. Versoaln isn’t just Italy’s oldest vine, it is one of the oldest in the world – and the largest in Europe. Located in Tisens, South Tyrol, it is 350 years old, and its branches form a 300-square-meter pergola. It produces a white wine that goes by the same name as the vine, Versoaln.

Round #65 won by BKMD
Submitted by MCD. The Boboli Gardens of Pitti Palace - Florence Italy. The Abundance, 1608 - 1637, by Sebastiano Salvini - Giambologna - Pietro Tacca. White marble with wheat bouquet of bronze.

Round #66 won by AlanS
Submitted by BKMD. A photo taken during the Israel & Jordan tour a short distance from the Movenpick Resort in Jordan of the window of a small shop. The window display featured a female mannequin wearing a “Burkini,” a full body swimsuit which covers all but face, hands, and feet, and is designed to be worn by Islamic women.

Round #67 won by JohnS
Submitted by Sealord. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain

Round #68 won by BKMD
Submitted by JohnS. A high drop, “Squatty Potty” at Bhadrapur Airport (BDP) in Bhadrapur, Mechi, Nepal.

Round #69 won by Johns (and BKMD)
Submitted by Kathy M. Folding parking preventer. Zagreb, Croatia. This style is also known as a Wide Arm Fold Down Bollard.

Round #70 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by BKMD. Isla del Sol, village of Yumani, Bolivia, the Inca Stairs. 12,552'- the stairs add 200 meters in elevation, at the top.

Round #71 won by connorlaker
Submitted by sidecar. It is Toledo, Spain. It is known for being the City of Three Cultures: Christian, Muslin, & Jewish. Also, the sister city of Toledo, Ohio (A few miles from where we live.) "Holy Toledo"

Admin. Toledo has an incredible history of conquest. In your free time (is there anything else now? ) read the “short” Wikipedia history of this incredible city.

Round #72 (Now Open to All) is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• You may have run out of Rookies. (;-)

• It gives me a break! :D I'll let it ride a bit more before I open it up.

• edited April 2020

Our UK Tauck friends can read but are still unable to participate in the forums (according to Tauck IT it is an issue associated with the online billing/account, etc. software for those from the UK, NZ, and AUS), so I am submitting this photo for DavidB from the UK.

What is it? Where? Where was he going in it? (new question) What is the logo in lower left of the license plate? (p.s. I know most answers but not the full story so there may be a delay posting the answers.)

Update: I have been advised that due to the bright sun and angle, the item appears yellow. It is actually RED!!

• Is this still only open for newbies?
    A workaround for those outside the US would be to use a VPN and connect to a US server.

• Yes, newbies only, at least for now. We'll see if anyone responds. I sense you are chomping at the bit to weigh in?? :D

I'll let our distant fellow travels figure out if they can participate. The SPAM software may not allow VPN registration and participation.

• Update: I have been advised that due to the bright sun and angle, the item appears yellow. It is actually RED!!

• We used to have several regulars on the forum from England and Australia and Canada, so unless the new Forum is different, there just aren’t people posting from there.
    Hey any non US people out there!

• British
    5:43PM

We used to have several regulars on the forum from England and Australia and Canada, so unless the new Forum is different, there just aren’t people posting from there. Hey any non US people out there!

British, read my first sentence in my 4:23 post above- it is a Tauck software issue associated with the new software and maybe earlier.

OzJohnno may still be traveling but Jan Durkin (JDurkin) stopped posting a few years ago so may not be traveling any more, at least with Tauck. Both their screen names appear in the message directory, which was imported from the old forum, but, like I said, they can't post or message.

• Am I allowed a guess, or do the answers have to come from ‘rookies’?

• I was looking for rookies on both sides, but, stand by . . . .

• Bump. Now open to all.

• It’s a Red Jammer bus in Glacier Nat. Park. He is on the Going-to-the-sun road.
    The logo on the license plate indicates the US Dept of the Interior which I believe is a Buffalo.

• edited April 2020

DavidB from the UK says yes. It is a red Jammer in Glacier National Park. The photo was before our run along the 'Going to the Sun Road’ to Lake McDonald Lodge. The Red Buses of Glacier were made by the White Motor Company and are Model 706. Roe Emery (1875-1953) was one of two principals behind the creation of Glacier’s iconic Red Buses. Emery and Walter White, a vice president of the Cleveland-based White Motor Company, which built the Red Buses, introduced transportation to the park in 1914. The drivers (and often the buses) are called “Jammers” because they could be heard “Jamming” the gears of the red buses going up Going-to-the-Sun Road when the buses had standard (manual) transmissions. Many in the current fleet of Red Buses have been in service since the mid-1930s. The Red Buses were the first authorized motor transportation utility in any National Park. You can read more about them and their history at this link and at the embedded link on that page. It is quite an interesting story.
    Yellowstone National Park also has a similarly iconic “Yellow Bus” company of eight vintage White Motor Co. buses that ferry visitors on guided wildlife-watching tours, photo safaris, sunset tours, and more. You can read more about Yellowstone’s Yellow Buses at this link

• I agree but I didn’t get the Buffalo. Sent it offline to AlanS a couple hours ago. We did this trip, ‘Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park’, or something like that, in 2016. They had the top down on the jammer for the first half of the trip and we froze half to death. After a revolt at the top of the Great Divide, they put the tops up. Great trip, but we are not ‘bus’ people. We do the ‘boat’ trips now.

• The Buffalo is on the license plate because it is part of the symbol for the Department of Interior that runs the National Parks.

• We took this tour years ago and loved it.