Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #92

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #86 won by Portolan
Submitted by AlanS. Peruvian Paso horses during a performance at Hacienda Mamacona in Lurin, Peru. Known for their extremely smooth ride which is a result of a unique four step gait. They inherited this gait from European predecessors, strict breeding and training, though some claim it resulted from walking on the hot sands of coastal Peru. During the performance the horses wore ribbons to signify their prior show successes.

Round #87 won by BobHamburger with assist from TravelGuy.
Submitted by Sandman. A ski jumper airborne over the Bergisel with the town of Innsbruck, Austria, site of the ’64 and ’76 Olympics, in the background. Photo taken on Alpine Adventure, a Tauck Bridges Tour.

Round #88 won by AlanS with assist from Portolan
Submitted by connorlaker. Photo of Connor, his bride, and Mount Kilimanjaro, taken from Observation Hill in Amboseli National Park, Kenya on Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari.

Round #89 won by AlanS
Submitted by KathyM. This picture of the Rainbow Bridge National Monument in southern Utah, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area was taken on the plan ride from the Lake Powell area during the Canyonlands trip. Rainbow Bridge is only accessible by boat on Lake Powell or by land over a 14+ mile trail from the Navajo Nation.

Round #90 won by Kathy M
Submitted by JohnS. A view of Cortina d’Ampezzo in the Dolomite Mountains of northern Italy. Photo taken from the Cristallo hotel on Ultimate Alps & Dolomites tour.

Round #91 won by BKMD
Submitted by British. A view of the Panama City, Panama, waterfront, taken looking south, from the Hilton Panama during The Panama Canal & Costa Rica small ship cruise. The Interamerican (Panamerican) Highway (Rte 1) just below, follows the coastline here. Panama Bay, the approach to the canal and Bridge of Americas are (not visible) off in the distance in the center of the second photo near the distant islands. Google Maps, satellite view has been updated to show the new Cocoli locks. Check it out.

Factoid- when you transit the Panama Canal from Pacific to Atlantic, you travel in a northwest direction. Likewise when transiting the Canal from the Atlantic to Pacific you travel in a southeast direction.

Round #92 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

Name the city and the nearby market.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Carmel Market, Tel Aviv near the Dan Panorama Hotel

• Options
    edited April 2020

Picture taken from the Intercontinental David hotel, not Dan Panorama, looking toward Dan Panorama.

• Options

Yup! Thought maybe the Vidal candy brand would throw someone off, as it's from Spain!

The view of the Med was out my room window in the David Intercontinental. Carmel Market is one of 4 daily markets (or Shuk, as it's called in Hebrew and Arabic) with fresh produce, clothes, etc.

• Options

Note I said "near the Dan Panorama" not from the Dan Panorama (which would be hard since it is in the picture). Challenge was to name the market, not the photo vantage point.

• Options

BKMD
    10:56PM

Yup! Thought maybe the Vidal candy brand would throw someone off, as it's from Spain!

It did me, since there were too many Panorama Hotels.

• Options

Note - You got the challenge correct, I just clarified the extra comment. It is also ‘near’ the Mediterranean Sea.

• Options

**AlanS ** It did me, since there were too many Panorama Hotels.

I googled Panorama hotels before posting and saw the large number of them. If it were a real clue, I would have edited it out.

The food in Israel was my favorite of all the trips I've done. LOVED the seafood tasting meal at Uri Buri. Everything is so fresh. 95% of the produce eaten in Israel is grown locally. :Here are a few more Carmel Market pics.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Here was my Intercontinental room shot and a few from the Carmel. Not sure if the pomegranates were still in season when you were there, but their displays were interesting. As part of the tour we had fresh squeezed pomegranate juice in Haifa and in Petra.

Here are a couple of shots of the pomegranates being squeezed.

• Options

Yes, pomegranates were still in season when I was there (Nov). I had some freshly squeezed pomegranate juice, too, both at Carmel Market and in the Arab Quarter in Jerusalem. First time and very good. They had all sorts of interesting freshly squeezed juice options. One of the other tour members I was with got carrot juice. Biggest carrots I've ever seen! Also noted street vendors with smoothie stands, with all sorts of interesting ingredients as options (kale, yuck :) ) Read or heard somewhere that the population of Israel has the highest percentage of vegans/vegetarians in the world.

• Options

I hope our Israel Jordan tour can go next April. I’m glad I’m not the only person who takes numerous photos of food markets and puts them all in my photo album, it drives Mr. B crazy, he does not understand it. For me, going round food markets is one of my favorites things to see in foreign lands.

• Options

How bout these tasty mopani worms or tripe from Africa. 🤪

• Options

I’m pretty sure this place hasn’t been approved by the FDA! :D

• Options
    MCDMCD
    edited April 2020

I have the same photo as Smiling Sam of the pomegranates and oranges taken at the Carmel Market -- but my photo of a vendor squeezing fresh pomegranate juice (yummy!) is from Akko. Like British, I have lots of photos of markets in my albums.

• Options

Think the motor oil can was rinsed first?

• Options

How about that germ free meat sitting on the cardboard. What type of meat is it?