"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #98

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #86 won by Portolan
Submitted by AlanS. Peruvian Paso horses during a performance at Hacienda Mamacona in Lurin, Peru. Known for their extremely smooth ride which is a result of a unique four step gait. They inherited this gait from European predecessors, strict breeding and training, though some claim it resulted from walking on the hot sands of coastal Peru. During the performance the horses wore ribbons to signify their prior show successes.

Round #87 won by BobHamburger with assist from TravelGuy.
Submitted by Sandman. A ski jumper airborne over the Bergisel with the town of Innsbruck, Austria, site of the ’64 and ’76 Olympics, in the background. Photo taken on Alpine Adventure, a Tauck Bridges Tour.

Round #88 won by AlanS with assist from Portolan
Submitted by connorlaker. Photo of Connor, his bride, and Mount Kilimanjaro, taken from Observation Hill in Amboseli National Park, Kenya on Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari.

Round #89 won by AlanS
Submitted by KathyM. This picture of the Rainbow Bridge National Monument in southern Utah, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area was taken on the plan ride from the Lake Powell area during the Canyonlands trip. Rainbow Bridge is only accessible by boat on Lake Powell or by land over a 14+ mile trail from the Navajo Nation.

Round #90 won by Kathy M
Submitted by JohnS. A view of Cortina d’Ampezzo in the Dolomite Mountains of northern Italy. Photo taken from the Cristallo hotel on Ultimate Alps & Dolomites tour.

Round #91 won by BKMD
Submitted by British. A view of the Panama City, Panama, waterfront, taken looking south, from the Hilton Panama during The Panama Canal & Costa Rica small ship cruise. The Interamerican (Panamerican) Highway (Rte 1) just below, follows the coastline here. Panama Bay, the approach to the canal and Bridge of Americas are (not visible) off in the distance in the center of the second photo near the distant islands. Google Maps, satellite view has been updated to show the new Cocoli locks. Check it out
Factoid- when you transit the Panama Canal from Pacific to Atlantic, you travel in a northwest direction. Likewise when transiting the Canal from the Atlantic to Pacific you travel in a southeast direction.

Round #92 won by Portolan
Submitted by BKMD. Views of the Mediterranean from a Tel Aviv, Israel, hotel (next to the Dan Panorama Hotel) and sweet treats at the Carmel Market.

Round #93 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by Smiling Sam. A view of the cross on Mount Srd near Fort Imperial and the Adreatic Sea beyond in Dubrovnik, Croatia. 2016 small ship cruise, Venice and the Dalmatian Coast.

Round #94 won by SueMS
Submitted TravelGuy. The throne room (with thrones for King Kalākaua and his wife Queen Kapiʻolani) and the grand staircase at the Iolani Palace in Hololulu, Oahu, Hawaii, USA.

Round #95 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by connorlaker. Photo of a shelter at the base of Sakurajima Volcano, the most active volcano in Japan, (school children are required to wear hardhats walking to and from school). The second photo is of a footbath using water from a geothermal spring. Cruising the Land of the Rising Sun.

Round #96 won by Smiling Sam
Submitted by SueMS. These are mama and baby Lipizzaner horses and were on display next to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, Austria. (tour?)

Round #97 won by BKMD with assist from JohnS
Submitted by Kathy M. People riding the motorized walkway that provided sliders an easy trip back to the top of the glacier sliding hill on Mt. Titlis in Switzerland. Tour?

Round #98 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Following the same theme, I'll take this one:

What and where are these people playing? (not a tour option but just a 10 min. walk away)
What is a 10 min. walk away?
We might want to do it again in a couple of years.

Comments

• Looks like an alpine slide. Other than that, not sure what you're gettting at.

• I don't know but this looks like more fun.

• edited April 2020

I don't think so- WAY too much G-Force!!! Your photo looks tame comparatively. Nice view, though.

• edited April 2020

AlanS - Come on, I watched your pilot videos. You'd love this.

• edited April 2020

Our ride was much closer to the flight photos. Look at my wife's hair, and this was at the end of the ride after she slowed down! No barrier nets on the toboggan, no shoulder harness. I can't tell if there is a lap belt, but it was absolutely essential on our ride!! I tried to make the run w/o braking- couldn't do it!!! :o

• How about an alpine roller coaster in Wiegand, Germany

• Might not be in Germany, but Wiegand is the company.

• Take your pick on the location. Here's where they have them.

• Closest one to me is about 90 minutes away, but it's closed now, as are all the ski areas in the state (not due to lack of snow).

• edited April 2020

Nope, remember it is close (10 min. walk) to a tour stop. Re-read the second and fourth questions/sentences in my first post opening this entry above.

• edited April 2020

You seriously want us to guess what is a 10 minute walk from all tour stops? It is one of the green markers on the map. It is an alpine roller coaster.

• That is the third sentence.

• Can’t figure out your numbering system as to what you’re looking for.

• Sentence 1: "Following the same theme, I'll take this one:"

• We've established it is an alpine coaster, so now where?

• edited April 2020

Alpine Coaster Oberammergau
    SPASS UND ACTION FÜR DIE GANZE FAMILIE

• You betcha!

• There is one a 15 minute walk from Kandersteg, Switzerland.

• edited April 2020

It is the Kolbensattel Alpine Coaster (Kolbensattelbahn) in Oberammergau, Germany.

The hints were

"What and where are these people playing?" - Odd choice of word?
    and
    "We might want to do it again in a couple of years."

Play- the Passion Play and a "couple" (2) years. The Passion Play returns to Oberammergau in two years in 2022. :D

A tour of the Passion Play Theater in Oberammergau Germany was on our Romantic Germany itinerary, but we had already visited it several years prior on the Ultimate Alps & Dolomites tour, so I went looking for something else to do. After looking online I discovered the nearby Kolbensattel alpine Coaster. We couldn’t get a taxi so left right after lunch and walked about 10 min. (all uphill!) to the chairlift that took us up to the top and rode the coaster back down. It was fast and furious and long- nearly 5 min. according to the video. The ‘sled’ wheels captured tubular rails so I knew it couldn’t fly off into the trees or wire safety netting if I didn’t use the brakes- no brakes was my initial plan- after all faster is funner. :D That did not keep me from braking a few times on the hairpin turns, however. The sideways G-force through the turns was incredible- without the lap belt and shoulder harness the rider could easily fly out into the wire safety nets or into trees along the way. It was fantastic! Our only regret is that we didn’t have enough time for a second run.

Here is a link to a video of the fully automatic car handling and marshaling system and a complete run. (I’m glad I didn’t try to take my GoPro- it would have flown out of my hands or break free from my head or chest harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94hsMX7Ip28

Oberammergau:

• Video Link fixed. Sorry.