Brochures

I was so surprised to receive the Tauck Small ship and River cruise 2021 brochures this week! I haven’t even opened them. I was even more surprised when a girlfriend who has traveled with Tauck once maybe ten years ago, told me she received them too. She and her husband haven’t left the US for years and certainly have no interest in doing so going forward, they are both 75.
I read here on the forum that the brochures are advertising tours beginning in April. I’m interesting to know how many people feel confident that many people will have had a vaccine by then.
We are thinking that maybe late in the year, when there is a chance we might have been vaccinated, that we chose a country like England and go to spend at least a week in London, maybe stay at the Savoy. I’m confident a huge number of Brits will have been vaccinations by then. I’m eagerly waiting for friends there to tell me how it is going since several work for the health service.

Comments

• I got it and it went right in the garbage without taking it out of the plastic. I asked Tauck to stop sending river cruise brochures, as I don't do them. they said there's no way for them to pick and choose. Such a waste.

• Yep. I took a quick look at the new cruises,then straight to the recycle bin. I won't book a cruise until all COVID restrictions are lifted and the pandemic is history.

• Meanwhile, I’ve heard from another Brit. friend to say they will get their vaccines in February or March. They are very big travelers, even more than us, they particularly like exotic cruises. They were stranded on one of the Princess ships in South America at the beginning of the pandemic. They are already booking trips for 2021. The Brits will be nabbing all available tours instead of us.

• Good luck with your vaccinations and trips. Here in MA the schedule appears to be slower. Besides health care workers, residents and workers in nursing homes, first responders, .... they are prioritizing teachers, grocery workers, transit workers, people in group homes, prisoners .... ahead of the healthy over 65 group, even with a comorbidity. They have basically said that people who need to interact with the public or are living in congregate settings will get the shots ahead of those who could stay at home. We are in the second half of phase II which will run from March through May assuming they get enough vaccine. This would imply that we would not get the second shot until the end of May. The state has an app that tells you where you are in the priority order. If I put in my info, it says that there are over 2 million people ahead of me which means 4 million plus shots. I have not heard numbers of vaccines that large mentioned by the governor.

If you are under 65, the best bet is that you will be able to get a vaccine in the summer.

• I look at the brochures as window shopping. Not buying a cruise next year but fun to look at the pictures and think about the itineraries for maybe 2022. It reminds me though that I haven't gotten a Viking brochure since last spring. Usually monthly from them even though I've never taken one of their cruises. Hummm

• Wow, Pennsylvania hasn’t issued any guidance at all. We would like a choice of vaccine and clearly we would prefer the Pfizer one, but any vaccine before the end of next year would be great. Of course, it may be a few more days before the Pfizer vaccine is released...if as a result of the review there is any new labeling to do, for example, a stronger warning about possible anaphylactic shock, that’s going to take a bit of time. And, as a result of that, people are going to have to sit around for maybe fifteen minutes or a half hour after they get their first shot. With social distancing requirements, that’s really going to slow down the lines. I’m so afraid some of the vaccine is going to be wasted because it has been out of an optimum temperature range for too long. I don’t want any health care worker giving me a shot that is no good. I’m the continuing pessimist. I’m so afraid those I love are going to get the virus and there are no hospital beds left. It must be winter coming on that is making me sad.

• It's odd how the media has made such a talking point out of the vaccine manufacturers and the differences. has anyone ever looked at or cared which brand of penicillin or blood pressure medication they get?

Here in Colorado, I think I'm after prisoners :( Being under 65 and healthy puts me near the bottom of the list, so I don't expect it before summer. First trip booked is November 2021.

• NM still working their plans for distribution beyond healthcare workers first. Interestingly, Los Alamos National Laboratory (yes the place that developed the bomb in WWII) is doing computer modeling to work out the best plan. I spent some time doing combat modeling in the Pentagon so find this interesting.

Over time will schools, businesses, airlines, etc start making it a requirement to have proof of a vaccine? I fully expect not to be allowed to travel to Europe next year unless we have proof of vaccine.

• I will take the vaccine as soon as Dr. Fauci approves it and I can get it.

• Under normal circumstances, I think that’s a great idea,, great extra exposure for Tauck, but places like hair salons, nail salons etc no longer have magazines. It’s partly because they want to really pare down everything they need to clean between clients. A hairdresser also told me they have found they have stopped getting free magazines being sent to them. I will certainly take any brochures I have to my salons when situations normalize.

• I was surprised and annoyed to receive Tauck's brochure. It went directly into the recycle bin; a waste of money and resources as I see 2021 travel a chimera.

• Yes, I got the brochures. I enjoy thumbing thru them . Yes, I will take the vaccine. We are 77 and 74. Yes, I will travel and wear a mask if required. Who knows how many years we will be able to physically travel. Our first trip is August 2021. Keep the faith.

• I was very happy to receive a brochure. I think is a good indication of the light at the end of the tunnel. I enjoy reading through all of the Tauck brochures. Thank you, Tauck!

• I’ve been studying the brochures and looking at the trips online. If you click on ‘pricing and availability’ you will see that many of the trips have many of the room categories as ‘sold out’. If you wait until travel commences to do your planning, you may just be receiving post cards from your friends.

• There is no way I can book other vacations for 2021, not because I’m concerned they won’t take place, which in the first half of the year they won’t. It’s because I have three tours already booked...and until they are canceled, I am stuck with those.
    I’ve now looked at the two brochures and I see a couple of things I would be interested in. But, hey, when you guys go, please let me know how it was with all the restrictions and then I’ll go when the problems have been ironed out. Seriously.

• I haven't seen the brochure yet and am looking forward to getting it. We won't do river boats but enjoyed the small ship cruises we took to Croatia and the Ponant off the coast of Italy. Waiting to book the new one on the Origin to the Galapagos in 2022 - not available yet. We have the Greek cruise booked for early May but fall within the same group as Kathy M. in Massachusetts. I hope we get the vaccine before then as the second group for the vaccine is supposed to start in February here. Being optimistic, I just booked our cancelled Sicily trip for September. The new Canadien trip from Whistler we had hoped to do is not being offered in 2021. I don't see it yet for 2022. I hope it shows up in 2022.

Unfortunately the administration did not order enough doses to cover the 328M people in the US. Maybe if enough people opt out, it will speed things up for those of us who want it so we can start traveling again. Of course a lot depends on what the situation in the foreign countries is.

PS If you don't want catalogs you can opt out of most using catalogchoice.org. It is a free, nonprofit service but does accept donations. I get next to no mail catalogs now except those I really want.