Options

"Egypt: New Archaeological Finds with Dr. Mostafa Waziri".

Did everyone get the email notification from Tauck about next week's webinar on Jan 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Eastern Time. Waziri, secretary-general of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, is a big deal in Egyptian archaeology. He replaced the more well known Zahi Hawass, a larger-than-life Indiana-Jones-hat-wearing, fast-talking, promoter of Egyptian Antiquities who has appeared often on Nat Geo programs. Hawass is a bit of a self-promoter but also got into trouble for his support of Mubarek before the Arab Spring.

Anyway, I registered and submitted the following questions:

1. A big question that is on the minds of almost all travelers planning to visit Egypt in the near future- When will the Grand Egyptian Museum be open to visitors? Also, could you give us a brief update on what is left to do?

2. Other than cost, how do you decide which archaeological sites and ruins, especially mastabas, pyramids and tombs you will repair (and improve?) to make them safe for visitors to enter and which ones you will just stabilize to prevent further environmental decay? Do you anticipate any new sites will be opened or re-opened to visitors in the next two years?

3. Since 2017 radiological surveys have indicated there might be a large undiscovered void or room in the pyramid of Khufu. What is your opinion of these surveys and claims? What if any plans do you have to confirm or dismiss with certainty the existence of such a room?

4. I know there are an incredible number of archaeological sites still being excavated in Egypt by teams of Egyptian and international archaeologists, and that you, Dr. Hawass, and a few others are working with a select few tour companies to take visitors to some of them. Has anyone suggested or have you considered opening some of these sites to visitors so they can observe an active dig like those in Saqqara, Al-Asasif Cemetery, Abydos, Abu Rawash and Abu Sir, Taposiris Magna, Qubat El ‎Hawa, etc. during the dig season?

5. During the Amarna Royal Tombs Project was the Valley of the Kings surveyed in sufficient detail with ground-penetrating radar and seismological techniques so that you are convinced all tombs located there have been found? Or, like Dr. Hawass, do you believe there may still be a tomb or tombs yet to be discovered. If so, do you think there could be one or more comparable, in condition and contents, to the tomb of Tutankhamun? In the Valley of Kings or elsewhere?

6. National Geographic, with the close cooperation of the Egyptian Government, filmed and aired a fantastic television series, "Lost Treasures of Egypt," that followed a number of active archaeological excavations throughout your country. The series was not only extremely interesting, but was a great promotional vehicle for Egyptian tourism. Unfortunately, only two seasons were filmed and I have been unable to determine whether the series has been renewed, and if so, when new shows might air. Do you have any information about this?

Too bad we won't get to go this year! :'(

Comments

• Options

I didn't get the email. Can you paste it info here (or PM it to me, if you prefer)? TIA

• Options

BKMD
    8:47PM
    I didn't get the email. Can you paste it info here (or PM it to me, if you prefer)? TIA

Try this link:

https://www.tauck.com/blog/egypt-new-archaeological-finds/

• Options

I got the email and signed up.

• Options

Alan—I got the email and signed up. I’m so sorry as it sounds like your 2021 J&E tour has been cancelled. My fingers are crossed that December 2021 will go; however, I have no issues waiting if enough of the world haven’t received the vaccine by then or if the GEM will not be open. I really want to visit the GEM.

• Options
    edited January 2021

I wonder if the delay in posting some 2022 tours could also be because Tauck is making changes to the itineraries, e.g. J&E adding a day or two to visit additional sites, a half or full day at the GEM, etc., etc., or in the case of Treasures of Aegean (which is Windstar's "Treasures of the Greek Isles" with a Tauck front end), going back to the previous itinerary that started in Istanbul and ended in Athens, or adding a land segment trip to Meteora and Delphi, like Windstar's "Meteora & Delphi: Grecian Treasures Cruise Tour"? I like to think positive. :)

• Options

I’m thinking that Tauck are organizing where to take each group for Covid tests three days before we are due to depart for the US.if not them, they are going to have to let us have a day off from touring so we can figure this for ourselves. Reading all the info on the CDC, If we are not going directly home and have a stop over that lasts more than twenty four hours, we will require another test before getting on the next plane. Phew, we may never want the bother to do all this for a while, let others iron out all the problems.
    Looking forward to to the lecture though Alan!

• Options

Maybe they will have COVID tests available in vending machines like one college campus does

• Options

The CDC states it has to be a specific test with official online or paper documentation. Would these vending machines be in every city Tauck will be exiting the tour from. Maybe they will have them in Japan where I hope to be going in September, I’ve seen vending machines for absolutely everything there.