COVID Restrictions

We just booked a tour in mid-April to New Orleans (we were originally scheduled to do a European cruise on Ponant in May). We understand the COVID restrictions, but are wondering how Tauck is going to handle the welcome reception/dinner? Any guesses? It's a great way to meet fellow travelers.

Comments

• edited March 2021

When I talked with Tauck yesterday, after breaking out of ‘phone jail’, they said one of their criteria for resuming the tours will be the ability to provide the “Tauck product”. I think a large percentage of Tauck travelers will be vaccinated in the next two months. It is possible that it may become a requirement. I told my doctor yesterday that we planned on going to Kenya and Tanzania in June. He said, you’ve been vaccinated right? I said yes. He said, you will have no problem. I said, well we are with a tour company that won’t go if they can’t provide what’s expected. He said, I totally understand that they need to protect their reputation. I also asked the agent if they wanted to know that we had been vaccinated. She said, I get asked that a lot.

• Sealord - In preparation for your K&T trip I prepared a post card for you to British.

• edited March 2021

Actually, I plan on using this postcard which will probably be in our room at the “Gran Melia Arusha Hotel”.

If Tauck expects the next K&T to look exactly like the last K&T, I would have to say the prospects have dimmed unless everyone on the trip gets vaccinated. I’m also wondering if Tauck has a ‘rabbit in the hat’ to arrange for their TD’s to get vaccinated. Perhaps they could rename them “Teacher Directors” instead of “Tour Directors”. Our only criteria for going is simply that the tour operates. It would take a lot to make us ‘unhappy’ about being in Africa.

• Here is the latest email I got from STEP just this morning

Do not travel to Tanzania due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Tanzania due to crime, terrorism, and targeting of LGBTI persons.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for the Tanzania due to COVID-19. CDC compliant testing for COVID-19 is either not available or results are not always available within 3 calendar days of testing. Travelers should expect delays returning to the U.S.

For the duration of the pandemic, Tanzania has not implemented stay at home orders, nor limited transportation options or business operations. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Tanzania.

Reconsider Travel To:

Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania due to the threat of terrorism.
    Country Summary: Violent crime, such as assault, sexual assault, robberies, mugging, and carjacking, is common. Local police may lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crime.

Terrorist groups could attack in Tanzania with little or no warning, targeting embassies, police stations, mosques, and other places frequented by Westerners. Please see the additional information below regarding the increased threat of terrorism in Mtwara Region.

Members of the LGBTI community have been arrested, targeted, harassed, and/or charged with unrelated offenses. Individuals detained under suspicion of same-sex sexual conduct could be subject to forced anal examinations.

Read the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Tanzania:

See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.
    Visit the CDC's webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
    Always carry a copy of your U.S. passport and visa and keep original documents in a secure location.
    Be aware of your surroundings.
    Do not leave your food or drink unattended.
    Stay alert in all locations, especially those frequented by Westerners.
    Avoid public displays of affection particularly between same-sex couples.
    Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
    Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter
    Review the Crime and Safety Report for Tanzania.
    Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.
    Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania - Reconsider Travel

There have been reports of violence in Mtwara Region in southern Tanzania. Increased activity by extremists along the southern border has led to attacks against both government and civilian targets.

Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.

• edited March 2021

Most of you have probably not seen the waiver you have to sign to do this ... amazing!

In any case I will sign another waiver. I think K&T had about five waivers anyway.