Could this be the end of air miles

How about this as a point of view!
A few frequent flyers 'dominate air travel' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56582094

Comments

• I've been collecting FF (frequent flyer) miles since the very first day of the very first program: AA, May 1, 1981. Throughout the years, at least here in the US, the politicians and "Greenies", have floated at various times taxing the recipient for either the value of miles received or the value when redeemed or even the airlines who issue them. None of these many schemes ever got passed a press release by some ambitious politician. While I can't speak to the taxing mentality in the UK, it will never happen in the US nor will the FF programs of the airlines go away in any foreseeable future. The airlines make a small fortune selling them to credit card issuers, rental car companies and hotels as the well as the "golden handcuffs" they place on the most frequent fliers with elite status.

Having said this, it is true that there has been a steady decrease in the value of a mile in spite of more earning opportunities compared to the first days of only earning from BIS (butt-in-seat) flown. Also, there are more competing credit cards that offer better value (i.e cash back) than miles for your loyalty to a card.

Safe travels!

• I have to agree with inlanikai. Here are a few wacky taxes from the UK, historically speaking.

• Great research Sam!

• Never gotten anything with ff points. While I was on active duty in the 1990s during congress' Peace Dividend years the military wasn't allowed to accrue ff points nor accept any other airline benefit. Even something as silly as a reusable water bottle. There was a constant push to limit travel. Of course that mainly applied to lower ranks while flag officers and senior civilians could schedule themselves for whatever boondoggles they wanted.

• If the airlines get rid of air miles, lets see them reduce fares by 2% on a permanent basis.

Fart chance!

• Barring government intervention, airlines won't get rid of ff miles. They are actually a profit center for the airlines who sell them to credit card companies, etc. to offer as incentives. So if ff miles go away, fares will go up, not down.

• edited March 2021

I don't know how true this is but I read and article awhile back that said the airlines make more money from miles/points programs than from tickets. Start with the fact that the cost of miles programs have been added into every ticket sold, add in the amount of money credit card companies and retailers pay the airlines for miles "awarded" to customers, and the fact that many miles go unused/or are never redeemed, the airlines are making big bucks.

• Alan That is correct...think of all the offers you get from airlines/chase, citibank, etc.

• Miles or money? I have found it easier to get miles back when plans change, than money. Miles are a form of ‘money’ and I think you should get ‘miles’ when you ‘spend’ miles. When you use miles (AA) it is per leg, so you don’t end up paying ‘double’ for a one way ticket. But, you need to plan way ahead. There is very little last minute travel using miles. I can ‘non-rev’ but the luster of a free ticket wore off long ago when we found ourselves in a hotel after trying to get on flights for an entire day ... several times. You don’t ‘non-rev’ into a Tauck trip.

• Delta just extended their eCredits until 31 December 2022. Now all I need to do is convert my two sets of tickets to eCredits.