Review of this trip

August 4 2017 departure. All in all we had a wonderful time on this small group trip. Unfortunately, I packed totally incorrectly- thus the post. I had looked at the weather the week before and it was 95 every day. I packed mostly sleeveless tops and shorts. I took out my jeans and my heavier walking shoes. I never wore the shorts and I needed more jeans and long sleeve shirts. This is a sneakers, jeans and a warm jacket trip. I could have used gloves and a hat at the rodeo. No dressing up for dinners at all. It was in the low 50's in the morning and at night.
The accommodations were fine - not the usual Tauck standard- but certainly the best that the area offered. The food was more than adequate and at some places it was even delicious. The group was congenial and made for a great time!! We took an extra day at the State Game Lodge before the trip started. We booked a private tour of the Rapid City and The Badlands with Affortable Adventures in Rapid City. It was a six hour tour and well worth it. There is not much to do at Jackson Lake Lodge nor much to see in Jackson Hole downtown- cute little T-shirt and restaurant stop. A few hours was enough. I don't know what those people that took an extra day at the end did?? The sights at Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons were amazing. I highly recommend this trip.

Comments

• I've been to this area in the height of summer and it gets very cold at night despite the hot days. We even had a can of soda we left in the car trunk freeze overnight. It's not unusual for many places on the planet to have these extremes, you need to look at average highs and LOWS. I am sure Tauck shows this on their section in weather
  • Wondering if the June 12, 2021 trip will happen or be cancelled
    Anyone signed up for this week??

• anyone signed up for Legends of the American West week of June 12, 2021??

• Tauck will likely announce a new round of cancellations in a few weeks. If I were a betting man, I'd say there is a good chance most June trips will be cancelled, but hang in there. Who knows?

• I am scheduled for the Legends of the American West trip departing July 19 - I am hoping this is a go. I am less optimistic about my trip to Scotland in mid-June. I don't see anything in Europe going until the second half of the year but I would love to be wrong about this.

• Alan said:

If I were a betting man, I'd say there is a good chance most June trips will be cancelled

On the webinar today, they said they try to decide 60 days in advance. So my guess is that most June trips (except some domestic ones) have already been cancelled. I'm just waiting for the phone call at this point.

• Per the Tauck webpage all USA tours starting in June or later are a GO!

See the excerpt from the Tauck webpage below

Tour & Cruise Status by Destination

UNITED STATES

We are delighted to begin welcoming back our valued patrons on all domestic tours beginning June 2021! Prior to then, we will continue re-opening our Eastern USA tours according to the timeline noted below.

Tours re-opened in January 2021:
    Wonderland: Yellowstone in Winter
    Tours re-opened in March 2021:
    Southern Charms – Savannah, Hilton Head & Charleston
    Tours re-opened in April 2021:
    New Orleans & Mississippi River Country
    Tours starting in May 2021:
    Bluegrass and Blue Ridges: Louisville to Nashville
    In Freedom’s Footsteps: Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.

Tours starting in June 2021: ALL USA TOURS
    Please visit our Open for Travel page for up-to-date tour availability before the most desirable departure dates fill up.

• I guess Alaska is not on the list 😕

• Taking this trip August 28-Sept 06-- sorta concerned about how crowded the national parks may be- like spending hours in line waiting for entry????

• Tauck will have pre purchased your tickets. I don’t think I have ever spent any time in a line with Tauck, apart from maybe to see the Terra-cotta warriors in China

• Molly, we are also scheduled for the August 28 trip. Are you still planning to go? We are questioning it and I can see Tauck has had cancellations since availability now shows as 'limited'. Not sure the potential risks and obstacles are worth it.

• Scheduled for June 4, 2022. Looking forward to more Wrangler portraiture.

• what do you wear on the float trip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file