Easing of travel restrictions

I received an e-mail this morning from GoUS Hawaii that said that as of July 8, Hawaii will allow all travelers who are vaccinated in the United States to skip quarantine without getting a pre-travel Covid test. Travelers still have to register in advance at Hawaii's Safe Travels website and upload a copy of proof of vaccination prior to the trip and bring a physical copy of the vaccination card on the trip.

Comments

• So will a physical ‘copy’ suffice, or do you have to take the original?

• Don't know. I used the exact language of the e-mail, which says "physical copy."

• I bet that is a questionable word. Love to see if they will just accept copies. Everywhere else seems to want to see the original

• Cathy, so happy you have found a lovely cruise for your celebration!

• Here’s a new approach to travel restrictions. I’m glad my state is on the good list. I’ve been to Malta and Gozo, nice to visit

https://thepointsguy.com/news/visit-malta/

• Our ‘Treasures f the Med Isles’ trip ends in Malta. I wonder if we have any guests from red states.

• Doesn't sound likely Sealord. Even sadder,

"Nearly all covid-19 deaths in the U.S. now are people who weren't vaccinated, a demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day -- now down to fewer than 300 -- could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that "breakthrough" infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 hospitalizations. That's about 0.1%. "

• Today I received a promo from ANA (Japanese Airline) with the proviso: Suffice it to say, international travel is complicated.

Effective for flights arriving on/after midnight on Friday, June 4 (Japan time), all passengers entering and returning from certain states that have confirmed cases of mutant strain B.1.617, first found in India, are required to stay at the accommodation facility designated by the chief of the quarantine station for 3 days, and take another COVID-19 test on the 3rd day (does not include day of entry). Those who test negative may leave the facility and are required to self-quarantine at your home, hotel or another location during the remaining period of 14 days after entering Japan (and you cannot use public transportation such as trains, buses, taxis, aircraft for domestic flights).
    This requirement applies to travelers who have been present in the following states for the 14 days preceding their arrival into Japan:
    Iowa *, Idaho, Arizona, Oklahoma *, Oregon, California *, Connecticut *, Colorado, Delaware, New York *, Nevada, Nebraska *, Maine, Montana, Rhode Island *, Arkansas ⁑
    () On/after June 14 (midnight, Japan time), travelers who tested negative upon entry into Japan will no longer be required to stay at the accommodation facility for 3 days, but are still required to self-quarantine for 14 days after entering Japan.
    On/after June 24 (midnight, Japan time), travelers from Iowa, Connecticut, New York and Rhode Island will no longer be required to stay at the accommodation facility for 3 days, but are still required to self-quarantine for 14 days after entering Japan.
    (⁑)Additionally, on/after June 24 (midnight, Japan time) travelers from Arkansas are required to stay are required to stay at the accommodation facility designated by the chief of the quarantine station for 3 days, and take another COVID-19 test on the 3rd day (does not include day of entry) and still required to self-quarantine for 14 days after entering Japan.
    Tennessee
    , Florida, Minnesota, and Michigan* are also designated by the Japanese government as areas with confirmed spread of COVID-19 variants, however, effective . Travelers who have been present in these states for the 14 days preceding their arrival into Japan will also be required to quarantine at the provided facility for three days before being permitted to complete their self-quarantine period. Please click here (Japanese page) for more details.
    *On/after June 24 (midnight, Japan time), travelers who tested negative upon entry into Japan will no longer be required to stay at the accommodation facility for 3 days, but are still required to self-quarantine for 14 days after entering Japan.
    Cases where the 3-day stay at the accommodation facility would be applicable (or inapplicable):
    a)  Passenger who arrived at JFK airport (New York) via public transportation (bus, taxi, train, Uber/Lyft, etc.) from a state not listed above, then departed from JFK to Japan
      → Subject to the stay
      → Only those who arrive at JFK airport via their own car or a hired car service and depart for Japan are not subject to the stay
    b)  Passenger who arrived to San Francisco from a state not listed above, staying overnight in San Francisco departing for Japan the following day
      → Staying overnight would make San Francisco the origin, so the passenger is subject to the stay
    c)  Passenger with connecting flights (for example: Mexico City-Los Angeles-Narita)
      → Los Angeles would be considered as entry into the U.S., but because it is considered a connecting flight, the passenger is not subject to the stay

• I just scheduled our second covid PCR test for our canceled and rescheduled trip to the Caribbean with Windstar. The first test was pretty simple. It was a drive thru, and we got the results in thirteen hours. We will get tested again before boarding the ship, and again before departure for our return to the U.S. UCSF does not seem to have a problem giving us multiple tests. There is a significant charge for the departure test on the ship, but no charge for the others.

• Sea lord, I’m in red state, my wife and I are fully vaccinated, thanks for generalizing people.

• Thanks for the points guy website and list. Ohio is now amber which is nice, but since our tours got nixed/mixed we can't get to Malta this year. Sigh.

• I received my pre-tour information about my late August trip to Hawaii today. The requirements for entry to Hawaii were NOT up to date. They said that all travelers other than those vaccinated in the state of Hawaii must have proof of a negative NAAT Covid test taken within 72 hours of travel. Hawaii changed its requirements for people vaccinated in any US state on July 8. Those people no longer need to take a test; just upload their CDC vaccination card and bring the actual card to Hawaii (in addition to filling out a form within 24 hours of travel). Anyone heading to Hawaii should check Hawaii's website for updated requirements. They could change. I was very disappointed to see that Tauck had not kept up with the requirements.

• ****was your pre tour info via email? If it was, that’s extremely disappointing

• The info was via e-mail. It was sent over the weekend from Tauck to my TA, and she forwarded it to me today.

• Dreadful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file