So excited for October!

Like most of us, I've been stuck home for a year and a half with two scheduled trips cancelled. I'm really looking forward to Machu Picchu and The Galapagos Islands in October. I'll be traveling solo so I'm hoping some kind souls will include me in dinner plans, etc. This is probably going to sound ridiculous, but I am a Diet Coke fiend and was wondering if Diet Coke is available on the Isabella II as well as at large in Peru and Ecuador. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• DrVon… Do not worry about being a solo traveler. We have always invited a solo traveler to dine with us or breakfast, etc…. More often then not you will not be the only solo traveler. They team up and their table seems to have the most fun. As for Diet Coke…. Assuming on board probably. Not as common in Latin America as it is in the USA. In Peru try Coca tea instead. Also helps with adjusting to the altitude in the high Andes. It will be a fabulous trip…

• Thanks Trixie! I know I'm weird when it comes to Diet Coke, but I don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol so it's been my beverage of choice for years! It won't kill me to do without, but it would sure be nice! I've heard about the importance of drinking the altitude tea though, so I will take your advice and appreciate the tip!

• October is almost here…. 🧳🧳

• Re Diet Coke, a Dr should know better :)
    While you're there, try Inca Kola (no joke).

• edited July 2021

All the larger hotels in Peru and possibly the Isabela II should have Diet Coke.

However, despite the fact that Coca Cola purchased 50% of the company in 1999 and is marketing Coke branded soft drinks in Peru (and Ecuador), the most popular soft drink in Peru is reportedly still Inca Kola. As of 1999 Inca Kola and Inca Kola Diet accounted for 30 percent of soft drink sales in Peru, and Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Light 28 percent. Supposedly, you can buy (the golden colored) Inca Kola in stores in 32 States (Walmart, Publix, Inca Kola USA in Clifton, NJ, etc.) and online (Amazon), so you might give it a try in case you need to resort to it in a pinch while on tour. It has a different taste, but who knows, you may like it. Diet Coke contains 42 mg of caffeine per 12 ounce can, while Diet Inca Kola has 38 mg. :D

• edited July 2021

DrVon - You need to consider what beverage goes best with guinea pig, a Peruvian delicacy. I think the brown ones will probably go best with Diet Coke.

• Nothing like ol' farm fresh fried chicken guinea pig. Personally, I like mine barbecued on a stick, teriyaki style. I think I'll take the big tan one next to the white one and the brown and white one, in the foreground, on the right.

• I tried guinea pig and didn't like it. reminded me of dark meat chicken, but greasier, which I don't like.

• We were in Peru in 2017 and Coke Zero was available but not Diet Coke. This was also true in Europe in 2019…Coke Zero has taken over the market abroad…I hope that has changed for your sake!

• DrVon, we will be on the Isabella II in October also ………

• It is probably called Coca Cola Light in Ecuador … or Coke Zero. I sometimes drink Captain Morgan and diet coke (they call it a virgin Pirate) but I don’t remember what they had on the Xpedition on my three trips to the Galapagos.

• Lindylou - Great! Maybe we're on the same trip!

• Sealord, perhaps you don't remember if it was Coca Cola Light or Coke Zero because there was too much Captain Morgan! lol

• That’s possible. All beverages were free on the Xpedition. But, I don’t like drinking sugar with my sugar, so I go with whatever … I don’t really care what they call it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file