Egyptian electric plug adapter type?

I am searching for the correct adapter for Egypt and I see either type C or type F. I have a bunch of type C but I don't have that F one. Has anyone had experience with what type of adapter to bring?

Comments

• Hi JeanE....I am on the Jordan-Egypt tour. I will use the 3-prong adapter (left) in Jordan and the 2-prong adapter (right) for Egypt. The countries are listed on the outside of the adapter. I have 2 sets of each.

• This useful reference for world travelers lets you specify the country you are going to and then lists the type(s) used there:
    https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/

• edited November 2021

Many forum regulars take small, multi-receptacle travel size power strips with short cords. In the past many of the power strips just had 3 or 4 120V outlets. Now, many folks are getting the new travel strips that also have multiple 5 volt USB-A and USB-C ports so you can charge cell phones, tablets, cameras, etc. without a power module. If you do that you can reduce the number of plug adapters and power modules you need- you just need one adapter for the power strip plug. There are tons and tons of them on Amazon, many under $20.

The reason many foreign rooms have two different receptacle configuration- one is for low current devices like phone and tablet charges, etc. the other is for devices that require higher current like floor polishers, steam irons, pants presses, etc. It is a good idea to take an adapter for each- you never know where in the room the outlets might be located.

This example has 4 120V receptacles and 4 5V USB-A power ports:

This one has 6 120V receptacles and 3 5V USB-A power ports:

This one has 3 120V receptacles and 4 USB-A. It comes with a variety of adapters.

• AlanS: those are useful, but for international travel like Egypt, you MUST get one certified to handle 110-240V. The first one and thrid ones you show should be fine (the first because it has international sockets and the second because of the plug adapters included). The middle one may not be since there is about it that appears different from a standard US multi-socket adapter. The portion which is often the limiter is whether the circuitry handles the 240V conversion to the 5V USB ports. In addition, for the issue raised by the OP, the first and second units still require the correct plug to attached the power strip to the outlet. (in Egypt). Just be sure to read the fine print when ordering (and, again when you get it...sometimes the on-line descriptions aren't accurate.

• We have the first one pictured above. We have used it in hotels here and it charges multiple electronics pretty fast. We intend to take it to Israel and Jordan. It’s lighter than our previous one snd we like the bright color so we are less likely to leave it behind. The longer cord which winds around it could be useful if an outlet is in an awkward place.
    As time goes by, we are finding more outlets in hotels than in the past. Where we are now has so many outlets, we don’t even need ours.

• What AlanS calls a 120V outlet is actually specified as a NEMA 5-15. It is the standard USA outlet. Just to be clear, if you plug it into a 240V outlet with an adapter, each outlet will then supply 240V, not 120V.

As Portolan says, make sure what you bring overseas is rated for 240V and not just 120V.

• edited November 2021

Portolan
    7:17AM
    . . . AlanS: those are useful, but for international travel like Egypt, you MUST get one certified to handle 110-240V.

BKMD
    9:04AM
    What AlanS calls a 120V outlet is actually specified as a NEMA 5-15. It is the standard USA outlet. Just to be clear, if you plug it into a >240V outlet with an adapter, each outlet will then supply 240V, not 120V.
    As Portolan says, make sure what you bring overseas is rated for 240V and not just 120V.

To be clear, yes, most of these outlet strips (except the third one) do not have a step-down transformer or voltage regulator. If it is plugged into a 240VAC outlet, every outlet on the strip becomes a source of 240VAC. However the USB ports, just like most power modules for electronic devices will work with either 120VAC/240VAC and still produce 5 VDC output. Also, what is most important is the amperage or wattage rating, not the voltage rating for most of your small electronic devices. If plugged into a 240VAC outlet, do not attempt to plug a US (120VAC only) iron, hair dryer or curling iron into any one of these units.

The rating of the UPWADE strip, first one above, is:

Rated Voltage: AC100-240V/50-60Hz
    Rated Current: 3A Max 10A
    USB Charger Output: 5V==1A4 / 5V==2.1A2 (Max 4.2A)

The rating of the Anker, the second unit above, is the same as the first.

The Bestek, the third unit, has an internal voltage converter- Input: 110VAC - 240VAC Output: 120VAC and 4 USB-A 5VDC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file