walking sticks on Isabella ll

Does anyone know if walking sticks are provided on the Isabella ll? I thought I read that somewhere. Our group is wondering since we know someone who fell at the beginning of the trip and missed everything. We can bring ours but would rather not if they are available.

Comments

• yes they are, but as I recall they tend to be on the stout side. If you bring your own it will likely be lighter. What an awful thing to happen to your friend.

• edited November 2021

The walking sticks on the Isabela II are stout- approx 1" to 1-1/2" diameter X 4 ft+ long bamboo poles. If you take your own, make sure it has a rubber tip for the Galapagos (and Machu Picchu if on the combined tour).

Also, make sure you know how to use a pole. There have been many posts in the past about people not being careful and allowing their sticks to get in the way of, and even trip, others. As you can see by surface of the lava flow in the photo below, using a walking stick here is a lot different than using a walking stick on a gentle forest trail.

The Taucktourian at the far left is using one of the bamboo walking sticks. Compare it with the poles that the other two people are using.

• edited November 2021

I want to second what Alan says about sticks. I’ve almost been tripped up by people using sticks without care more than once and literally just missed being poked in the eye by someone pointing with a stick in their hand. If you want to take a walking stick, I think you should practice before you go.
    The man on the left is not using his walking stick properly, it should not be used by holding it on the very top as he is doing, it should be held lower down with a firm grip like the person third from the left. There were people wearing flip flops on this surface on our first tour. They ignored the advice of the TD to wear something more appropriate.
    If I can recall correctly, we walked on the island with the lava you can see the first time we went to Galapagos with Tauck, but the second time we did not go there. The Isabella ll does two different routes these days, one is six days, one is seven as far as I can recall. So our two trips were only the same on one day.
    Where the tour ships can go is carefully regulated, so there are not too many people on the islands at once. Time allowed on each island has to be adhered to.
    We didn’t use sticks when we were in Galápagos. As our physical health is right now, I would not say we needed them if we were to go on this trip right now.
    We bought fancy walking sticks for our gorilla trek. Cute sticks with carved gorillas on the top were provided, so I elected to use one of those and was persona non grata with my hubby because the ones we bought were expensive. He used his.

• Thanks everyone for the great information. I'll pass it along to our group and they can decide.

• British
    The man on the left is not using his walking stick properly, it should not be used by holding it on the very top as he is doing, it should be held lower down with a firm grip like the person third from the left.

This is correct. A walking stick, like a ski pole, should be sized/held so your elbow joint makes a 90 degree angle.

• We are planning to take the walking sticks we bought in REI for our Antarctica trip a few years ago.They are very light to pack.Agree with the proper holding at 90 degree angle of the elbow while holding.SE travel:Are you on Dec2 trip by any chance?

• We intend to take walking sticks to Antarctica. But, they are a bit like guns … unless you plan on stabbing someone, keep them pointed at the ground. (;-)

• Yes the folded walking sticks can be mistaken for guns;We packed it in booked luggage last time;we will do the same for our upcoming trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file