International cell phone package

We are traveling to Madrid and Portugal with 7 days on the Douro River on Tauck’s riverboat. Wondering what’s the best international phone plan to purchase. We have AT&T and they are not very helpful or informative when calling. Decided to go with the International Day Pass. I think if we use the hotel or cruise wifi, we won’t be charged.. then turn off ‘data roaming ‘ until we use the day pass. Sorry I sound like an idiot.. haven’t traveled for a while.. anyone have any comments? Thank you!! -

Comments

• Thank you so much for your comment!!

• I have Verizon and have never purchased an international plan. My phone (Samsung) offers wifi calling, so when I'm in the hotel, I can text and call as if I'm in the US. For me, that's sufficient. I'm one who doesn't have the need to have constant cell phone access/coverage

• ltraveler,

The Douro River cruise was my favorite river cruise and second favorite tour of all time. I will be happy to answer any questions about this tour. By the way, your question was a pertinent one and you certainly did not sound like an "idiot." Safe travels!

• I forgot to mention that reception/connectivity can be quite poor while on the river.

• We use T-Mobile and don't need a separate plan in Europe. Free data and text. Calls 25 cents a minute. Data can be a bit slow (2g) but I understand you can pay for a short term boost for a trip.

• I have Verizon's $10/day international plan. If I keep the phone on airplane mode and only use wifi in the hotels, there's no charge. However, I usually wind up using it most days. I consider it just part of the overall cost of the trip.

• We are on AT&T so a couple of thoughts about earlier recommendations:

1. The AT&T International Day Pass (after you've enabled it) will announce its availability in the country you are visiting with a free text message reminding you of the details. That doesn't start a billed day which only occurs when you actually use it. In our recent experience on a Caribbean cruise, it also appears that an incoming call, if not answered, doesn't start a paid day. I always reject any calls I don't recognize immediately. So, while I had it enabled for multiple port calls ashore which provides piece of mind, there were no charges. Since we didn't end up using it (and haven't needed to for a long time, I also seem to remember getting a text message I did use it announcing that it was in effect for the next 24 hours (not calendar day). Of course, once you've started a paid day, you can make extensive use of it for 24 hours.

2. And, be sure to enable WiFi calling. There is no charge for enabling this or using it (other than WiFi costs if not free as these days is likely). On my AT&T iPhone it was just a setting under Cellular. Then, whenever you are on a WiFi network, it'll say "AT&T WiFi" (not to be confused with the WiFi bar icon). Any call made will use the stronger link which if you have roaming off and are off the AT&T network will be WiFi. In fact, I leave it on at home because some parts if the museum where I volunteer have poor cell network coverage, but excellent WiFi.

• edited March 2022

Our Comcast XFINITY plan is similar. We rarely make calls when away, but when we do we use WhatsApp which is free. You have to set up the people you want to connect with. I regularly connect with several people and one group in England. It’s also good for sending quick photos and short videos.

• I used to use WhatsApp, but uninstalled it when Facebook bought it. I don't like being spied on and my info sold. (Yes, I do use google).
    Most of the time I use the Verizon messaging app, but a secure (encrypted) messaging app is Signal..

• Thank you everyone for your comments!!! appreciate it!!

• milmil
    edited March 2022

I use the ATT Day Pass , it works great- $10 (24h) once you activate . It doesn't work on planes or cruises- only while in land -in any of the 230.... countries.