Options

what time will we finish at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam on May 24?

We would like to get tickets ahead to the Van Gogh Museum but they are timed entry tickets. Could a tour guide give us an idea when we will be free that afternoon? Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Marty Tennille Hi.
    If you call Tauck, they will give you the approximate time when the last activity ends. I always call them, so I can book my xtras according to their schedule.

• Options

Marty, are you on a southbound or northbound tour as the itinerary for the day in Amsterdam is different. If southbound there is a drive to Utrecht after the Rijksmuseum and no time for other sights. If northbound the itinerary says lunch on the ship them a free afternoon. That tells me you'll be done with the Rijksmuseum before noon. You could book noon tickets at the Van Gogh then just stay in the museum area and walk over to it. If there's some extra time there are places to eat in the area. Tauck often provides shuttle buses back to the ship if people want to stay at the Rijksmuseum longer or do what you're doing. There's also city trams.

• Options

We had purchased tickets to visit the Van Gough Museum after the Rijksmuseum. The tour guide at the museum, who was excellent, took a little longer than expected and we did not make it to the Van Gough museum at our allotted time.
    We were disappointed so maybe next time we visit Amsterdam we will make it a point to visit.

• Options

Amsterdam is one of those cities where if you manage to add on several days at the beginning or end of a tour, it’s easy to get around, English is spoken, lots of museums, some quite unusual, lots of places to eat and great atmosphere. Take an early fall trip for a week when it’s less crowded.
    I loved the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. There’s the palace, Rembrandt’s house. Anne Frank of course. A long list of great places to see.

• Options
    edited May 2022

The guides and tour directors don't hold you hostage. If you have other plans just tell the TD you're going off on your own.

• Options

Thanks, I will call and confirm the time and post in case anyone else is interested!

• Options
    edited May 2022

As Claudia says, you can leave a walking tour at any time, just let your TD know ahead of time. It is not our preference, but we left walking tours a few minutes early when they passed close to or ended near the place we wanted to go next and which had a hard start time.

The two that come to mind are- in Vienna we left a few minutes early as the tour passed the Spanish Riding School so we could attend the Lipizzaner morning exercise; in Florence we left the walking tour at the final destination before the guide had finished, to walk to a nearby piazza for a Segway tour. We have also skipped meals for the same reason- most recently in Cairo.

• Options

Thanks! I did call and found out, in case anyone else is interested, that the tour at the Rijksmuseum is scheduled to end at 12:15-12:30. There will be shuttles running every 45 min - 1 hr back to the ship for those of us who want to stay there or go to the Van Gogh Museum.

• Options

Marty Tennille_ Hi. :)
    Glad to hear you got the info. and you will be able to visit the Van Gogh Museum. It is a small one but great.
    Yes, I always go to the source, I call Tauck every time when it is a schedule related question, so I can plan suitably.
    Have a great day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file