Options

What to do with a free day in Cape Town?

We plan on staying an extra day in Cape Town at the end of our B, Z & SA tour in September 2022. I know Tauck will give us a good overview of the city, but where else have Taucksters gone in Cape Town with free time? I am thinking of a trip to Robben Island since Tauck doesn't go there any more. For those who have gone, which were the good tour operators to Robben Island that you would recommend? Any other recommendations for an enriching day would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Options

When we went to Robben Island it was part of the Elegant South Africa tour and we loved it. I hear you have to book well in advance and it often gets cancelled because of the rough seas. You will be going in the middle of winter there, so I don’t know whether that means rougher weather.
    I suggest googling what to see and do In CapeTown for ideas and have a Plan B.

• Options

When we went on the South Africa trip, we used the hop on hop off bus on our free day before the tour commenced. At that time, it had two routes. You can check the website if it interests you.

• Options

There are lovely botanical gardens and wineries (some with award winning restaurants) nearby.

• Options

I was in CAPETOWN independently after K&T in August 2019. We pre-bought tickets for Robben Island. Tickets at that time were approx $25, non- refundable. In case of cancellation, you can reschedule (prob not an option for you). I was a very worthwhile excursion The tour including ferry ride take approx 3.5 hours. I would highly recommend.

• Options

Thank you all for your input. Most Helpful. NancyCohen by any chance do you remember the tour group that operated to Robben Island? I see a few. If you recommend one, I would be interested in knowing who it is.

Thanks

Robert

• Options

In Sept 2017 we were on the last Tauck trip to Robben Island. There were severe safety issues with the ship that took us over and back. A few days later the passengers had to be rescued from the ship. That may be quite different now. It is a worthwhile trip if it can be done safely. We also booked a private all day trip to the winelands which we thoroughly enjoyed. Elegant South Africa was one of our favorite Tauck trips. Enjoy.

• Options

Yes, when we enquired why Robben Island was taken off the tour after we went, it was safety and security issues, the company was wanting passport information of everyone in advance and Tauck was not happy about that.

• Options

Hi Rob, I agree with the others who think Robben Island is a must. I think I bought my tickets through Viator. Kirstenbisch Botannical Garden is lovely. I also enjoyed the couple of hours I spent at the Zeitz Museum with its’ fabulous collection of contemporary African art. Just wandering the Victoria and Albert Waterfront and taking a ride on the Cape Wheel is wonderful fun. The Cape Grace is a gorgeous hotel on the waterfront that Tauck uses for their Elegant Adventure tour. It has a nice outdoor restaurant with views of Table Mountain and harbor seals. The aquarium looked interesting, but I ran out of time. The only time I ventured out of the waterfront district on my own was when the Cape Grace car service drove me to Long Street where I did some shopping at Tribal Trends. I think it is the best shop in Cape Town. I am taking the B, Z, and SA tour which commences at the Royal Livingstone September 10, 2022. If that is your tour then I will chew your ear off some more about one of my favorite cities in the world. Trip anticipation is the best!

• Options

Ladybombay, sorry I will miss the "chewing". We are one week in front of you starting on the 3rd.

• Options

Rwils15
    We bought our tickets direct thru robben-island.org.za
    Once you arrive on Robben Island, all tours are conducted by Robben Island personnel. Most tours have the opportunity to talk with a former inmate who had interesting stories to tell. Pas I reviewed the website, I remembered that the pricing depended upon the time of your ferry. Since we only had one day available, we decided to take the first ferry of the day so if that one was cancelled, we had the option to try to ferries later in the day.
    BTW: I am very susceptible to motion sickness (after many years, I still have bad memories of the Staten Island ferry). However I don’t think the ferry to Robben Island was an issue.

Pm me if you have further questions. We stayed in CAPETOWN for a week and traveled independently. CAPETOWN is a great city!!

• Options

Ladybombay
    Oh yes, Tribal Trends!! Fantastic shop with superb prices. I was in CAPETOWN for a week after K&T. We stayed at the Taj Hotel. 2 blocks from Tribal Trends (we became daily visitors). Also there is a fantastic market (crafts, art, etc) around the corner from the Taj - it was called The Green Market.

• Options

rwilso15 Hi.
    I'm on the same trip as LadyB. 95 more days! too long!