Question about FFP2 masks in Germany

Is it possible to ask too many questions? I apologize if I'm becoming a bit of a pest. ( I did try to search old forum threads for this answer, but didn't find what I was looking for.)

My family is going on the Bridges Eastbound Blue Danube tour, ending with a few extra days in Munich - departure on June 29. I read somewhere that in Germany we will be required to wear a mask in public areas, public transportation and I think possibly on our flight out of Munich. We have no problem with that, but I'm reading we need to be wearing a FF2 masks. The masks we have are not FFP2 or N95. I was looking at purchasing FFP2 masks on Amazon, but wasn't sure if they really are what they are purported to be? They seemed surprisingly more affordable than purchasing from Target, for example. And I'm not sure if any of the German masking rules changed as some Covid restrictions were changed as of June 11. Sigh.

Anyway if any knows about this issue, I appreciate the info. Thanks for your patience with my numerous queries!

Comments

• From the U.S. Embassy Germany:

Is public transportation operating? Yes
    Medical grade masks (surgical masks, or masks meeting the N95, KN95, or FFP-2 standards) are required on all public transportation. No passengers may sit in the front seat of taxis.

• The ffp2 mask is Europe’s version on a kn95. . If a surgical mask is allowed I’d use that. Italy is lifting their indoor masking rule on June 15th- maybe Germany will too!🤞🏻Good luck!

• franlovestravel
    The ffp2 mask is Europe’s version on a kn95.

It's the European version of the N95.
    The KN96 is the Chinese Knockoff (is that where they got the K, for knockoff?) of the N95, with no standards or quality control.
    Good rule of thumb - if it has ear loops instead of going over your head, it's garbage.

• BKMD
    8:06AM
    It's the European version of the N95.
    The KN96 is the Chinese Knockoff (is that where they got the K, for knockoff?) of the N95, with no standards or quality control. Good rule of thumb - if it has ear loops instead of going over your head, it's garbage.

I wouldn’t go that far. It is probably made in the same factory as many certified N95 masks, and the bottom line is it is usually cheaper, looks nicer 😀, and was accepted by every place we went on two international tours this year that required we wear masks (but no one, anywhere, ever checked!)

• AlanS

I've been wearing N95s since the beginning of Covid. The 3Ms are made in the USA. I had one other brand, at one point, made in TX. Bottom line, the KN95s aren't tested or certified.

Using a very limited sample size of 1, you got Covid and I didn't. Mask-related? :)

• edited June 2022

No, my wife didn’t get it and I didn’t get it during the tour. And as far as the 3M N95 goes- it was by far the most uncomfortable (and expensive) mask I tried- left all those home. We both used the same brand of KN95 masks then and two months later on Greece trip. We were in close contact with two friends who spent an additional and involuntary 😲 extra week in Greece, but we were fine.

Oh, and most, if not all hospitality and service folks in Greece, Turkey, Jordan, and Egypt only wore KN95 mask- ya choose your poison and accept the consequences 😷

• I can’t speak for the rest of Europe, but in Italy last month the standard was the FFP2 mask. These were sold in all the pharmacies for about 75¢. We found these to be a bit easier to breathe through compared to the N95 masks we had. We bought several extras to bring home with us. These all had the ear loops.

• John S, thank you! I ordered some today so at least we have something. From some of what I read it was important to have FFP2 written on the mask. These look good and if I ones I receive aren't good, it's nice I know I can buy them in Europe for a reasonable price!

• I went and read the specifications for the N95 mask, and if I remember correctly, it requires that the straps go over the head and not around the ears, The KN95 straps go over your ears.

I have to agree with the earlier poster who said that the N95 masks are very uncomfortable.

• Yes Mike, exactly. My hubby wears the N95 and I KN95, mostly because the straps slip down over my shiny hair.

• edited June 2022

I have been using N95 masks made by 3M since the summer of 2020. They provide an almost leak proof fit. I like that the fasteners go around the back of the head but then my hair is short if any, Ha ha ha.

For my upcoming trip I'll take a good supply to last me 2 weeks regardless of what regulations there are.