Options

Electrical Outlet Number/Locations on Newly Renovated Riverboats

We will be on the MS Savor in just a few weeks. I know there are 110v and 220v outlets in the rooms, but what I don't know is their approximate locations and number of outlets (specifically Cat 7 room). I can see some of the outlets in the main part of the room by checking out the 3D view on Scylla's website. My wife (who is a stickler for her pampering products), really, really wants to bring her own hairdryer. That said, are there even any outlets in the bathrooms. I've been looking at getting a converter for her (has to be high wattage too), but she would like to know if that is necessary or if there is a 110v outlet in the bathroom?

For the the electronics (phones), I know they are dual voltage so I will just have an adaptor if I need to use the 220v outlet or I decide to bring a dual voltage multi-USB charging station as there will be 4 of us in the room. I know there are few USB outlets in the room - but only 2 I think.

Are there any folks that have been on the newly renovated riverboats able to comment on the outlets, locations and approximate number? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

Unless you travel with multiple electronics and personal hygiene items (not needed at all), the category seven (7) cabins have more than adequate outlets, including in the bath areas. Again, it depends on what you intend to bring.

• Options

If you go to the Tauck website you can find details about the MS Savor cabins and the locations of the outlets.

• Options

kfnknfzk
    Unless you travel with multiple electronics and personal hygiene items (not needed at all), the category seven (7) cabins have more than adequate outlets, including in the bath areas. Again, it depends on what you intend to bring.

Thanks kfnknfzk. Given it's Bridges tour, the room will be me (6'4"), the wife (5'6"), teenage daughter (5'8") and pre-teen son (5') ...so I suspect it will still be a bit cramped for space and outlets. ;) There will be at least 4 personal phones and likely some wireless headphones (3) to charge from time to time. And I know Tauck provides a hairdryer ... but she just again said she would like to bring her own. Sigh... What's that phrase again... Happy Wife, Happy Life. Good to know there are outlets in the bathroom though. I will try to see if I can find specs on the 110 vs. 220 v for that location specifically.

BSP51
    If you go to the Tauck website you can find details about the MS Savor cabins and the locations of the outlets.

I've tried that. But I've come up empty handed a few times. Do you have a link?

• Options
    edited June 2022

You can get chargers that will simultaneously charge a number of electronic devices and only take one outlet. Here's one that will do four.

See if you can get your wife to purchase a 220 volt hairdryer. Then you won't have to carry a heavy converter. Even if she only uses it on trips, it will be better to travel with.

• Options

MikeHenderson
    You can get chargers that will simultaneously charge a number of electronic devices and only take one outlet. Here's one that will do four.

See if you can get your wife to purchase a 220 volt hairdryer. Then you won't have to carry a heavy converter. Even if she only uses it on trips, it will be better to travel with.

I'll see about the hairdryer but I suspect it's just beating a dead horse at this point. ;)

I have an Anker 120-220 6 USB Hub in my Home Theater for all the gaming controllers we have. It's also helpful when trying to charge 8 pairs of 3D glasses. :D But I found this high wattage converter that has good reviews and has 4 USB outlets too!

• Options
    edited June 2022

Have you ever heard of a dual voltage hairdryer! You can find them anywhere. Same with the multi outlet chargers discussed here on the forum for years.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Don't forget to check the side of the TV for a USB port, both on the boats and in the hotels. Check the inside of the medicine cabinet for an additional outlet.

• Options

British
    Have you ever heard of a dual voltage hairdryer! You can find them anywhere. Same with the multi outlet chargers discussed here on the forum for years.

Of course I have! But that's like asking her to leave her most favorite pair of shoes at home. It's just not going to happen. Haha.

But I'll kindly relay the message. :wink:

• Options
    edited June 2022

Dogdoctor. Just go to Tauck.com, river cruises, our fleet. By the way - I believe Tauck does not want guests to use their own hair dryer on the river boat for safety reasons.

• Options

You just need an adapter! I recently just came off the MS Savor. The hairdryers are really really really good and I have very difficult hair. It was not an issue. Why bring a hairdryer if you don’t need to. You really should have had two adjoining rooms then you would have had two bathrooms. Just a thought for next time.

• Options

@ BSP51 - it looks like the tauck site is having some errors tonight when trying to view the ships. I will have to try again another time.

@ OurTravels34 - I'll pass on the info about the hair dryer. As for the room selection. 1. minors have to be with an adult. 2. my in-laws are paying for this family affair. We got put into the Cat 7 because it can accommodate 4 people. My in-laws and brother-in-law are each in Cat 6 rooms. I didn't really get a choice - but I'm not really complaining!

• Options

We traveled on the Savor from Amsterdam to Budapest last month in a cat 7 cabin. The walk in closet includes a full length mirror and outlet. Handy for hair drying when the bathroom is occupied. There were outlets on either side of the bed, along the counter next to the sofa, and in the bathroom. You will have no problem charging your devices.

• Options

Dog doc, have a wonderful time. I tend to overthink prepping for a trip and then ask myself why I bother. It’s so wonderful that your in laws are gifting a wonderful and memorable family affair trip for all of you. You’ll all have a grand time. I mentioned that we always offer our daughter and now almost husband to join us; and they do only because they know we treat them and we all have a spectacular time.

• Options
    edited June 2022

It definitely will be tight with four people in one cabin but with the large walk-in closet and discipline, everything will have its place. Enjoy and please post a review.

• Options

I have about a 7” makeup mirror that I use and suction it to one of large windows in the stateroom to apply my makeup. It freed up the bathroom for my hubby who takes longer than I do. The window technique has better lighting than the bathroom in my opinion, especially because there are 4 of you.

• Options

We have been on Tauck river cruises where we were specifically told not to use American heated hair appliances even with converters. She may be hauling this in her luggage only to be told she can't use it.

• Options

Jersey Girl and Guy
    We traveled on the Savor from Amsterdam to Budapest last month in a cat 7 cabin. The walk in closet includes a full length mirror and outlet. Handy for hair drying when the bathroom is occupied. There were outlets on either side of the bed, along the counter next to the sofa, and in the bathroom. You will have no problem charging your devices.

Do you happen to recall if there is a 110v in either the closet or bathroom? I am amazed that there are so many locations though!

OurTravels34
    Dog doc, have a wonderful time. I tend to overthink prepping for a trip and then ask myself why I bother. It’s so wonderful that your in laws are gifting a wonderful and memorable family affair trip for all of you. You’ll all have a grand time. I mentioned that we always offer our daughter and now almost husband to join us; and they do only because they know we treat them and we all have a spectacular time.

Yes. My in-laws reached a point in their frugal lifestyle that they wish they had spent some money and travelled sooner as time/age/ability to travel is running out on them. So they have made a point of making it a family affair for years. approx every 2-4 years until COVID. First it was Italy (daughter was only 6 months old and we were living in California). Second it was Turkey/Greece - but sadly we could not go as my wife was 8 months pregnant with our son. All the doctors said it was a bad, bad idea. Then there was a bit of break, but they jumped back in in 2018 with Costa Rica (highly recommended) and it was supposed to be this Tauck Tour in 2020 and we all know how that turned out. I've heard rumor from the family due to her fathers declining ability to travel, that they may start to push hard for yearly trips until they can't do it anymore. I always feel guilty for going - they pay such a huge fare for us to go - but we pay for airfare, insurance and incidentals. They just love traveling together as one large family. I can't wait for this trip to go!

kfnknfzk
    It definitely will be tight with four people in one cabin but with the large walk-in closet and discipline, everything will have its place. Enjoy and please post a review.

Will most definitely post a review!

OurTravels34
    I have about a 7” makeup mirror that I use and suction it to one of large windows in the stateroom to apply my makeup. It freed up the bathroom for my hubby who takes longer than I do. The window technique has better lighting than the bathroom in my opinion, especially because there are 4 of you.

Window lighting! Great Idea!!

• Options

It doesn’t matter who pays and I understand where you’re coming from. Travel is such an educational experience. I just wish I can teleport myself instead of flying.

• Options

I am a female in need of a curling iron when I travel. I have bought these in the country at local pharmacies after arrival. This eliminates converters. I just keep them until I go back for another visit. I have used these on the tauck river cruises. I got permission after I boarded.

• Options

There is a 110v outlet on one side of the bed. The one in the closet is not 110. There may be a 110 outlet in the bathroom, but I am not sure about that. Your family will have a wonderful time, the boat is lovely. We only splurged and upgraded to Cat 7 because we had to postpone the trip twice due to Covid. A shipboard credit of $200 was given to Cat 7 passengers. I believe the amount of the credit is based on the length of the trip. Tauck can tell you what the amount will be. We packed light and used most of the credit on laundry service. There really wasn't much else to purchase on the boat.

• Options

I have been on several Tauck riverboats. I always travel with an extension cord which is a great addition to what you are planning on taking.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Mike Henderson

This may work for many things but as I call it "iCrap" is very finicky and if it's not made by Apple often you'll get a "This accessory is not supported" message.

I do not bring a voltage changer since almost everything now is dual voltage, but I have an "Universal adapter" which works all over the world. You can probably find one in a Dollar store for a few bucks, then just plug one of those cheap cube taps into it or a short 6' extension cord and instantly have 3 extra outlets.

• Options

May I ask a question here that I think is somewhat adjacent to dogdoctor’s original post question. We will be on Savor in less than a week! We will also be in a category 7 room. Does Savor have an iron & ironing board available in the closet?

• Options

I found my answer on the Tauck website. Yes, we will have an ironing board and an iron provided. Thanks!

• Options

Those in other cabins can ask to borrow one if needed.

• Options

Because of the large walk in closet there is no need to remove the ironing board. You can iron right in the closet if you so desire. I normally do light touch-ups, if needed, the first afternoon so I don't have to do chores throughout the sailing. Have a great trip, JennyMiller!

• Options

Enjoy your trip! We were in the ms Savor back in April in Cat6 cabin. If you unpack when you arrive and maybe use the steam from the shower mid-trip if something wrinkled you'll be good. We spent most of our awake time in the Panoramic lounge or on the top deck so you guys shouldn't be tripping over yourselves too badly in one room. I think it was helpful to try to put things (mostly) away each day so room isn't chaotic. I usually take trips where I'm on-the-move and live out of my suitcase so it was a nice, but different style to unpack once and be done. Depending on where your trip is going, I'd gladly trade the weight of bringing a hairdryer for that same weight/space in the suitcase for chocolate to bring home.

• Options

RGM2
    2:27PM edited 2:33PM
    This [multi-chargers] may work for many things but as I call it "iCrap" is very finicky and if it's not made by Apple often you'll get a "This accessory is not supported" message.

If you see it at all it applies to file and data transfer, etc. only, not charging! I never met an IOS device that wouldn't take a charge from any 5V USB charger as long as the plug is physically compatible.

• Options
    edited June 2022

AlanS is absolutely correct. You can charge an iPhone from any USB-A or USB-C outlet, including those that are built into the electrical outlets in some hotels. The iPhone will take power from any USB outlet without any complaints.

I expect the Android phone will do likewise.

• Options

My Samsung/Android will but I usually bring my fast charge plug and an adapter. I have used the usb outlets for my kindle or fitbit.