Options

How much Currency to bring for Purchases

Just curious if we should have some local currency on hand before traveling for any minor purchases? If so, suggested amounts? Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Options

estrauss: When I arrived in Jordan I stopped by the ATM in the airport and exchanged $100 USD. I used most of it to buy souvenirs at the gift shop at Mt. Nebo and the rest I used to tip the attendants at the Dead Sea, the golf cart drivers, etc. Most places accepted credit cards and of course US cash--they preferred cash.

I exchanged $80UDS money in Egypt once we arrived at the Old Cataract Hotel. Most of the money was for the camera fees $65USD and the rest for tips.

The TD provided everyone with the "pee fee"--5 Egyptian pounds that was to be given to restroom attendants. Initially she provided everyone $25 (Egyptian pounds) which equated to less than $2 USD. More was provided as needed. Be aware, some attendants will ask you for $1 USD. They are happy as punch when you give them the $5 Egyptian pound.. The fee is for them to hand you tissue paper to dry your hands. It's a mess, but I found that most restrooms used tissue paper to dry the hands.

• Options
    edited July 2022

In March we did not get any JOD. Used credit when needed, no tipping opportunities. Purchases in Petra (camel photo and ? at Hosni's shop) were paid for with credit card. We got some EGP (approx $100 worth) because we had planned extras. We spent some on a taxi, admission and guide at site of unfinished obelisk in Aswan (used the ATM at the gate house at the Old Cataract Hotel), tips for the tomb and pyramid custodians at Meidom, Dahshur, and Saqqara during independent excursions, etc. but only spent a little over $50 worth. I think we added what was left to the TD tip. The guide for our independent excursions wanted USD (crisp, unmarked, $100 bills) which we brought from home, just like we did with the tip for the TD. Sometime prior to our tour, Egypt eliminated all camera fees.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback! We are so used to traveling to Europe that we always have Euros on hand, but obviously that currency won't work in Jordan or Europe. But glad to hear that vendors will take US dollars if offered.

• Options

I meant to say Egypt, not Europe. Oops.

• Options
    milmil
    edited July 2022

ATM's in every hotel- we got $50 ea,- and it was enough. The hotel paid my private tour guide and added cost to my bill- so I basictly use the money at lunch during my visit in Amman and entrance ticket at the Royal Auto Museum and for snaks- thimg that I purchase I paid with CC.

• Options

What's the scoop with "camera fees" in Egypt ? What sites do they charge these fees ? How much is the fee ? Does this fee also apply to taking pictures with your cell phone ? Does Jordan also have these fees ?

• Options

cumin GJ...I think someone recently posted there is no longer a camera fee. when I took this tour in December 2021, the fee was ~$65. There was no fee for cell phones. The camera fee only applied to Egypt.

• Options

Thx Pure Luxury !

• Options
    edited July 2022

cuzin GJ
    10:22AM
    What's the scoop with "camera fees" in Egypt ? What sites do they charge these fees ? How much is the fee ? Does this fee also apply to taking pictures with your cell phone ? Does Jordan also have these fees ?

We started J&E on 17 Mar 2022. No fees are required in Jordan and by our arrival all photo fees in Egypt had been cancelled.

Be aware that many places restrict the use of flash, but some do not. We did some extra sightseeing on our own and if I wanted to use flash in a place where it is not permitted, I would ask the "custodian" (each tomb, temple, pyramid has an official minder). The custodian may allow it but be prepared to offer a "tip"- a 5 EGP note will typically suffice. Also, places that don't allow flash are those where there is a lot of color- many the Valleys of Queens and Kings (due to a mistaken believe that flash affects the color- it does not- or so other visitors are not blinded?) Most of the highly decorated tombs like Nefertari's, Seti I, etc. have good "stage" lighting suitable for all but the most demanding of photography. Look at the photos I took in Nefartari's, Tut's, Rameses III, Rameses IX, and Rameses I in my thread from last March:

https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/15494/on-the-road-again/p4

• Options

Thx for update !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file