Spainish buildings will be on the warm side

Spain announced that air-conditioning in public buildings must be set to 27 C or above (80.6 F). This is because of the Russian energy situlation (damn Putin!). So expect things to be a little warmer indoors in Spain this summer.

Comments

• Ken - In Spain, what buildings are considered public buildings? Is it just government buildings, or does it include hotels, restaurants, museums, etc.? If just government buildings then it wouldn't have much impact on tourists. If it includes the other types of buildings I mentioned then it would be quite uncomfortable.

• Includes public and large commercial buildings. Theaters, cinemas, shopping centers, airports, train stations. Does not appear to include hotels and restaurants, thankfully.

• I'm so grateful I have the schedule flexibility not to have to travel anywhere that 80 degrees is considered air conditioning. Someone tried to talk me into the Douro plus Lisbon/Madrid cruise in Jul/Aug when "look, there's lots of openings". Yep, for a reason. My heart goes out to those of you who only get vacation time in the summer.

• Ken - based on your description that could make going to museums, like the Prado, or cathedrals in most any city, a dicey situation.

I'd likely be in Claudia's camp. Travel at a different time of the year or wait until this rule went away.

• edited August 2022

I wonder if museums will be Included since art has to be kept in safe temperatures.

• If you are unlucky enough to be traveling in southern Spain in the summer, stepping into a building that is 27 degrees will feel blessed cool.

• British - I've been to the Uffizi in August. No A/C, if I'm remembering correctly. A few fans blowing hot air around. Not very comfortable. Thank goodness for gelato!

• We toured the Cluny in Paris during a June Seine cruise to see the Unicorn tapestries. That room was somewhat airconditioned but the rest wasn't. Not only hot, but a sort of funky odor.

• MCDMCD
    edited August 2022

I was struck by how warm the airports in Warsaw and Paris were yesterday. Now, thanks to Ken from Vegas, there's an explanation. I bet they've turned down the air conditioning to conserve energy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file