Belissima tour and The Last Supper

Does this tour include The Last Supper when we visit Milan?

Comments

• Only if you go during Passover.

• A wannabe standup within our midst. Rbernato, Tauck website says Subject to Availability, so I would check your e-book. See current Rhine Enchantment for a photo and info re fuzzy view. I remember being some distance away in a dark room, and that was with younger eyes. Honestly, if you don't get there, going online will provide a more detailed look.

• You can book a visit to the Last Supper easily...we loved seeing it in person!

• edited September 2022

I went to see it and was underwhelmed. You purchase a ticket for a time slot. Then they take you in the room with a lot of other people and tell you you can't take any pictures. After a certain amount of time, they usher you out.

I agree with MarketArt. You can get a better view of the picture on the Internet. There's nothing special about being in the room in person (except to say you were there).

• It wasn’t that dark in the room when we went, but it was daylight outside and SeaLord seems to show that it is dusk. There were no restrictions on photographs either. We were on the Rhine Enchantment but started in Milan and was earlier in the year when daylight is a bit longer, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. There was a Da Vinci exhibition in Milan, crumbs, senior moment, the ‘mall’ near the cathedral when we were there. They had exhibits of the machines that he made and a great mural of the Last supper. Maybe the exhibit is still around.

• Interesting...like British, we were able to take photos in 2019 with no restrictions. We had a 10 minute window and we were very impressed seeing it knowing it was the original.

• We could take pictures but no flash. It was a thrill to be able to see the actual piece of art in its intended location!

• I just went back and checked my blog. We were there on September 25, 2015 and pictures were not allowed in the viewing. Perhaps they've changed that now. After all, taking a picture without a flash does not degrade the fresco at all.

They had a picture of the fresco in the waiting area and I took a picture of that.

• We were there in 2017. I wasn’t going to argue about the use of a flash!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030777/uploads/editor/7e/ukcwyhm98gba.jpeg

• edited September 2022

MikeHenderson
    September 4
    I just went back and checked my blog. We were there on September 25, 2015 and pictures were not allowed in the viewing. Perhaps they've changed that now. After all, taking a picture without a flash does not degrade the fresco at all.
    They had a picture of the fresco in the waiting area and I took a picture of that.

Actually, taking a photo WITH flash does NOT degrade paintings or frescoes either. I suspect the original reason for the ban was based on a common misconception about flash, but now believe the restriction on the use of flash is for other reasons, mostly related to profit.

Here are two links to good articles that discuss the topic:

https://theconversation.com/why-is-taking-photographs-banned-in-many-museums-and-historic-places-66356

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/07/19/does-flash-photography-really-damage-art-the-persistence-of-a-myth

I took a photo of a photo of the Book of Kells in the gift shop at the Trinity College library. :)

• We could definitely take photos in 2019. I’ve also known that flashes don’t damage paintings. Good idea not to allow however because it spoils photos for others and the atmosphere like in that room.

• edited September 2022

I suppose places could do like they do in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. You have to purchase a "camera pass" ($16.75) and you get a wrist band to indicate that you've paid the fee. It's just a way to get more money from the tourists.

Then there was one tomb where they didn't allow photos, but once you got into the tomb, the guard would allow you to take photos for a bit of "baksheesh".

• We were there in 2019 and took plenty of fairly good photos without flash. With semi-good camera it’s fairly easy to adjust for the low light.

• MikeHenderson
    7:11AM edited 7:13AM
    I suppose places could do like they do in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. You have to purchase a "camera pass" ($16.75) and you get a wrist band to indicate that you've paid the fee. It's just a way to get more money from the tourists.

>

Then there was one tomb where they didn't allow photos, but once you got into the tomb, the guard would allow you to take photos for a bit of "baksheesh".

Mike, I'm not sure when the photo tickets went away, but when we were there in March '22, there were no photo tickets. Photography was allowed everywhere, even in special places where it was previously prohibited, like Nefartari's and Tut's tombs. Flash was still not allowed. The "theatrical"(?) lighting was sufficient for most photography and allowed for fair, but decent enough, color rendition to provide viewers with an idea of the magnificence of the wall art. If you are on your own, like we were when we entered the pyramid in Meidom (which had no wall art), the custodians would allow flash if asked and even offered to take my photo. They didn't ask, but I offered baksheesh. (That is me with my headlamp.)

• Returning to the subject of this thread, we were too enthralled with viewing the masterpiece to even think of taking pictures. Sometimes the best memories are those that are seared into your brain forever.

I think the "mall" British is referring to is the Galleria, an open-air shopping area.

• edited September 2022

@AlanS - We were in Egypt in October 2018 with Uniworld. I also took a lot of pictures in the tombs with just the lighting that was there. Some examples at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2018EgyptAndTheNile-04.htm

You can also see my comments about the fees for visiting the tombs and the camera fee.

• edited September 2022

lol I think you are referring to the gorgeous 19th-C Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II with its glass dome and floor mosaics, "Italy's oldest active shopping gallery." And there is an ongoing da Vinci exhibit in Milan at the Leonardo3 Museum, located next to the entrance to the Galleria. Great memory, British.

• edited September 2022

It was dusk when I took the outside picture of the convent, but we got there after eight pm and it was ‘dark’ when we got inside. The Tauck tour is a docent led tour that takes about an hour. He explains every facet of the fresco. But, pictures as some of those seen above were not possible. It was quite dark.

• Ha I didn’t get the Passover advice right away. Good one.

• Market Art, great to know fe the exhibit

• I did the "BellIssima" tour last September. In my "welcome packet" from the TD with a note that Tauck had been unable to get tickets for the Last Supper - she encouaged us to get tickets on our own. It turned out during the second day some tickets were available (Covid had everything messed up) and the TD took us to see this. However, the tour group was only three people and the TD so I am not sure if this would change for a larger group. We could definitely take pictures without flash.

• FYI. Last Supper is no longer part of the program starting in 2023. Reservation Agent did not know why. To see it you'll have to arrange on your own and go during open time that day.

• The Last Supper is still included in the Rhine Enchantment tour in 2023.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file