Swim suit neded?

We are heading on the “Crown Jewel” tour to Switzerland in a couple of weeks. I was looking over the packing list and it includes a swim suit. I do not see anything in the itinerary that looks like a swim suit would be needed. Anyone who has been on this trip, can you tell me if we’d need to take a swim suit with us? Thank you!

Comments

• Unless you plan on using a hotel's pool, no need for a swim suit. Tauck's packing lists are merely suggestions in order to cover all bases.

• Not unless you’re going to wear a swimsuit at 12,000 feet elevation on the Jungfrau summit!

• A swim suit certainly isn't required but was nice to have in Zermatt. The Mt Cervin Palace has a very nice indoor/outdoor pool with one section of special jets that massage different parts of the body. We headed down there the afternoon after our hike down the mountain. We had fun and felt great afterwards. I believe the Victoria Jungfrau Hotel also have a very nice pool and spa area.

In general I bring a swimsuit on these tours. It's especially nice after a long day flying or traveling to relax.

• Swim suit appears on every list for any tour. Even if there is a pool in a hotel, they often don’t open until you have left the hotel to tour for the day, then again there is no other time to swim when you get back, you have to change for dinner and put on your sports coat that Tauck also puts on the list. We swim whenever we can, I’m taking four swimsuits on our upcoming tour….that’s why I am known as the Tauck swimsuit model

• Swimsuits can be counter-intuitive for tours to certain locations in certain seasons, however . . . :D

• AlanS - Your counter-intuitive examples all were of one type swimming when there is snow on the ground.

There were a couple of pools on the Kenya and Tanzania tour where, even though it was sunny and warm outside the pools were so cold you couldn't stand to stay in the pool very long. I liken that swimming experience to the Polar Bear Plunge that some people do on January 1st in northern regions to bring in the new year.

• Cathy - We went swimming in the pools in Delhi and Agra. They’re lovely pools.

• I've only used the hot tub on a river cruise once. Rhine/Moselle in Oct. After several days touring in the cold and drizzle I wanted nothing more than to soak in hot water. Got suited and robed up, walked to Arthur's for a drink to go and up the stairs from there to the tub. Heaven.

• edited August 2022

Smiling Sam
    5:52PM
    AlanS - Your counter-intuitive examples all were of one type swimming when there is snow on the ground.
    There were a couple of pools on the Kenya and Tanzania tour where, even though it was sunny and warm outside the pools were so cold you couldn't stand to stay in the pool very long.

Yes there were- I saw someone in the pool at Amboseli, but it was too cold for me. The water temp was a bit nippy, but I got in the water at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club with some British Special Forces guys on holiday from training, and of course as I posted before, I went for a short swim in the nippy infinity pool that overlooks the watering hole at the Four Seasons in Tanzania.

I went for a quick in-and-out, in the pool at the Khwai River Lodge in Botswana.

• I was virtually the only person who used the pool on the two small ships I’ve been on, Iceland and Panama Canal, hence I was filmed for a Tauck commercial and that’s why I am the Tauck swimsuit model!

• Ships, I forgot, I braved the strong wind blowing down the Nile to do a few laps in the upper deck pool on the Philea during J&E! When I got out the stiff wind (prevailing and ship generated) and dry air made me feel frozen!!!

• We just got back from the Switzerland Crown Jewell trip yesterday. I used my swimsuit once when I went for a swim in Lake Lugano from our hotel during our free time. The lake was 77 degrees and it was delightful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file