Options

Weight limit

Are they strict about the 40 lb. Limit on,luggage? Just read about it and took out clothing I can live without. My scale reads something different every time I use it so just want to make sure I have taken out enough.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022

Simple answer no, not strict- e.g. 43 lbs shouldn't be a problem, 50 might be. Tauck doesn't weigh it like the airlines, they expect you to be a good traveler, and they set the weight limit for the sake of baggage handlers. It is possible that on-tour airlines may weigh your bags but their limit is likely higher than 40 lbs. I don't recall having our bags weighed on K&T or the B,SA,Z with the possible exception of the commercial flight from Maun to Cape Town. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

• Options

Thank you Alan. I think we are all set and ready to go! Did you enjoy this trip? I can’t imagine you wouldn’t. What has been your favorite Tauck tour?

• Options

SherriB, I think it is related to the smaller planes that are used on this trip. I know I was concerned about it when we did this tour, but I don't remember anyone having their luggage weighed. The airlines will still take your bag, but there was an additional charge. Unfortunately I don't remember the charge the TD told us for it being overweight, but it was not very much, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options

Thank you! We are looking forward to this trip!

• Options

Just returned from this trip two weeks ago. The limit is actually 44 pounds (20 kilos). Your bag gets weighed when you check in on each of the flights. We were careful not to exceed the limit. One of our fellow traveler’s bag was a couple of pounds over and she had no problem on any of the legs. The carryon bag limit is stated as 15 pounds (7 kilos), but these never got checked.

• Options

A related question: has anyone ever had or seen a checked bag being measured?

For our upcoming trip, the final document stated the 20 Kg/44 # weight limit (no problem), but also a total length + width + height limit. Our newly bought bags are a couple of inches over. I understand this can be critical for carry-ons since the bin and under-seat storage areas have limiting dimensions. But I've always thought this limitation for checked bags was very strange since it isn't the cubage. It suggests that the airline sees no difference in handling an item 58" long x 1" x 1" and another item 20" x 20" x 20" (also 60" by their formula).

• Options

I've never seen a checked bag measured. The closest thing to measuring a bag that I've seen is when then have those containers by the gate that your carry on bag has to be able to fit within.

They are probably most concerned about weight (that's why they weigh them), but have size (length, width, depth) restrictions to prevent someone from showing up with something like a pole vault pole, that would be well under the weight requirement but good luck getting that down a conveyor belt. They make special accommodations for some oversized items like golf clubs.

• Options

2 Follow up questions, please: I’m booked with friends on the October 26 tour, and wondering due to the above comments: how small are the planes used on this trip (KHChgo mentions that). We’re a Small Group as opposed to Classic, and in looking at the accommodations info, I continue to see 2 lodges mentioned in one of the safari spots. Does anyone know: does the group take over/get spread out to both of them? I’m a single and would rather be near my travel buddies. Thanks!

• Options

Lion Sands is the first of two bush lodges you’ll stay in. The Tinga Lodge has only 9 suites, so the Naringa Lodge is also used. They are on opposite sides of the Sabi River and a good distance apart.

• Options

Thanks, Mike. That’s what I was noticing in size - I’ll hope to be with at least part of my group! How about the planes? Are they so small that the group is broken into groups for transport?

• Options

We stayed at Narita Lodge and it was just a wonderful place. Also, they drove us to Tinga Lodge one day to have drinks but unfortunately, I don't remember the distance. Both lodges are spectacular!

• Options

Thanks Noreen! From the pictures online, they do look amazing!

• Options

The planes are big enough for an entire group.

• Options

Thanks! Counting down at this point - we’re going in early to go to Robben Island and enjoy Cape Town - all questions answered, starting to set clothing and other items aside - wow!

• Options

One of our best trips taken to date. Once you’ve done Robben Island, and after you’ve heard the Christo Brand talk while at the Cape Grace, you’ll want to read his book. He will have some with him for your purchase and will autograph it for you. It was a really good read.

• Options

We are planning on taking this tour in September 2024. Enjoying the various questions and trip reports.

• Options

Thanks Mike for all the info. What kind of suitcases did you bring? So I need to get duffels or are the usual roller bags ok? Also, for Robbins Island did you get tickets day of or did you get them before?

• Options

We did this tour last November and just took our regular 'check bag size' roller suitcases and backpack style carry-ons. Weight limit was not an issue for us with the weight for each apx. 45 lbs.

• Options

Regular suitcases for checked bags are fine. Just get under or at least close to the 44# limit. We used back packs for carryon purposes.

• Options

You must book Robben Island well in advance. It is very weather dependent, so have a plan B if it is canceled

• Options

Thank you everyone. We don’t leave until,January so I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

• Options

A couple of notes to help your packing. The “green book” suggests umbrellas and binoculars. Both take up space and add weight. Every hotel has loaner umbrellas and the game drive vehicles even have ponchos. The ranger/driver has binoculars they’ll be glad to let you use when you stop for game sightings. There’s no need to bring these items.

• Options
    edited September 2022

We have done K&T three times, and Z,B, & S.A. once, and have never done the ‘Elegant Adventure’. But, on the trips we have done one set of binoculars could easily be shared by two people, but not by seven. On some of our game drives in June, people had there own equipment, but on some we ended up sharing our binoculars with everyone in the back of the safari vehicle. That is not the ideal viewing protocol. If you plan on viewing with binoculars, you should bring your own. When binoculars are needed, those who don’t have them are just along for the ride.

• Options

SeaLord, I agree, you can’t be passing binoculars around, or something you are looking at will be gone. There is also now a Covid consideration about putting something so near your face that someone else has just used. You can find small light binoculars, we have them and always find them useful on safari tours.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Indeed. I kept the new (really good) binoculars next to my camera on the floor of the safari vehicle between us. The camera had a 300mm lens on it, so one of use would use the camera, and the other the binoculars. When traveling I carry the camera, the binoculars, and my headphones in my backbreaker … oops … backpack. It is heavy. We have used small lightweight binoculars in the past, but these new 12X50’s were great. We never bring umbrellas. We bring five safari shirts, three safari pants, underwear for a week, and odds and ends. We have it down to the point where we wear everything at least once, and everything goes home dirty. One set of clean clothes for the ride home. We use the laundry as necessary.

• Options

Sealord, would you mind recommending the manufacturer of the binoculars? I’m considering purchasing a pair or two. The second pair for other family members. Thank you.

• Options

Sealord - I know this thread diverged from its origin, but I'd be in big trouble if I posted pictures of my wife in a thread titled "Weight limit". :D

• Options

The binoculars I bought on Amazon were made by Gllysion … waterproof 12X50. Sam … she’s 99 pounds soaking wet … not a problem.

• Options

But it WAS quite funny!!! I bought some 10x50 and they weigh so much, I’m not sure they’re going to go with me, darn it!

• Options

JASS: The binoculars mentioned above are more compact than others I have owned. They added considerably to the trip. But, that was K&T. They might not be needed in Kruger.