Options

anyone going on the Feb 11-23, 2023 Kenya-Tanzania Safari

edited January 2023 in Kenya & Tanzania

We were supposed to do this Oct 8. 2022 but had to re-schedule as we live im SW FL and hurricane Ian had different plans for us. Can't wait to go on this trip

Comments

• Options

My family and I will be on the trip

• Options
    edited January 2023

We just did this trip in June of 2022, but I’m still envious of you all who are going soon. You will love it!

• Options
    edited January 2023

Stunning photograph worthy of incorporation into a Tauck brochure!

• Options

I did it in October 22. Think it was the best trip I've ever been on The animal sightings were amazing.

• Options

I am glad you received replies without being accused of spam. We found the Tanzania visa easy but needed Tauck help with Kenya. We needed malaria, yellow fever and expensive rabies shots (optional). Not sure about anything else right now, but we hope to leave in a week. Wishing you luck.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Having been to Africa six times, I’ve never know anyone say they got the rabies shots. Years ago, when we first started going to exotic places we went to a Travel clinic but realized the person advising us had never even been abroad and was just reading from the CDC guidelines. When we were going to Costa Rica, where quite frankly you see very few animals anyway, we explained this to her. After discussion, we did not get the rabies shot because it’s really only advised for people going to be there long term. But you do encounter monkeys and when we realized how stupid people were going up to the monkeys we realized why it might be advisable! Even worse, when we were in Zanzibar there was a stray dog on the beach and people in our group went up to it and started to pet It, this is very very unwise. We should keep away from all animals in other countries. I think it’s worth discussing rabies shots carefully if you need to hug every dog or other creature you see. I do know someone, who when I’ve been with her, if we see a dog, she has to stop, chat to the owner and pet their dog. I think she should get rabies shots. They are supposedly to be very painful too.
    Malaria meds are much more important as you never know in advance how many you might encounter and you only need one infected mosquito to bite you. Tourists do come back from Africa and India with malaria. It might be difficult to diagnose because so few doctors in the US have seen it, so might misdiagnose it….and it can take up to a year to start showing symptoms. I’ve seen people with malaria in hospital and it’s awful.

• Options

Lest I be denigrated by other posters, which seems to be common, I am saying our travel clinic in OH, USA, required Yellow Fever vaccinations, Malaria tablets, and (optional) rabies vaccines (rabies cost a lot). They pull up the CDC, for what they are worth with COVID, and show you the options. We opted for it. Just us.

• Options
    edited January 2023

This was our experience, all experiences are different, not right or wrong. I’m certainly not denigrating!

• Options

I hope you have a great trip! It is funny how we both have similar posts, but your post seems ok and mine, well I had problems posting it, seems to be "posta non grata!" Maybe it is better I don't meet someone on my trip? As I said, best of travels! '

• Options

Oh, and when I say rabies is expensive, it is $500 a shot for three shots; 2 in one year and one later in 12 to 24 months. $1500 US. They say it only buys you time if you're bitten or scratched and need the "real" shots, but the vaccine isn't immediately available.

• Options

No comment except tov say with the travel clinics, the more shots they give, the more money they make. For instance, when we used them years ago they charged us per malaria pill. We learned our lesson and our family dr writes the scripts for our malaria pills and it”s really cheap.

• Options

You are right British, first time I went to Africa I went to a travel clinic and it was very expensive, now I just use my doctor.

• Options

I agree with British. For my first TAUCK trip, I used a travel clinic for inoculations and was charged exorbitant fees. They also suggested ‘specialized’ suntan lotion and bug repellants - I declined. After this, I checked with the CDC and went to my local pharmacy for the inoculations and at a reasonable cost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file