Options

Tauck's support

It is easy for tour operators to offer good service when things go according to plan. I was on Tauck's Morocco trip this past December 2022. I fell ill and had to be traqnsported to the hospital. While Tauck did left a message for my family, they provided no additional supprt. Keep in mind, they speak French in Morocco. When my family called the Morocco clinic they told my family I was not there. It is through investigation and threats to Tauck that they needed to find me and inform my family where I was. Eventually my family found me.
I spent 10 days in the hospital in Morocco. Not once did Sylvana call to check on me. Imagine being in intensive care where people barely speak french. Tauck should have had one of their local people come check on me and see if I needed anything. But they could not be bothered.
This treatment is what you can expect if something goes wrong

Comments

• Options

I am shocked and surprised at Tauck for not helping and checking on you. I would have expected more from Tauck and the TD.

• Options

Based on my tours with Tauck, your experience is an anomaly. In New Zealand, a member of our tour who was traveling alone got very sick on one of the chartered flights. Our TD had the EMTs waiting when we got off of the plane in Auckland. They transferred him to the hospital, Our TD went with him and called his brother in the states to come and be with him so that he would not be alone. Many people on the tour were emailing the TD to find out how our new friend was. He kept us up to date for weeks! Another anecdote - I was on the Switzerland tour in September of 2022. A gentleman passed out hiking back to town from the Matterhorn. The TD had him helicoptered out of there within 5 minutes. On the SE Asia tour several people got sick. The TD had doctors come into the hotels in several locations to take care of people. In every instance, the TD was completely on top of what was going on. We travel with Tauck specifically because we have seen this level of attentiveness and care given when something bad happens. I am so sorry this happened to you. I sincerely hope that it is made right in some way.

• Options

I see that this is your first ever visit and post. Welcome. Sorry to hear about your experience. Were you traveling alone?

I certainly wouldn't put this on the TD- A TD has responsibility for a group. Once an individual leaves a tour for whatever reason, the TD will notify Tauck HQ, but then the responsibility for that individual should and must end, unless the TD is able to provide additional assistance without impacting the group. But, from there it is the responsibility of the Tauck Response Team and/or the insurance company. Without knowing both sides of the story, I can't make any judgements about what happened and who didn't do what, but we certainly need more information.

I hope you have recovered.

This brings up a point rarely discussed on the forums- all travelers, especially those traveling on exotic tours to third world countries, need to be aware of what medical facilities may or may not be available, especially if they have a known condition, including old age, that could result in sickness and hospitalization. Tauck has evacuation resources on call, but I'm sure that option can not or will not be used in all cases, due to the severity of the illness, etc..

• Options

On our tour to Ireland last year we had 6 people who had to leave the tour with covid and quarantine locally. Our tour director went above and beyond to make sure they were taken care of and followed up on them regularly. He also ensured Tauck had either rebooked or assisted them with rebooking their flights to return home when they were able to leave Ireland. One of those quarantined ended up on our flight leaving Ireland and said the TD had been fantastic making sure they were well cared for.

• Options

I fell and the TD had me go to a clinic...and she stayed with me while I was there. Also we got back to the hotel late and she arranged for a late dinner for me and my wife.

We have been on 8 Tauck trios, and have found all TD's to be caring people. I suspect you have had an anomaly

• Options

I tore my meniscus in Vietnam a few years ago on the second day of the trip. Things went from bad to worse, starting with a cane and ending up in a wheelchair. I kept up with the group except for some climbing. The TD had a wheelchair meet me in each airport, including all the way back to Boston. I think most tour companies would have sent me home. My husband and I are very loyal Tauck clients from then on. We go on our 5th tour in April.

• Options

I think it's very TD dependent. I've had some TDs who went way above and beyond. I've also had a few others who did the bare minimum required of them.

• Options

A Henry, your story is quite disturbing. While there could be any number of reasons why no one came to see you (were they allowing visitors?), the most troublesome is that a message was left for your family? No repeated attempts to speak to your emergency contact in person?
    When we got Covid at the end of our trip, we did get a call from someone in Tauck guest relations. It was nice of her to call, but she made it clear that if we needed anything, we should call the Aon travel insurance Help Line.
    I think it is going to be a few more years before the pre-pandemic group travel experience gets back up to speed. I suspect every company has taken major hits. I can only imagine how many personnel changes have occurred at Tauck recently. So many people new to their jobs. Not always easy to get straight answers if you call the call center. Communication in general just feels rusty. And as others have mentioned, the website is dinosaurish at times. The app is in drydock. But fortunately you will, for the most part, have yourself a really great tour. Just do your homework in advance, be prepared and take as many precautions as you can to not get sick.

• Options

I’m thinking it’s possible that Tauck may have tried to contact or find you in the hospital and were also told you were not there. These things sadly often happen in hospitals if the admission lists have not been updated and the person you speak to on the phone cannot locate you. More common once they start moving you within the hospital.
    Also we’re you well enough to call the insurance company?
    If Tauck could not find toy, maybe they thought you had gone home. I do agree they should have checked, but people fall ill all the time on tours, so it must be a logistical nightmare for Tauck especially over the holiday period.
    Are you still reading the forum?