Options

Positano

My husband and I are planning our trip in September 2023 I noticed that when we are at the Amalfi coast, we will be spending time in Ravello and Positano. Has anyone who has taken this trip in the past recall how much time you spend in Positano. Since we will be in Naples for a few days prior to the beginning of the Classic Italy tour, I am wondering if we should stop in Positano and visit there for perhaps an afternoon on our own before meeting up with the tour at the hotel in Sorento. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023

It might be helpful to look at Google maps when reading this.

We went on the Classic Italy, Small Group tour in 2016, and at that time the tour visited Amalfi and Ravello, but not Positano, before heading back overland (almost to Naples) to Sorrento at about 4:00 pm. I may be wrong, but I believe all or some of the Amalfi coast road is one-way, or at least one-way for tour buses, southbound.

We had a 7:30 am start, but it wasn't long before we had to switch from our regular, full-size motor coach, which is not allowed on the Amalfi Coast road, to two small touring buses, because a regular size bus is too big and the road is too narrow with sharp switch-backs in places. The small buses don't travel very fast and you may make a few brief photo stops where possible. At approx 9:45 am we stopped in Amalfi for a short visit to the piazza and guided visit to the Cathedral of Amalfi. We only spent about an hour there. We continued on to Ravello, arriving at around noon for lunch a few blocks through town. After a Tauck lunch (which always takes too long) we walked around the now privately owned old Monastero Di S. Chiara to see its beautiful landscaped grounds, flowers and vistas. We departed Ravello at 2:00 pm and arrived back at Sorrento at about 4:00 pm.

Soooo, though you go to Positano, your itinerary and timing appears generally very similar to ours. Note the subtle wording of your itinerary which says, " . . .You take an unhurried drive along the Amalfi Coast, one of Europe's most dramatic shorelines. Stop in Positano and visit Amalfi, where some medieval dwellings date to the 10th century, and Ravello, perched on towering cliffs above the sea. Explore Sorrento's piazzas, old Roman streets and narrow alleys as you please upon your afternoon return, spending the evening as you wish and enjoying dinner on your own.

In short, if you want to spend any amount of time in Positano, for shopping and sightseeing, I suggest you do it before the tour starts.

If you are, in fact, staying in Naples, be advised the city traffic (worse than in Rome), can be horrendous especially in the tunnels on the road to Sorento. While in Naples I suggest you visit Herculaneum (you see Pompeii with Tauck), the National Archaeological Museum of Naples (it has all the sculptures, mosaics, etc. that were removed from Pompeii, Herculaneum, Baia, Paestum, etc.) and possibly the colosseum at Pozzuoli and the ruins in the Baia area.

• Options

We went on this trip in 2016, and as I recall the brief stop in Positano was at the roadside for souvenirs and admiring the view. Possibly a restroom break. It was definitely not a venture into the village. This was one of our favorite Tauck trips! You will love it.

• Options

You may be right about the restroom stop there. :D

• Options

I took this tour last May and the itinerary has not changed.

• Options

In September we did the Naples, Capri and Amalfi coast. Naples as mentioned above is a large city and you either like it or you hate it. Most on our tour did not like it, but I kinda like it. The archaeological museum is awesome and contains most of the artifacts from Pompeii and Herculaneum. I tour guide at the museum can bring them to life and will give you a better sense of Pompeii. The veiled Christ in Naples is also a site not to be missed. I personally think it is more impressive than the David in Florence. In route from Capri via Sorrento the bus stopped (15 minutes) at the lookout above Positano for a photo op and a little fruit snack, then it was on to Amalfi. A day in Capri is a must and I would recommend you do it with Tauck because most likely transport on the island will be included. If you wish to go to Positano use the ferry or if you go to Naples from Sorrento use the ferry. Avoid the train. If you are looking for somewhere else to go the island of Procida is worth a ferry ride. Ferries come in three types- the slow boat, the fast boat and the faster boat.

• Options

Thanks for your comments Ben. I hope you enjoyed your trip, because we are taking it in a few months, and I have not seen any reviews of it. Perhaps it is a new itinerary.
    We loved Naples when we went last year and are looking forward to returning. You are correct about people either loving or hating it. There are parts of the city that go beyond the loveable Italian "shabby chic" and are, well, just shabby, especially near the historic center. But the resilience and spirit of the people shine through very strongly, and they are so friendly and kind. Thanks for the tip about the veiled Christ which we plan to see this trip, as well as our second visit to the fantastic Archeology museum. I'm glad you said Procida was worth it, because I do wish to make a trip as well as to Positano since we are arriving early. If you had any memorable meals during the trip or can report on where restaurant meals were taken in Naples with the tour, so that we do not accidentally duplicate our experience, that would be really helpful. Thank you! (Probably should have started another thread, sorry.)

• Options

I don't know what I am doing wrong on this site. I have tried to thank everyone who has answered my post about Positano and it never shows up. I think I'll try again. THANK YOU. As far as our "on our own" excursion in Naples, the archaeology museum on the top of my list.

• Options

One of our early tours with Tauck, I forget the name, included Ravello, Positano and Sorrento and Pompeii, one of those places I always dreamed of visiting. The plan was for us all to visit Pompeii one day and then the next to go to the museum in Naples and see the Pompeii stuff ….by the way, when my husband visited Pompeii many years ago, he regaled me with all the naughty frescos and mosaics he had seen in Pompeii that are now removed and in the museum.
    But….at the time, all of Italy seems to be on strike. The visit to Pompeii was wonderful, even without the naughty bits!
    The next day, our TD had been informed that many of the major road junctions were going to have striking workers build bonfires in the middle of the roads to block them, so we had to get up very early and leave the hotel and get past a certain road junction before the bonfire was lit. When we got to the Archeological museum in Naples, it was closed due to the strike. Our local guide hammered on the door and used his influence and the threat of a bus load of angry Americans to let us in. They opened up, we saw everything as planned, just our group, as soon as we left, they closed the museum up again. How lucky were we!

• Options

The Naples/Capri/Amalfi trip was a great. Restaurants: Naples-Umberto. 15 minute walk from the seaside hotel location. Capri-Pulalli. when you make the reservation ask for a terrace table. Amalfi-Da Gemma. The people who went there, loved it. We could not get a last minute reservation and went to a great place on a side street and had a blast. Don't remember then name. Make reservations for all three in advance particularly the last two.

Porcida: Easy to do in a day. Go to the ferry terminal and purchase your ticket(also purchase your return ticket.) Just prior to arrival use the ferry restroom regardless of need. The island run east to west with a spine down the middle. Although it is a small island and the distances are short it is a volcanic island and the walking grades are at least moderate. If you have mobility issues don't go. The active ferry port is on the north side. There are shops and restaurants, and it is a busy area. We got off the ferry, walked. down the harbor a short distance and headed up hill. Once you hit the top of the spine you can either go down to the fishing harbor on the south side or stay straight to slightly left and continue to climb to the Terre Murata for the iconic views of the fishing harbor and the pastel houses(that's what we did first.) We did not do any of the tours. We then headed down the the fishing harbor and had lunch(with a bathroom break.) Then when back up and back down to the ferry harbor. Went into some shops and a gelato and return to Naples.

• Options

Thank you Ben for the excellent tips and info. I am so glad you had a great time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file