Malta to Nice in October 2023…traveling solo

I am currently studying the shore excursions to make my selections. Has anyone done this trip or planing it? Thank you

Comments

• I’ve just spent a week in Malta, there is a huge amount of things to see, what are your choices?

• Sandi Rae….we are on this trip October 1. We are going in to Malta a day early to see Gozo.

• Gozo was lovely, check out the Blue Grotto

• We also visited Gozo. One of the sites we visited was the Ggantija Temples. They are reported to be nearly 5,000 years old. There is an interesting interpretive center with several artifacts and diagrams suggesting how the temples might have been built. When we were there it was very hot and there was little shade. If you visit, hats, sunscreen and water would be helpful.

• Yes we went to several temples. Just amazing. So much to see in Malta.

• British - did the guide discuss the alternate theory that some of those sites might be 10-12000 years old? There was an interesting documentary on Netflix about that.

• Yes, maybe, they are certainly older than the pyramids or Stonehenge. They appeal to me more than the pyramids because they are more of a mystery.

• OooH!!! Your conversation is getting me very excited! We are going to Gozo primarily to visit Ggantija!! My hubby and I are fascinated with very old, mysterious sites. I have been to Stonehenge, Egypt, Easter Island, Peru, Great Wall, Ankgor Wat and others. This is one of our reasons for taking this tour…lots of old mysterious places.

• BKMD, Will check out that Netflix soon, many shows to catch up on at the moment.
    We split two weeks between Sicily and Malta. Crammed with visits each day with wonderful food. I’ve spent time since in leggings, I dare not try my jeans. Though shorts did fit yesterday. Will try to post some

highlights to whet appetites

• British - We're at the same elevationi, but I'm at home :)

The Netflix show is called "Ancient Apocalypse." Here's an articel about it: https://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2022-11-20/local-news/Netflix-series-suggests-possibility-that-megalithic-temples-in-Malta-are-far-older-6736247591

• The episode specific to the temples at Malta is Sirius Rising (the third episode). Also included a couple of pictures - an artifact in the interpretative center, wall around the temples, and a picture of part of the temple.

• Great pics! Thank you!

• Marla526: it looks like we will be on the same trip! I will have to look up Gozo to see what everyone is talking about. I also will be arriving a day early. I will be staying at the Phoenician Hotel. I travel as a solo so I look forward to meeting the other travelers. I sailed on this Ponant ship last year on the Venice and the Dalmatian Coast tour. See you in October!

• Hi Sandi! Looking forward to meeting you. We are also staying in the Phoenician. ( we prefer hotels with local feel) We arrive on 9/29 so we actually have two free days prior to the welcome dinner. I think we will just take the ferry to Gozo and do the HOHO bus. Everyone who has been says it’s easy and no guide is needed. Looking forward to meeting you! Marla

• We did this trip this past October. Malta was a wonderful country to visit. So much to see. It was the perfect start to what was a great trip.
    One of our favorite stops was In Corsica. Bonafacio was beautiful and we enjoyed walking through the town. Tauck, as usual, did a wonderful job!

• Wonderful info about Gozo thanks so much . We'll be there in the spring. And Marla if you have a minute let us know how you like the tour, the Phoenician, too. Tat's where we anticipate staying. Best wishes!

• @mazalea Of course! I always post trip reports so future travelers get some ideas. We have benefited from others, and I return the favor, cheers.

• edited August 2023

@Marla526 I will be arriving September 30 flying in from LAX. I will be staying in Nice at the end of the tour for 2 nights, then flying to Warsaw for another Tauck tour! Looking forward to meeting you and visiting Gozo as well. Hope we can meet up at the hotel and you can tell me about when you are going to see Gozo. I chose all of the Tauck recommended tours so hope to see you there! I also was on the Ponant ship Le Jacques Cartier last year sailing from Venice to Croatia and Montenegro, so I will be familiar with the ship!

• @SandiRae…. We will be just recovering from jet lag on the 30th. I’m certain you will be blurry coming from LAX. We fly from MIA. Not sure if we will do Gozo that day or on the 1st. We are staying in Nice for two nights after the cruise as well!! We have been fortunate to have visited most of France many times, but specifically want to go to the Chagall museum nearby. Lucky you with a back to back tour. If you are touring Eastern Europe you will love it.

• Chagall museum is closed on Tuesday.

• @Marla526 Wow! You guys will also be staying in Nice a couple of days! So amazing! I will be at the AC Marriott. I don’t have any specific plans when I am there. I have visited Nice a couple of tours before. I have heard from some friends that it is worth visiting Eze, so I will probably do that. Do you have a plan of how to get from the ship to Nice? Will you just get a taxi?

• @SandiRae No, we don’t have plans from the ship. Waiting to see if Tauck will get us to the hotel. If not, then a cab. We are at the Intercontinental.

• We are doing this trip in June 2024. Questions - I read reviews of the Hop On/Hop Off Bus in Malta and they were not good. I always love to start my tours with them if possible. Anyone have experience with that? If we don't plan to swim or dive, is Gozo still a good choice for visiting? Any other suggestions?

• edited October 2023

I don’t know anything about the Tauck tour but we visited Malta and Gozo this year and there is plenty to see without setting foot on a beach. Just google what to see and do on in Gozo and see what there is to offer.

• edited October 2023

Gaildez, we just disembarked from the gorgeous Le Jacques Cartier in Nice yesterday. Great trip! We saw the HOHO buses in Malta but did not use them.We stayed in the Phoenician which is a short walk to Valetta. We did go to Gozo on our own to see Ggantija and used Uber a lot. I will do a report when we get home. We are currently in Nice and flying home tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file